Advice me, should I install Libreelec, or continue use Kodi on Ubuntu?

• I have an old HTPC which I built in 2011 if remember it correctly.

The HTPC is only used for Kodi, and the current Ubuntu version I am using is 18.04.

The main usage is watching at videos from my NAS, and I also want to playing ROM games (mainly Genesis and Master System), and maybe later watching streams from services.

I have been thinking about wiping everything and installing Libreelec, as it is a clean solution, and also seems to provide an emulator for Genesis if I remember it correctly (have been trying get the emulator to work for my current setup, but is to much hassle as I have to compile everything myself it seems).

Though from recent news, Libreelec will stop supporting Nvidia, which I understand (blame Nvidia).
    My current hardware is an Intel i3 540 CPU and a Nvidia GT430 GPU.

So I am having some doubts right now if the Intel i3 540 CPU is enough to watch videos with Librelec (getting rid of the Nvidia GT430), my current setup with the GT430 works flawlessly.

I have been thinking also to buy the Nvidia Shield, but I do not like closed solutions, but this is the only solution if I ever want to stream from services with enough quality.

Another option would be to upgrade my HTPC, but I am not sure with which hardware, also it is unnecessary if my Intel i3 540 is enough for the job. I really do not want to throw hardware which can make the job...

• Kodi will remove nVidia support sometime soon, but that only impacts development for v19 and the release date for that is still a long way off. So have a play with LE (using the nVidia card that works with v18) and worry about the upgrade when the time comes, by which time there will be updated and new hardware available to choose from.