Posts by Pokey

Operating system: LibreELEC (official): 8.2.5 (kernel: Linux 4.11.12)

GPU: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAPE VERDE (DRM 2.49.0 / 4.11.12, LLVM 3.9.0)

Screen resolution: [email protected] - Full screen

Screen resolution: 3840x2160@30Hz - Full screen

OpenGL vendor: X.Org

OpenGL version: 3.0 Mesa 17.1.3

GPU temperature: 40°C

LibreELEC on the 4K TV was slow to load up on boot & also slow to shut down

One & only oddity was when using the remote control the gui swish sound would echo if pressed in quick succession

harrym

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/unified_video_decoder/ your link did not work

this one does https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/unified_video_decoder

Used 3 video samples 1x4K H265 & 2x1080p H265 tested each one for 15 minutes

all played okay, the 4K H265 @30Hz had a barely detectable slight judder on some fast moving scenes, and audio was also lower ..

.. when set via LE to 1080p it played A/R perfectly as did the others

libreELEC's information on all 3 samples was H265

NAS used does not do any video transcoding

4K TV showed 3840x2160@30Hz & 1920x1080@60Hz respectively

Installed LibreELEC 8.2.5 on the Q8400 cpu with the HD7770 video card connected via HDMI to 4K TV

both ran at 40-44°C with cpu at 40-60% load

VDPAU was shown as preferred, I changed it to VAAPI .. but didn't detect any difference

the 4K H265 video I tested could only play 4K at 3840x2160@30Hz

changed resolution to Full HD 1920x1080@60Hz

audio thru HDMI was lower with the 3840x2160@30Hz resolution

but GTX1050 is nVidia so it will not be supported in LE10

That's why I was going to use the GTX 1050 in a new (non-HTPC) desktop PC

but I just don't know whether I need a low, mid or high falluting AMD card for LE10.

The lower end NVIDIA, the GTX 1050, handles all my current needs (4K, upscale, x265 hevc, etc)

so will it's equal from AMD, the RX 560, have the same capabilities but with also the support for LE10?

I just don't know much about AMD cards.

The old HD 7770 handles x265 hevc on a 1440x900p monitor(DVI), but I've heard that it needs a DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter to play 4K, and I don't think it will upscale or handle a large 4K OLED screen.

What would be the ideal graphics card for LibreELEC 10.0?

I'm building a new desktop PC and was thinking of using the GTX 1050 that's presently in my LibreELEC HTPC (x86_64)

This way I could buy a Radeon graphics card for my HTPC and be ready when LibreELEC 10.0 arrives

I'm pretty sure that the sound & picture quality went off a bit after a few visitors stayed over a few months back, I think the monitor refresh rate & alsa audio device on boot went crackers about then too

So it must have been something out of whack - that the "Hard Reset" sorted out

those aktimate mini's fed by the stx essence should sound that good

The NAS was streaming to the HTPC via ethernet cable: NAS↭switch↭access point↭router↭HTPC

I know output should be identical with either a LAN connection, an internal HDD or a external HDD

But the picture & especially the sound quality difference has been confirmed by 2 other people

The reason all this happened is because I'm going away for a while, new hardware in my knees, and I definitely don't want others mucking around with my network servers, so the servers will be shutdown and all popular media in the household will be on the HTPC's internal HDD

I hard reset LibreELEC

Then before putting the HDD inside my HTPC, I formatted it to Ext 4 & loaded the media, all this was done with a QNAP server

Previously, when booting up the HTPC:

Settings / System / Display / Refresh Rate would often need attention as it would revert 30.00 instead of 59.94

And Audio / Audio output device would revert to ALSA: HDA NVidia, HDMI #

I always checked & corrected these on boot up

It's now consistantly booting to 60.00 reflesh rate& ALSA: Xonar STX Multichannel

Also indexing media went smoother & fanart, posters etc are different, but the main standout is the punch in the bass