Remote acting weird

• I loaded Libreelec onto a S805 MXQ box, I've done it a few times now. I have some spare remotes and junk here and the one I usually use doing this worked fine. When I brought it back to the persons house, their remote wont work right with the box. It looks nearly identical to the one I use at home, its the black rectangle with the multicolored buttons at the top, the only difference is mine has the colored buttons below the TV control buttons at the top, theirs has the colored buttons directly below the main power buttons. The 4 buttons around the main navigation are also rearranged and theirs has the alphabet above the buttons instead of printed directly on them.

For example, pressing left on theirs makes it go back. Down and power are about the only things that work right. Backspace is left, the number 0 is enter. I've been reading about remote.conf but I cant find it, I dont see the storage folder when I bring up the box in explorer, and trying to access it via SSH says access denied even though I'm logged in with root/libreelec. What next?