Posts by Klojum

but the vibrating drive must have had its day by now ?

Technically perhap, yes. But the price per Gigabyte for a traditional HD drive is still much better than for a SSD device. Prices of SSDs are dropping quicker, but I can't see any reasonable customer prices for 2-4 TB SSDs yet.

A Crucial MX300 2 TB drive now costs € 370,-
    A Samsung EVO 860 4TB drive costs € 900,-

There are more ways to Rome than one... ;)

I myself prefer a total quiet an fanless setup next to my TV. My media is on a PC machine which is in another room but of course connected to the network.

A quiet PC with USB attached drives is another solution. A proper NAS always has its drives internally connected for the best performances and best cooling.

It's just comes down to what your best use-case is, and "how much do you want to spend" on a NAS(-like) solution.

Upto 120 MB/s is nice, but only handy for handling large files (copying, moving, etc). Normal video play only requires a fraction of that network speed.

A NAS is designed for disk server usage and low power consumption as it doesn't have something like a full-blown video card, whereas a PC usually uses up much more electricity.

I used to have a Synology 2-disk NAS. Worked great, but it got a bit loud after a couple of years (an odd 70mm fan), and in the end I preferred more disks which was easier (and cheaper) via a PC. Synology has an excellent 5-year support cycle for its NAS devices, and sometimes beyond that in case of severe security issues.

What is the extra feature that a NAS should have for you, compared to the PC?

It's only purely for the file serving, I would say keep the PC.

Every today's NAS should be able to serve upto 50 Mb/s (=6.25 MB/s), a properly fitted 100Mb/s cable should enough already.

I moved your post into a new thread, posting in an outdated thread is not always handy.

If you have disk space problems, open a SSH connection, mount to your network location if necessary, and use a direct tar command to restore a backup file:

tar -xvf /path/to/your/backupfile.tar.gz -C /storage

Not sure if you need the -C option, as you would be already in the /storage partition by default entering a SSH session.

In short:

1) I take it you will need some type of IR receiver for your Logitech Harmony Touch remote first. If the remote can emulate the MCE remote, that would help a lot.

2) We're not in the habit of helping people watch TV illegaly, but the word 'vpn' comes to mind.

3) There are more repos than the ones in Kodi, but you will get no support at all on those on this forum.

4) You don't. As far as I know, there is no Skype support in Kodi/LE whatsoever.

5) Netflix is still a work-in-progress, but you can test things using the Milhouse builds.

OpenELEC 17.3 is already 1.5 years old and no longer a viable option for today as it lacks specific system updates which prevents it from properly scraping videos. It is simply no longer being developed as far as we know.

The installation procedure is not buggy as hell. Kodi is running on millions of devices, if it was that 'buggy as hell', there would be a huge problem.

IMO, the whole SMB situation is a big f*cking mess thanks to Microsoft, and them using different/changing standards without proper user guidance. SMBv2+ now requires a Windows account WITH a password, which doesn't have to be a problem if you use Kodi's "Add a network location..." option and enter full credentials for a SMB connection.

I know we tested an add-on version of Mini-DLNA on a Generic (not RPi) LibreELEC 8.90-something build some 6 months ago or so, and that seemed to work okay for video, music and pictures. I don't know what its current status is.

Otherwise, you could install Raspbian onto your RPi3B+ and install Mini-DLNA. That won't require you to 'scrape' anything, it would just serve the media files 'as-is'. It won't keep any statistics or settings like watched status or resume points.

1) Streaming from a RPi3B+ ... Its ethernet port may be advertised as a gigabit port but AFAIK it is connected internally via US, and maxes out at 300Mb/s. The HDD is connected to a USB 2.0 port, that usually only goes upto 40MB/s (but it's a low-powered RPi, so I doubt you will get those speeds). So reading 40MB/s *could* turn serving into 20MB/s max for the RPi device. What sort/size of media files are you streaming?

2) Not-scraping certain shows is a separate problem altogether.

3) Streaming from a TV, I don't have too much confidence there. TVs usually only have a 100Mb/s port and crappy outdated hardware at best. The same goes for router SMB servers.

4) VLC may be posing as a comparison, it is basically making you compare apples and oranges.

I'm not quite sure on the whole use case here.

You want to set up the RPi3B+ as a stand alone server, or not? Does it also have to run Kodi? If so, attached to which device?

Which protocol is required for file serving: UPnP, SMB or both?

Which device(s) will be used as a video client: the TV directly via UPnP or does the TV has its own Kodi device attached (FireTV) ?