Another remote double keypress (RPi 3B + TSOP4838 + Avermedia RM-HV remote)

• Hi, everybody!

I'm new here, after reading for some weeks while trying to solve the (obvious?) remote double keypress.

Hardware description: Raspberry Pi 3B + TSOP4838 IR chip + Avermedia RM-HV remote (taken from an internal Speedy Avermedia TDT card) + new remote batteries

Every piece of hardware checked working itself.

Note: the TSOP4838 is powered at 5V. and also has the recommended RC power filter, and its output voltage level is translated to 3.3V and attached to the Raspberry pin #18.

Software description: LibreELEC 8.2.4 in a SD card, new installation, not from update.

CEC disabled

Lirc disabled

Special files:

----------------------------------------------------------------

/storage/.config/autostart.sh:

ir-keytable -a /storage/.config/rc_maps.cfg

/flash/config.txt:

dtoverlay=gpio-ir

dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi

/storage/.config/rc_maps.cfg:

* * avermedia_remote

/storage/.config/rc_keymaps/avermedia_remote:

# table avermedia_remote, type: NEC

0x200 KEY_POWER

0x222 KEY_SLEEP

0x203 KEY_TEXT

0x203 KEY_RED

0x226 KEY_GREEN

0x227 KEY_YELLOW

0x22B KEY_BLUE

0x205 KEY_1

0x206 KEY_2

0x207 KEY_3

0x209 KEY_4

0x20A KEY_5

0x20B KEY_6

0x20D KEY_7

0x20E KEY_8

0x20F KEY_9

0x22E KEY_DOT

0x211 KEY_0

0x233 KEY_CLEAR

0x22A KEY_BACK

0x236 KEY_UP

0x237 KEY_HOME

0x232 KEY_LEFT

0x23E KEY_OK

0x23F KEY_RIGHT

0x212 KEY_INFO

0x22C KEY_DOWN

0x228 KEY_SELECT

0x204 KEY_EPG

0x303 KEY_CHANNELUP

0x21F KEY_VOLUMEUP

0x214 KEY_MUTE

0x302 KEY_CHANNELDOWN

0x21E KEY_VOLUMEDOWN

0x208 KEY_AUDIO

0x235 KEY_TV

0x239 KEY_VIDEO

0x218 KEY_PLAYPAUSE

0x219 KEY_RECORD

0x21B KEY_STOP

0x21D KEY_FASTREVERSE

0x21C KEY_FASTFORWARD

0x300 KEY_NEXT

0x301 KEY_PREVIOUS

Symptom:

Double keypress

Something that may help:

In my first installation, trying everything, I could see that enabling and disabling Lirc under LibreELEC config seemed to solve the problem,

so I used this /storage/.config/autostart.sh:

lircd start

killall lircd

but this "solution" was not good, because then the remote was hard to use, I had to point directly to the TSOP4838 to be sure it would work, and sometimes it did not work. Well, at least I could continue the installation, but suddenly the remote failed almost every time, so I decided to reinstall again and try to solve the problem, but without success.

My question is:

Everything seems to be OK, but the double keypress is here. May someone help me to do a good configuration?

Now I doubt if it's possible to make it work ok, with my hardware and using the kernel. Should I use the old lirc? :dodgy:

Sorry for my long message and thank you in advance

• Connect the TSOP4838 to 3.3V and drop the voltage translation circuit - TSOP4838 can be powered from 2.5 to 5.5V (see the datasheet tsop48.pdf ).

Also drop all modifications to autostart.sh - you only need to set up rc_maps.cfg and put the keytable in rc_keymaps. This config will be automatically picked up.

If you still have problems post the output of ir-keytable. If you have another ir receiver (eg on a DVB USB dongle) you could get double keypresses as the signal will be received by 2 receivers.

so long,

Hias

• Thank you both for your fast response.

bublegum57: I've been playing with the ir-keytable -D 375 -P 100, and now I'm not sure if some change has been permanent or all changes are volatile. If not, Do you know if I can reset its configuration?

HiassofT:

My first trying was 3.3V of course. I agree the datasheet says 2.5 to 5.5V, but none of the tree TSOP4838 y bought some years ago works at

V < 4V. so I used 5V. Maybe I bought the TSOP4838 and the store gave me another model, you know...

I removed (in autostart.sh) the

but wouldn't the

line in autostart.sh be a security, or if rc_maps.cfg is present will be always loaded?

and of course the
    lircd start

killall lircd

were removed some days ago.

Finally the behaviour is the same: double keypress... UNTIL i READ CAREFULLY AGAIN YOUR MESSAGE: "If you have another ir receiver (eg on a DVB USB dongle)" , I looked at the USB tuner and saw it always had two small thinnies, to use the COMMANDER I NEVER BOUGHT. :cry:

I checked it and it was also receiving the commander, unplugged it and the commander worked perfect. Well, the aluminium tape will solve it.

Now I've two new questions (maybe I should begin two new threads?)

I'm not happy using the Avermedia commander, because it's beeing also used with the computer and I'd prefer a commander specialy designed for kodi, like the one that comes with the A95x TV Box, but I'd like to buy only the commander. Do you know any commander (good and cheap) like this one?

Also I choose the hand-made IR receiver because I added a led to signal the infrared reception, and it works, but after so many days reading almost everything in internet, I found that the Raspberry pin #17 is sometimes used in lirc systems as output so I thought: Would it be possible to use this or another Raspberry pin to signal the infrared reception? I mean like the kodi sound every time a key is pressed. Maybe an addon is needed?

Thank you both again and I'm sorry for my mistake :angel:

• With 2 IR receivers the configuration is a bit tricky.

Your "* * avermedia_remote" rc_maps.cfg will configure both the gpio-ir receiver and the receiver on your DVB dongle to decode the signals of your remote. One possibility is to change the file so that only the gpio-ir receiver is configured:

Code
    gpio-rc-recv * avermedia_remote

Another thing to keep in mind is that it's not guaranteed that the gpio ir receiver will always be the first IR device (check the output of "ir-keytable"). If you manually run ir-keytable to change the config it'll apply the settings to the first rc device (rc0) unless you explicitly change that with the "-s" option.

The automatic configuration run by the udev rules take care of that, ir-keytable -a will be run for all your IR receivers with -s set appropriately - so that rc_maps.cfg is applied to all IR receivers on your system.

So, better remove the ir-keytable call from your autostart.sh.

Instead of covering the IR receiver with black or aluminium tape it'd be better to blacklist the the driver for the IR receiver in your DVB dongle - or just use the IR receiver in your DVB and not add gpio-ir. With only one receiver life's a lot easier :)

so long,

Hias

• Thank you again, HiassofT:

So if I understood well, to use the only the gpio receiver having the dvb dongle inserted and avoid the need of aluminium tape, I remove all the lines I added to autostart.sh and

use this rc_maps.cfg:

# driver table file

gpio-rc-recv rc-rc6-mce avermedia_remote

And the line ir-keytable -a /storage/.config/rc_maps.cfg will be not needed not even in first installation, right? :cool:

I thank you your interest, this is a little nightmare for me.

• Yes, this setup will work.

One thing to keep in mind is that the IR receiver of your DVB dongle will still be setup with the kernel driver's default config (in most cases to decode the manufacturer's remote, eg hauppauge remotes on hauppauge dongles - ir-keytable will tell you which table is active). If that causes issues (eg when you also use such a remote in the same room) you'll still need aluminium tape or blacklist the IR receiver driver module.

The only case when you might want to run "ir-keytable -a ..." manually is when testing a new setup, to check if it works and eg find out if you have typos in your files. This is why I mentioned it in the wiki Infrared Remotes [LibreELEC.wiki]. If you are sure everything's correct you could also just reboot so the config is automatically applied.

so long,

Hias