Airties 7210 > Broadcam BCM7230 Chip > LibreELEC possible?

• Hi all,

I recently picked up an discarded Orange OHD80 IPTV box, which turns on and seems to be functioning but has a proprietary Orange software solution installed on it and won't get any further than the page requesting a user code, which I obviously don't have.

From a bit of research, it appears that this box is actually a rebranded Airties 7210, which runs on the Broadcam BCM7230 chip.

I quite like the form factor (and I have the remote), and I was just wondering if it would be possible to install LibreELEC or another similar Linux-based software solution directly onto the box? As the box has an aerial input and two USB slots, I'd be interested in any solution that could essentially turn it into a PVR for terrestrial digital TV broadcasts. KODI's wider functions would be an added bonus. I am not particularly technically minded and don't know if this is possible? I tried to simply put a USB stick with a Linux Mint live OS on it (I know this would be overkill for this unit, but it was the only thing I had hanging around to test out) into one of USB slots but it still booted straight to the Orange OS, and I haven't been able to find instructions on the internet as to how to force it to boot from the USB instead.

Basically, I want to know if it is worth holding onto the box and fiddling around or whether its a lost cause and I might as well bin it?

Thanks

Dave