PCTV Quatro 510e - recognized but not really tuning

• Hi guys,

today I found (an older version of) this stick in my drawer. I must have bought it about nine years ago and never really got it to work, put it in the drawer and mostly forgot about it. A quick check on the LinuxTV Wiki in the old data section showed that the stick should be supported. Indeed, the firmware as listed by Hauppauge is available in LibreELEC and TvHeadend recognizes the stick.

However, when trying to tune to a station (using GDPR-2 's Leia build on a 2G/16G A95X booted from USB stick), it does not work. There was some ragged sound at some point for one station, but never a picture. I even tried an attenuator as suggested for the sticks nano-sibling on the LinuxTV Wiki, but to no avail.

Do you have any suggestions what I might try? If not, it will just go back to the drawer, I guess :dodgy:

• Sure, here we go.

I found a line in the file saying:

Code
    em28xx 1-2:1.0: Currently, V4L2 is not supported on this model

Surely, that cannot be good. Also, I activated trace debug for "config" and "dvb" in TvHeadend, and within not even a minute it produced a file of about 10MB (which was too large for pastebinit or an attachment here ...), but I could certainly cut that one down if there is interest.

Update: I just attached the stick to my Rpi3 running LE 8.2.0.1 (dmesg | paste; same message as above) but it works (more or less, quality is worse than with the XBOX ONE tuner, I would say).

Update 2: I also attached the stick to my Wetek Play (AML-8276-MX). Here, some picture and audio was visible, but in really bad quality not watchable; lots of blocks and discontinuities).

Edited 2 times, last by chessplayer (December 9, 2017 at 8:48 PM).

• CvH , sorry, but I am not sure what you mean here (still too inexperienced, I guess). I have never used any specific driver addon (except for the Sundtek Service). Where would I find those and which machine(s)/build(s) would you want me to try it on?

My guess is that is has to do with your section on libreelec.tv and what you are writing about here, but is it possible to just install the addon (if so: where from?) or would I have to overwrite the image I already have (with which one for a AML S905X box?)?

I must admit that I have not yet come to terms with those "media builds" that keep popping up in some posts/threads and I am getting the feeling that I should ... ?(:-/:blush:

• ... pls wait till that addons are supported.

No problem. Are there plans to include the drivers in future releases of LibreELEC?

As I said, the stick already seems usable with the RPi3 and the current LE 8.2.1 (would have to try and watch a football match in its entirety or some movie to get a better feel for that), so that is good enough for the moment (and definitely more than I expected ...). Thanks for looking into this.

• So, with the latest build by adamg (version 1.1.1) the drivers you have been talking about, CvH , are included. I tested both the Hauppauge and CrazyCat drivers, but the stick did not produce video with either of them - a shame. So, the only combination it was any use in, was with the Rpi3 and LE 8.2.1. But even that is more than I had anticipated, so all is well I would say.

• Hi crazycat ,

thanks for tuning in ... Anyway, fisrt of all, here is a dmesg | paste with your addon active. Secondly, as before, the firmware (dvb-demod-drxk-pctv.fw) I linked to in my first post is available in /etc/firmware (really /usr/lib/kernel-overlays/base/lib/firmware). The stick is recognized by TvHeadend.

LiveTV also tries to get a signal, i.e., it does not complain that anything is missing, but just cannot with the AML S905X-boxes. It is ok, as I said, with the Rpi3 (and the standard LE dvb drivers).

Is that what you needed to know or where would find demod? find -path demod started from the root directory did not turn up anything.