Posts by deusxm

Ok, so this is a new one for me.

Tried doing a fresh install of 8.2.5 on my NUC using a bootable USB stick - so far, so normal.

Installation to my HDD hangs for ages on 28% (writing file system) and eventually completes. However, when trying to boot, I'm told that no bootable device is found. I checked the install logs and it mentions 'trouble writing out superblocks'. I'm not an expert but I'm guessing this means that something's happening in the installation process which is effectively causing it to fail and the HDD isn't been marked as a bootable drive.

Anyone know what my options are please? I've tried using different USB sticks for installation. I don't need to save any data on the drive so is there a way of repairing?

Ah, I don't mean being able to directly control the PC from Kodi - what I mean is to simply display what's on the desktop.

What I'm trying to do is use my laptop for gaming but effectively connect to a TV wirelessly - ie. sit with the laptop on my lap on my sofa, but have the display on my TV, without the need for an HDMI cable trailing across the room. Like a Chromecast/Miracast, but without the extra hardware.

Random question - is there any way of mirroring a desktop from one PC to LibreELEC?

To clarify:

I have 2 devices - one Windows 10 laptop, and an Intel NUC running LibreELEC, which is connected to a TV

What I would like to do is mirror what's on my Windows 10 desktop onto LibreELEC - basically get what's on the screen on my laptop onto my TV via LibreELEC.

Any ideas please?

You could boot "live" with Ubuntu to copy your LibreELEC backup file to an external media(USB stick).
    From there you can reinstall LibreELEC and finally restore with your backup file.

Actually I managed to find another way, but that's a very good tip and probably a neater solution than the one I came up with.

I made a bootstick with 7.0.3, which still has the repair option and used that. It claimed to overwrite the System portion but once it booted up again I found that all my settings were still in place (although obviously a lot of stuff wasn't working properly because I had previously been on 7.95).

I then Samba'd in to copy my backup file, and then copied across the update file, rebooted, waited for the update and hey presto, on 8.0 with all settings etc. in place and working. Had to Samba in the update file as the LibreELEC configuration manager appeared to have a corrupted display with no selectable options (although that may be because I was using Arctic Zephyr as a skin).

So in short:

You can functionally repair a corrupted 8.0 installation with a 7.0.3 bootstick and retain your settings.

As a suggestion, if it's possible to create an 8.0 boot image with a repair option, this would then alleviate the need to manually update.

I tried upgrading via the menu option in 7.95, but on reboot, I get the splash screen then an alarming message about a kernel panic and the system just stops.

I can boot from a USB stick but it only gives me the option of a clean install - previously, there used to be a repair option with 7.0 that rebuilt the kernel but left the storage partition alone. Is this still possible? There is a backup but as this is an SSD inside a PC I don't have a way of accessing it and copying it at present.

I'm having a bit of trouble with the 7.95 beta.

It works fine, but then after a couple of days or so, I get the following boot error:

*** Error in mount_storage: mount_common: could not mount /dev/sda ***
    ### starting debugging shell... type exit to quit ###
    sh: can't access tty. job control turned off.
    #

Obviously because the system isn't booting, I'm not able to SSH in to have a look at what's going on.

I've tried doing a clean reinstall, which does then fix the error (but obviously then wipes all my userdata so I have to set up everything again), but then the problem rears its head again a couple of days later.

The other option which works is booting from a 7.03 boot stick, 'repairing' the installation and then doing a manual upgrade to 7.95, which at least saves all my settings....but again, a few days later, I get the boot error.

I'm running this on an Intel NUC 2820 with LibreELEC installed to an SSD, using the generic image.

I'm going to straight up admit that when it comes to bootmodes, I am an utter noob so I am going to sound pretty stupid on all this. What is driving me mental is how it's an intermittent fault - I'd have though if it was a boot issue, you'd get this on first boot or every time you reboot. Instead, it's fine, I can boot from cold, reboot etc. and then ping, one day the cold boot fails. I do not have this issue with 7.03.

I'm wondering though whether there is an issue with the NUC's boot mode settings in the bios related to UEFI booting etc? I think I've got legacy and UEFI boot enabled, don't know if I need to change this or even if I need to change something and then reinstall under the new boot settings? And yes, I have removed all USB sticks etc. so it is booting from the right drive.

As I said, I literally don't know what I'm doing at this stage so anyone who might be using a NUC or has encountered the same problem, please help and please do treat me like an idiot on this!