Maximum DVMT on Intel NUC

• Hi all,

I need some advice here, I did search for an answer here on the forums but did not find it yet. Maybe I did not look good, but I think I did :)

When running LibreELEC (dedicated) on a Core i3 Intel NUC with 8G RAM and Ubuntu as OS, should I set Maximum DVMT in the BIOS to 512M RAM? Or leave I to the default 64M?

The NUC is connected to my tv with HDMI, the content (1080p MKV's) is located on my Synology NAS. So the NUC is doing all the encoding I guess?

Is LibreELEC then using the CPU or also the GPU? So that's why my question about the Maximum DVMT setting in the BIOS.

Hope someone knows the answer to this :)

Cheers,

Marcel

• You didn't specify your Intel NUC model? for decoding videos your NUC mostly rely on built in VPU and doesn't use the gpu and cpu , if the vpu supported the codec of your videos it decode it , if not it uses cpu to decode, with software decoder and deppende of your video format software decoder may plays it choppy. this situation mostly happen for new video formats like HEVC and VP9 if your NUC is old. DVMT is determines how much RAM and VRAM is needed at each moment in time and will temporarily allocate more VRAM when it is needed, kodi doesn't have any graphic sensitive task which stress your gpu i think you should leave it in default.

Edited once, last by Aroosha (February 16, 2018 at 4:34 PM).

• Your 6 years old Ivy Bridge NUC is quite capable for many tasks but not as HTPC, it's VPU is outdated and doesn't have Hardware accelerated algorithms for decoding common video formats like HEVC and VP9 and you should relying on software decoder and playing high bitrate videos in mentioned format may result stuttering and choppy playback. It has HDMI 1.4 display interface which can't output videos above 4K@30FPS. I think it is time to upgrade to cheap S905X devices.