The adventures of LibreElec and a really old IR remote..

• Thanks a lot for the tests!

The MCE USB dongle could receive something but unfortunately it doesn't look like valid IR signals so we can't use it to get the details of the Xbox remote protocol. It was worth a try, though.

I managed to deduce parameters from the ir-keytable -t output though and had a shot at using them in the xbox remote driver. Can you please test with this image (for RPi2/3)?
    libreelec-rpi2.arm-9.0-devel-20190323102559-d446ddb.tar

When you test with this image please keep an eye on "double-action" button presses (i.e. if a short button click results in 2 or more movements). I've added a bit of headroom to the parameters but if they are too strict they could (occasionally) happen and we'd need to increase the headroom.

so long,

Hias

• That is definitely an improvement! It's a lot closer to normal than it was! I just moved around menus for about 10 minutes trying to see any patterns that occurred. There wasn't a single double-action that occurred, no matter how slowly or quickly I pressed any button. However the same issue as before was still present, just a little better. Originally in LE9.0.1 if I pressed any single button 5 times quickly, it would move twice, pause, and then jump somewhere between 2-4 spaces. Now if I press a button 5 times quickly it will move three places, then pause and jump ahead. However, I have to press the buttons very fast now, where as before it was just anything moderately fast. So we are definitely a lot closer than before! I'm not sure how easy it is to compile an update to tweak one driver, but I sincerely do appreciate you putting in all this work!

I will gladly test anything else you need, the rPi that I bought didn't exactly have a purpose in my house, I just wanted to play with it, so this is absolutely no issue for me at all!

• Thanks a lot for testing!

I've sent my changes to the driver author and the Linux kernel IR maintainer to get some more feedback and testing media: rc: xbox_remote: add protocol and set timeout - Patchwork and I'll later push a PR so it'll be added to future LibreELEC releases.

I'm not sure if there's anything we can do about the performance of quickly repeated button presses. The current parameters (64ms period plus 10ms timeout) are rather similar to the ones of the lirc_xbox driver (which used a default of 100ms to distinguish between repeated button presses and new ones) so I'd expect to be performance to be about the same.

Other remotes / protocols like eg rc-6 (used on MCE remotes) contain a "toggle bit" to distinguish between held down buttons and new button presses which helps a lot to improve the performance on quickly repeated button presses. The xbox remote driver doesn't seem to set that bit, could well be that the IR protocol or IR receiver don't support that.

so long,

Hias

• Well I appreciate all you've done to help! It's truly more than I expected! One thing I did learn by accident is that using CEC controls actually controls LE very well (I accidentally sat on the TV remote and noticed it moved the menu lol) so I do have an alternative that wont cause me to invest anything else! So I'll be content while this (hopefully, maybe?) gets worked on more down the line!

Thanks again for even trying! The service here is second to none!