Playback and UI freeze on network loss

• Hello,

When I play files over NFS : if the WiFi (or ethernet) is down (for example, if my wifi router crashed), the playback stops (thats okay) but I can't even stop the video to check what's wrong. So, the issue is that I'm getting a black screen and I'm forced to reboot.

Is there a setting to stop the playback if the stream is no longer available ? Or display an error if the stream could not be played anymore ?

Thank you.

• Is there a setting to stop the playback if the stream is no longer available ? Or display an error if the stream could not be played anymore ?

No, there is no such setting. But why not try to fix the shoddy network performance instead? If my router crashes regularly, I would do something about it. Ethernet connections should have no trouble transporting any video whatsoever. Wifi is a very individual thing, where each situation is different.

• Thank you for your reply :) !

Unfortunately, thats my ISP router and I can't afford to buy a new one for now, to get a better WiFi performance/stability. It's not crashing every days, but it's quite annoying to unplug the device every time.

This "bug" always bothered me and I though there was a fix (or an issue with my configuration) because VLC or Windows doesn't crash when the ethernet/WiFi is down.

--

edit : is there a NFS timeout option ? A 30s timeout or something like that should be fine.

Edited once, last by ojio_san: Added question (December 29, 2018 at 9:49 AM).