IR receiver gets signals but they aren't passed any further

• Edit: Was just a flat battery! Didn't realise it could partially work in that condition.

Hi all, I'm struggling to find out where the problem is in getting my remote working.

I'm using LibreELEC 8.2.5, on an Acer Revo 3700, with an HP MCE remote and receiver. I've followed the troubleshooting steps here: Infrared Remotes [LibreELEC.wiki]

My progress is pasted below. Essentially I get feedback from "ir-ctl -r", but not from "ir-keytable -t". Unsurprisingly, I get nothing from "irw", either. I have also tried "ir-keytable -p <protocol> -t" for each of the supported protocols, with no luck. I've played around with different keymaps to no avail, but I presume the problem is at a lower level than that, anyway.

I've been searching here and googling but I haven't found any examples of someone stuck at this particular point. Any ideas on how I can progress would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Code
    root@revo:~# ir-keytable
    Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event8) with:
            Driver mceusb, table rc-rc6-mce
            Supported protocols: lirc rc-5 rc-5-sz jvc sony nec sanyo mce_kbd rc-6 sharp xmp
            Enabled protocols: lirc nec rc-6
            Name: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared
            bus: 3, vendor/product: 1934:5168, version: 0x0001
            Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
    Code
    root@revo:~# ir-ctl -r
    pulse 1950
    space 63000
    pulse 1350
    space 16777215
    <etc>
    Code
    root@revo:~# ps | grep /usr/sbin/lircd
     1250 root       0:00 grep /usr/sbin/lircd

root@revo:~#
    Code
    root@revo:~# systemctl stop eventlircd

root@revo:~# systemctl stop kodi

root@revo:~# ir-keytable -t
    Testing events. Please, press CTRL-C to abort.
    <no results when I press the buttons>

root@revo:~#

Edited once, last by imathew: Update (March 11, 2019 at 10:38 AM).

• Can you please check it this also happens on the latest alpha release (currently 8.90.006)?

I've been testing quite a lot with the HP branded MCE USB receiver (also USB VID/PID 1934:5168) plus 2 HP branded MCE remotes and they worked out of the box.

so long,

Hias

• Thanks HiassofT, I just wiped and installed 8.90.006, I made no configuration changes to the OOTB settings except to enable SSH and connect to my wifi, and get exactly the same symptoms as above when following the same series of commands.

"ir-ctl -r" reports keypresses, but I can't get any further.

Thanks, Matt.

• Stupid question: have you tried new batteries in your remote?

If that doesn't help please post your journal journalctl -a | paste and the full output of ir-ctl -r from a short button press.

so long,

Hias

• Not a dumb question at all - in fact, it's an old battery, has been in storage for a while. I would have suspected it first but I thought the fact ir-ctl showed keypresses meant it must be working. But perhaps it needs more power to work correctly? I need to buy a new one, will report back when I do. Thanks.

• ir-ctl -r will show you the raw signals and you can use it as a simple check if something is received. If you have bad batteries, bad reception or interference you could still get "something", but that doesn't neccessarily mean it's a valid signal that can be decoded.

By looking at the exact pulse/space durations it's possible though to see if it's garbage, a valid remote signal or some unsupported protocol.

In case of MCE remotes the most likely cause is bad batteries, bad reception or interference - that protocol is well supported and also your IR receiver is know to work well.

so long,

Hias

• Hi dear all,

Same to me with home-brew IR serial receiver and Panasonic TV remote:

ir-ctl -r return space/pulse but ir-keytable -t wan't to recognize signal with any protocol.

I'm totally new in LibreELEC but old OpenELEC user.

Before I use same receiver with same remote with no problems. My old lircd.conf is:

Is there any chance for me to setup my old IR devices with new fancy LibreELEC?

Thank you!

• If ir-keytable -p all -t didn't output anything then either eventlircd or kodi were running in the background or the remote uses an odd protocol that's not supported by in-kernel decoding.

I haven't looked in detail at your lircd.conf file but it looks like it might indeed by the Panasonic protocol, which isn't supported (yet).

So, just use your lircd.conf file, you only have to change the KEY_ names to match the official key names input-event-codes.h\linux\uapi\include - kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git - Linux kernel source tree

In LibreELEC 8.2 you have to enable Lirc in LibreELEC Settings, in LE 9 and the current alpha versions lirc will be started automatically when a /storage/.config/lircd.conf file is present.

Also read the info in the wiki Infrared Remotes [LibreELEC.wiki]

so long,

Hias