New here, and I like the crowd.....

• I'm considering switching from OpenElec. As a long time OE user, I enjoyed addons like Reddit & Youtube. I seem to have more and more trouble on OE with these and more. Even had to make my own .conf file to display on my TV properly.

Is it true DRM , or whatever, content will be soon accessible. (ie: Netflix or Hulu). With a legit subscription of course. That would really make this a front and center OS for home entertainment. I have a probably small, personal collection of over 300 movies (three computers and a long winter later). That alone gets old quick. To see current content is key.

I plan on installing LE on an old laptop. I stream with a RPI2 in the bedroom from said machine/external drive. We also have the Kindle and a smart TV that streams from it.

I'm most interested in the long term viability and support before diving in. The community seems fantastic and very active.

Thanks for having me.

• OpenELEC is basically E.O.L. after 2 years now. It lacks all the necessary system and security updates of those years.

LibreELEC is 'forked' from OpenELEC and fully up-to-date, with various official builds, community builds and nightly builds and all.

Netflix is still a work in progress but the basics are working, A Hulu add-on is currently not in the works.

For Netflix, a Raspberry Pi 3B+ is recommended if you are talking RPi devices.

An "old laptop" and Netflix... How old is it, and which specifications does the laptop have?

"Long term viability" is an ugly term in the computer land. Don't expect to buy computer hardware that will last you 5-6 years. New technology can come and go quickly. Think of things like 4K, HDR(10+), h265/HEVC, 10 bits for video only. Various audio options are also thrown into the mix.

• Thanks for the reply.

It's an old HP laptop with an i3 running at 2.4Ghz. 4 gig ram. I'm not near it right now to get exacting specs.

I guess I meant support as far long term viability. I'd hate to transition just to find out it petered out. But it sounds like its solid. I am due for 18-24" of snow here in Northern Maine. Maybe I'll just spend some time playing with that.

I understand hardware and long term are not congruent.