Posts by kubrickdave

I have since then checked it and I can say the it does passthrough HDR10 metadata except for the MaxCLL and MaxFALL values.

... which are the only ones that really matter (the mastering display primaries seem to be set to the standard P3 values throughout). But that's probably not a huge issue, since this problem affects many playback devices and some TVs even ignore the metadata completely.

I also witnessed the following issues, are these known?
    - Skipping back (chapters) causes the video to freeze (1080p23.98 H.264 BD remux).
    - Colorbanding in HDR testvideo -> no proper 10 Bit output anymore?

Those are also Krypton only issues.

10 bit output never worked on Krypton.
    I also sometimes get frozen video, but only after excessive skipping (like 5-10 chapters in rapid succession). Using the seek bar seems to work better.

Hi guys,

Anyone seeing low ram usage running this build off a sd card?

I have this build running of an sd card on my amlogic S905X box which has 2gb of ram, but i never see the RAM usage exceeding 600mb. and it is a little slow at time / laggy.

does anyone know if flashing to NAND will improve the speed or ram usage?

sorry if this has already been asked but i couldn't find an answer in this thread

Flashing to NAND will definitely improve UI fluidity. I recommend it wholeheartedly. If you want to retain the possibility of switching back to Android, don't forget to back up your partitions. Don't worry about RAM usage. LibreELEC is a minimal base system for Kodi. Low memory requirements are to be expected and a huge positive compared to Android.

Now, prior to reflashing android using the toothpick method, I've tried by clearing the data, cache etc, from recovery, same outcome. I think the bootloader was reinitialized as well, because I needed the toothpick again to boot LE from the sdcard. As far as I'm concerned the box has a probable hardware failure on the EDID stage. What I'm not sure is if flashing with toothpick and sdcard leaves some partitions untouched, which might be corrupted and the cause of the box's behaviour. That's why I wondered if flashing using a PC is better, and can fully restore the unit.

These are all the partitions on my box (Beelink MiniMX III S905X):

"rsv", "crypt", "misc" and "instaboot" are empty. "cache" and "recovery" are only used by android. "boot", "system" and "data" are overwritten on reflash. "env" holds the bootloader variables. "bootloader" and "logo" are self-explanatory. "tee" is mostly empty except for the string lost+found, so is not the culprit. "reserved" contains a lot of ASCII strings referencing kernel terminology and some binary data, but the name suggests that this partition is not essential.

You could try using the Amlogic USB burning tool to completely reinitialize the NAND, but you would need the proper image for this. You could also ask someone with the same box (I have S905X version) to send you a dd dump of the bootloader partition, if you're feeling adventurous. The MAC address is stored as a bootenv variable, so I believe the bootloader partition does not contain unique information, but I'm not completely sure.

Now I've seen other people saying about heat issues and it's true that with the latest builds my box from hardly hitting 43C has reached 49C just after playing around with the settings lately. Another point that might have stressed components to failure... :dodgy:

These temps are completely normal and should be no problem at all.

Have you tried the "toothpick method"? I don't know exactly what it does, but it should, to some extent, reinitialize the bootloader.

I think kubrickdave is on something here. You have to at least try to set the Kodi UI at 24hz to see if you can sync on that refresh rate. I get the feeling that you suffer from the same thing that happened to me on my MiniMXIII (S905) a couple of days ago, where the only resolutions available are 1080p60hz and 720p60hz. It was working fine in the past but since 8.0.1e update I lost syncing at 50hz and 24hz on my tv. My display also developed a strange flickering even on the UI (Confluence). I even downgraded down to LE 7.0.3.12j and the only thing fixed was the flickering. The strange thing is that booting to Android from nand, I get the same behaviour just two resolutions at 60hz available. I haven't used android for some months now, but I remember I had more resolutions available.

Tried everything, different cables, TVs, erase data on android, still the same. So something fishy happened on my box on one of the 8.0.1 updates, might even be a hardware failure with my HDMI port that messes the EDID info. Tomorrow I will reflash android and see if anything changes.

PS: I use the disp_cap for the time being to get the missing resolutions, but ultimately would like to know what went wrong...

This really sounds like a hardware defect, especially since you tried all of the above. You could try looking into u-boot variables with "fw_printenv" to see if there's something sketchy.

Also try grepping the kernel log for edid related errors.

Well, the TV I'm using to set up the Beelink (a secondary 24" 1080p Samsung) is just using just a straight HDMI cable, no receiver or pass through boxes. This is also the same TV and HDMI cable I setup and tested several Beelink MINI MXIII's (S905) with Libreelec 7 and everything worked fine.

I'm also at a loss because it seems I've done everything correctly. I'll hook the Beelink up to my main Samsung TV tonight prior to trying anything else. My main setup is a Nvidia Shield TV with Kodi, and refresh switching works fine with that and my main TV. If refresh rate changing doesn't work with the Beelink and my main TV, i'll know it's in the box, since the chain works correctly now with the Shield TV.

Could you please post the output of these commands (use pastebin or similar):

Code
    cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/disp_cap
    cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/edid

Pretty sure this is what I am experiencing too! Thought it was random but every 30 minutes sounds about right actually!

It's not always exactly 30 minutes. It ranges from 20 to 40 in my experience. Also sometimes it happens right away after starting playback or skipping around. Are there parameters to control HW decoder buffer size or fill rate?
    [hr]

/sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/frac_rate_policy is a switch in Nougat kernel to enable/disable fractional frame rates. It is no longer chosen automatically. I am working on a workaround for this.

Sorry! I proposed enabling this globally. :(
    Most of my testing was done at 23.976hz.

Thank you for your input!
    Would you mind redoing the integer frame rates after running this?

Code
    echo 0 > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/frac_rate_policy

I experience frame drops about 30 minutes into seemingly every H264 file I play. I then skip back 10 seconds and the passage plays flawlessly. If I pause playback at anytime that 30 minute "timer" gets reset. Meanwhile the Kodi log shows this:

Code
    WARNING: CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer

So there's some kind of buffer underrun it seems. This is playback over NFS with dec_control set to 4.
    During the runtime of this particular file (full-length movie), I also got this (log time stamp does not correlate with stutter, appears later):

Code
    NOTICE: CActiveAEStream::AddData - messy timestamps, increasing interval for measuring average error to 6000 ms

I'll try to get a full debug log later.

Can someone point me in the direction of backing up my box so I can install LIB directly on it and recover if needed. Lots of different guides online but all seem to point to phones with a recovery available online but my box doesnt have one online I need to get it from the box itself.

You can boot from SD/USB and just make a dd image of the boot, system, data and dtb partitions. The install script touches only those (save for some u-boot variables) and you should be able to restore your box to the exact same state as before the backup.

On my TV, I'm able to force colorspace and can't tell a difference between them (so I don't believe it's doing a colorspace conversion). I'm working on a fix for the 4:4:4 issue now as a starting place.

You're right. There is no visual difference, when manually forcing the color space. It's just a flag in the HDMI metadata.

kszaq:
    Did you try setting frac_rate_policy like I posted before. It fixes fractional frame rates.
    [hr]

Is wetek core the only LE supported device that does real 4k output currently?

Edit: from looking at 0003-aml-Add-support-for-4k-resolutions.patch and platform_init

Possibly. S905/S905X framebuffer is limited to 1080p for now due to low performance. This doesn't matter for video playback though.