LibreELEC 8.2.3 on raspberry pi 3 - UPnP faster than Samba

• Guys,

some more updates, in case somebody else with a Zyxel NSA325v2 (older NAS) and a RPi3. In the Kodi forum I got areply from zehner, who said:

I have the same NAS and a Pi2 and a Pi3 and after a few optimizations I can stream blurays even via WIFI, so your hardware should not be the limiting factor. Recommended optimizations (let's assume you have no errors in your configuration)

Prefer linux system mounts (fstab) over KODI mounts (smb://). Really a huge difference (nearly double the speed) in my tests a few years ago

m

So I decided to give it a go, flashed brand new LibreELEC 8.2.3 on my RPi3 and mounted my NAS from command line (SSH):

mount -t cifs -o sec=none,vers=1.0 //192.168.1.2/video /storage/nas

Now - that`s the interesting part, I cannot connect to my NAS if not using sec=none and vers=1.0, will not go into details here why, because what`s more important...

Started Kodi, default setup:

- No MPG2/WVC1 codecs eenabled

- No additionalsettings.xml created, i.e. using default cache (20MB)

- gpu_mem = 256

... And it all work flawlessly!!!!

As seen I have went to great lengths in tearing down my home network (firmware updates, samba updates, etc, etc), and at the end this made the best impact so far.

Interested in milhouse and smp and ChimeyJimmey opinion.

Zehner also told me that:

I don't think the SMB updates in LE are the source of your problem, because I have seen the same performance difference in Ubuntu, Suse, Gentoo, ... A system mount (fstab) is always faster as a program mount (e.g. Dolphin in KDE)

For everybody with same issues, I did not change my fstab, but rather created autorun.sh with following details:

#! /bin/sh

(sleep 5;

mount -t cifs -o sec=none,vers=1.0 //192.168.1.2/video /storage/nas

So that`s it, hope this helps someone else:))

• Yep, that`s true, I am still not sure why the local mount or system mount is better or faster than a program mount, but the difference is mind blowing.

Also what is interesting is that we know in Kodi 17/18 there is no Samba browsing, but some users (the case is a user running latest Samba server on Ubuntu) is able to browse his Samba shares directly through Kodi.

For me - I have to manually add smb://ip to be in the game...