RPi4 no video unless forced hdmi mode over SSH

• Long story made short I have been running into issues with the new RPi 4 I picked up and LE where on a fresh install I get absolutely no video output whatsoever to my designated TV which is just a barebones Sceptre '1080p' (native 1366x768) set. Never had this issue with previous Pi models and LE, just this one. Usually I expect it to 'Just Work (tm)' from a base install with no modifications.

Couple things I've done so far:

1) add hdmi_mode=16, hdmi_group=CEA, and hdmi_drive=2 lines in config.txt to force it to a basic HDMI 1080p60 signal. This works for the initial boot and partition resize but once it gets past that to where Kodi should be running it goes back to no signal

2) Connect to the one 4k TV in the house which does seem to work despite still showing a 1080p signal, do all the setup so it can at least connect to Wifi and later I can go back to the 1080p TV, SSH in, and then have to use tvservice to force the above config options every boot.

Any thoughts? Tried seeing if anyone else has reported similar issues but haven't been able to find anything. Using HDMI0 with nothing else attached but power. I'll have to get access again so I can report what tvservice was saying the HDMI mode was set to at every boot. It was 1366x768 but can't remember what other options were listed. It should also be clarified that out of the box with no modifications I don't even get the initial rainbow boot image on the 1080p set. It just reports No Signal the entire time.