Occasional rendering glitches w/ >20mbps 1080p AVC video on X96 Mini (S905-W CPU Mali-450 GPU)

• I've been using the 'LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2.4.2-Test2-wetekdvb.img' build of Kodi on an X96 Mini (S905-W CPU, Mali-450 GPU, 2GB RAM) for about 6 months now.

However as I'm increasingly watching lossless bluray remuxes, I've been noticing more and more hiccups recently.

There's one particular glitch that I'll notice 2 or 3 times during the course of a film, whereby the bottom half of the video suddenly scrambles and becomes very pixelly and glitchy for a second, before reverting to normal.

Last night however, I was experiencing this glitch about once every 30 seconds with a max video bitrate of ~35mbps, making the film almost unwatchable:

Gr959SS.jpg

xoU5ua3.jpg

There was also a period where the color greyed and horizontal red and green horizontal bands appeared, which got worse and worse over time.
    Stopping the video (or seeking to a different time in the video) and then resuming fixed this. This appears to be a separate issue as I'd never experienced this before, unlike the glitchy pixellated bottom described above:

Video Link (There's also an appearance of the first glitch in within the first 2 seconds)

Here's a screenshot from the video, look at the red box on the left or the white strip of wood running down the wall in the centre, you will see red and green bands. I should have taken a picture a few minutes after this, where the red and green bands were much more pronounced, and the video was looking noticeably de-saturated:

f6HN1J3.jpg

At one point the film froze completely and the audio just looped half a second of audio until I rebooted. Again, never experienced this before either.

It was also a bit jerky in the playback, not a consistent framerate, but the player debug info suggested there were no such issues.

aq was consistently 98-99%, vq consistently 85-89%

It eventually seemed to correct itself and the latter half of the film played relatively OK.

The video in question was being played from a USB stick, which can easily be read at speeds above 35mbps.

The video was not a re-encoding, but a remux of the original bluray disc, 23.976 fps, 1080p AVC video, DTS S16 5.1 audio, in an MKV container.

I could provide the entire mediainfo for the video, but nothing strikes me as being different from other videos that have played almost flawlessly on the device, except a marginally higher bitrate than usual.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? Is there any way to overcome it?

Is there a more up-to-date/better version of LibreELEC/Kodi that I can install for my device?

Edited once, last by hedgehog90 (December 31, 2018 at 5:32 PM).