AC3 5.1 audio with Kodi passthrough problems feeding a Meridian 568

• Hi All,

I'm a new user to Meridian, and I got a nice set of legacy Meridian equipment now in our living room.

So far, audio passthrough like DTS 5.1 and AC3 5.1 worked fine when using an Apple TV 3 for example.

This Apple TV is connected with an SPDIF connection to the 562V.2.

We use this device for Netflix and Airplay.

When for example running a Netflix movie, the Meridian see's the AC3 5.1 signal from a Netflix movie, and plays it without any problem.

Also running a Mac Mini connected with an mini-toslink to toslink gives same result, everything played just fine.

Also running Kodi with the Plex addon, running HD rips with DTS 5.1 and AC3 5.1 audio, plays fine with the Meridian.

I enabled AC3 passthrough within the settings of Kodi.

Running a DVD with the Meridian 596 also runs fine with AC3 5.1 audio.

The Meridian 568 also display's AC3 5.1 just fine here, so looks good I think..

Now the problem is only here, when I switch to the Raspberry Pi 3 model B+ with hifiberry digi+ pro.

I enabled DTS 5.1 and AC3 5.1 passthrough in the settings of Kodi, just like the Mac Mini, but AC3 audio will give lot of digital noise.

I think it's called white noise.

Anyway, DTS 5.1 audio works fine with this device, but AC3 5.1 audio gives only problems.

The 586 does recognise the AC3 5.1 steam perfect, when playing a movie using the Plex addon.

So it sees the codec just fine, and looks good in my opinion.

I've also changed the connection between the Raspberry Pi using different SPDIF cables, and changed to Digital RCA cable as well.

Also changed inputs on the Meridian, but made no difference so far.

Kodi is the most recent version as of this moment, Leia 18.2, I use the built in Kodi Drivers for the Hifiberry Digi+ Pro.

I hope somebody can help me out on this one, I don't know how to fix this problem.

I hope we can enjoy AC3 5.1 movies someday using our Raspberry Pi with Hifiberry Digi+ pro using the Plex addon.

I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong here.. can you help?

Thanks in advance.