MCE keyboard (mce_kbd) not working for 'text' keys after upgrading to versions 9.1.00x

• The 'ol issue of the 'text' keys on the MCE IR Keyboard have cropped up again, forcing me to 'back rev' any of the x86 systems that are using them to version 9.0.2

I had found from other users' postings, that the issue cropped up in the development releases, which apparently hadn't been resolved, and moved downstream into the general release...

I had researched the issue last week, but traveled and lost the URL's (developer forum ?) that I was referencing. Several users had encountered the issue, and back-rev'd as I have...

Now that I'm 'at home', I'll re-test the issue, and submit the differences I had found in the "dmesg" and 'log' outputs (between versions 9.0.2, and 9.1.002)

• This is due to an upstream kernel change, previously the mce keyboard events were sent from a separate linux input device, with recent kernels they are sent from the standard rc core input device - and the events are routed through eventlircd (so normal keyboard handling is semi-broken in kodi).

You can disable routing through eventlircd by creating an empty 98-eventlircd.rules udev rules file:

Code
    : > /storage/.config/udev.rules.d/98-eventlircd.rules

This will re-establish keyboard functionality with mce_kbd but also means IR remote events (eg from an MCE remote) will show up as keyboard events in kodi and several buttons like KEY_OK won't work anymore.

This can be solved quite easily, as you are already use a custom rc keymap just change the non working keycodes in it (eg use KEY_ENTER instead of KEY_OK).

so long,

Hias