Libreelec gets IP from DHCP, but does not register its hostname with DHCP/DNS

• I would like to change the hostname of LibreElec as I have more than one that I am testing out. I know I can go to /storage/.cache/hostname to change it.

But the problem I'm seeing is that this box does not register its hostname with DHCP/DNS Server - which is my ASUS Wireless Router.

Please advice if anyone has DDNS working for local network. (I'm not talking external IP using dons.org, I'm talking about DDNS within the local network)

I believe I'm running a fairly newer LibreElec with Kodi 17.6. (Don't know exact version as I'd changed the skin). I am SSH'd into it and can get the version number from CLI quickly If I know where to look. Thanks.

• Official Post

LE uses connman which does send the hostname in the DHCP request. However, if the positively ancient Samba support in current ASUS routers is representative of their router codebase it's more likely that the router (even if it's a shiny new model) has some ancient DHCP server binary that only supports older windows-only methods of name registration.

NB: The hostname should be changed via the LE settings app. This writes the file to oe_settings.xml which is read and propagated to the .cache and other locations on startup. You should not modify the file directly.

• For some odd reason, the hostname is now getting registered with DHCP/DNS Server. I didn't have to do anything.

I even changed the hostname in LE settings and rebooted. The new Hostname was immediately registered and resolves on my local network. Thanks for your help.