Spanish punctuation on subtitles/closed caption

• I may be asking the obvious here, but I seem to be having trouble with closed caption or subtitles for Spanish text. When viewing a spanish station, I can get the closed caption, but there is no punctuation with it (accent marks, upside down question mark). On a regular tv viewing the same program, I can get the punctuation. I have set the language options for subtitles, but I don't think that has to do with the close caption anyway.

I am running Libreelec with TvHeadEnd on Raspberry Pi.

Any advice? Thanks.

• Thank you for your suggested test.

I did try VLC after you suggested it, and the captions were fine with all the diacriticals (thanks for the good terminology).

I also tried streaming real time, using the TVHClient app on android, to stream a channel from TVHeadEnd on the Libreelec system to VLC on android, and the subtitles were also fine. It is only when I play it on Libreelec, that all the diacriticals go away. I don't recall if I also tried playing a recording via "Video" menu rather than "Recordings" menu. I tried various combinations of language/character set , all with the same results. It could maybe be something I don't have configured properly, or maybe about the TVH client that is running on Libreelec?

• On Leia, latest build 0310, I cannot get the diacriticals. Is there any other place I need to make setting other than the player->language settings? Though I don't believe those setting matter a whole lot, since I can choose subtitle options while playing the channel.

• I have tried various combinations of fonts I found on line, with provided character sets. Sometimes I notice where an accented character belongs, the character is missing (that is a little promising). But I still can't get this to work. I have managed to get the upside down exclamation point sometimes, but that is as far as I could get. Could this be related to the "character sets", and if so, how do I add other character sets?