update Kodi 17.6 update

• I'm running LibreELEC 8.2.2 on a Raspberry Pi 3, updater is configured for manual update and notification.

I found that since a while - unfortunately I can't say exactly since when - I have not received the "Update available" notification anymore. There is definitely none for 8.2.3. I reboot my Pi regularly, and also have it running for a while regularly. I remember from before that the update notification used to appear a few seconds after booting into Kodi.

Using the LibreELEC config addon and manually listing the available versions there, including download for update, works correctly.

I can't find anything in the debug log pertaining to update check or failure thereof.

Using a packet sniffer and Google, I found that the update check URL for me seems to be as follows:

Code
    https://update.libreelec.tv/updates.php?i=[My-ID]&d=LibreELEC&pa=RPi2.arm&v=8.2.2&l=0

where "[My-ID]" is, according to the Wiki, the MD5 hash of my Pi's primary NIC. That request is sent at least on every boot of my Pi.

Very interesting: When I enter that URL into Firefox (or use urlquery), a blank page (or blank file if I use wget on Linux) is returned. I'm assuming the URL should return something like Google has cached for a similar query?

Code
    This is Google's cache of https://update.libreelec.tv/updates.php?i=4794f77050a45f7e0023677e07eb1a46&d=LibreELEC&pa=Generic.x86_64&v=8.2.0&l=1. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on 30 Dec 2017 00:03:17 GMT."

{"data":{"update":"LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.2.2.tar","folder":"releases","host":"","MD5":"58a7cdfdde2359882c5a24c641867db0"}}

As I said, the methods I used returns an empty page, whatever I put into the parameters after updates.php. Maybe the detection PHP script on the server is broken somehow?

For me (and the Google NS, urlquery.net and tcpiputils.com) "update.libreelec.tv" resolves to 165.227.152.174 which is hosted by DigitalOcean and apparently located at the or close to the DE-CIX in Frankfurt. The certificate presented by the server is issued by LetsEncrypt and was created January 20th 2018.

SSL Server Test: update.libreelec.tv (Powered by Qualys SSL Labs)

• Additional info: The nginx web server seems to be responding okay. It returns a 404 error when I enter random resource names, and replies OK for "updates.php":

HTTP
    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8

Server: nginx
    Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 18:56:38 GMT
    Transfer-Encoding: chunked
    Connection: keep-alive
    Content-Encoding: gzip

The actual returned resource is empty though.

• Please forgive any confusion. My previous post, the "additional info", refers to a post I made before that, which apparently got "disabled for review by a moderator" when I edited it.

In my first post, I outlined how I found that entering the LibreELEC update check URL (see below) into a browser or service like urlquery results in an empty page/file. So maybe the update.php script on LibreELEC's update check server is broken somehow?

Code
    https://update.libreelec.tv/updates.php?i=[My-ID]&d=LibreELEC&pa=RPi2.arm&v=8.2.2&l=0
    where [My-ID] is the MD5 hash of the device's NIC as per the LibreELEC Wiki.

I guess my initial post with additional findings and info will be unlocked soon. :)

• It seems someone fixed something.

I just got a message "LibreELEC update available" on my LE 8.2.2 upon startup.

"update.libreelec.tv" now resolves to 46.101.13.226 which is located in London and owned by the same provider as the old one (Digital Ocean).

The SSL certificate was changed. The old one was valid for "update.libreelec.net" and "update.libreelec.tv" and created on January 20th. The new one is valid for "update.libreelec.tv" only and was created on January 15th. Both certs come from Letsencrypt.

The server now gives proper/useful responses to "updates.php" queries.

Can someone elaborate about the IP and cert change, what was wrong before and what was changed so that it works again now?

• The new server presents two certificates. The one mentioned above, and additionally a Letsencrypt cert for "libreelec.tv", created January 1st and valid until April 1st.

The actual "libreelec.tv" website though uses a certificate created by COMODO.

Can someone elaborate?

• More info: According to the VirusTotal domain history, the IP address that "update.libreelec.tv" now resolves to is the one that it also resolved to in the past, more precisely, in June 2016.

• Official Post

The update back-end is currently hosted on the same server that hosts the main website and a few other things. The plan was to relocate the update function to another box, and most backoffice things are also moving from .tv to our .net domain. The update move worked when first done, but the server has issues and appears to have stopped responding properly - but wasn't noticed. All that's been done is the DNS for .tv was moved back to the old server which was then updated with 8.2.3 update details. All the certs we use are from letsencrpt but a few things like the website/forum are fronted by cloudflare who sub their own certs instead. At some point in the next week or so the issues on the new server may get fixed and the DNS will move again .. aka "nothing to see here, move along please"