Posts by zomboided

Connect to the vpn, do a ps -ef and check to see that openvpn is running and then ping something you know is working.

If it doesn’t work then my money is on dns not working...you could try pinging an IP address directly if this is the case to check that it has connectivity.

If outbound traffic is fine and it’s just inbound traffic then it depends on how your network and devices are set up. I can ssh into my home network and forward to a box that’s externally connected to a VPN, no problems. Can’t help here.

Complain to Cyberghost, they’ve been submitting fixes for their service recently, so you should at least check you’re using the latest files.

To me this looks like it’s connecting but taking too long to become active/resolve the DNS. They can determine why this is and what to do about it. Other providers don’t have this issue.

when I start EmulationStation OpenVPN stops.

I have Transmission installed as well and it keeps running even after starting ES.

Any idea how to persist OpenVPN after running ES?

The addon manages VPN connections from within Kodi. When you quit you’re not in Kodi any more and the connection goes away (by design). Outside of Kodi you can manage VPN connections however you would for your base operating system anyway

Your log shows this :

2020-05-10 17:46:37.561 T:140163766281984 NOTICE: VPN Mgr : (common.py) Received connection info from ipinfo.io, IP 104.194.220.52 location New York, US, ISP AS35913 DediPath

2020-05-10 17:46:38.070 T:140163766281984 NOTICE: VPN Mgr : (common.py) Connected to a VPN

Profile is USA - New York (UDP)

Server is usa-newyork-ca-version-2.expressnetw.com

Using 104.194.220.52, located in New York, US

Service Provider is AS35913 DediPath

which means you've connected absolutely fine and it's been able to use an external site to check that it's working. If you can't connect to something after you see this, then it's not the VPN connection that's the issue (unless the target is blocking it - which is neither my problem or your VPN provider)

CyberGhost are fixing this, I've just approved another one of their commits. This is good because it means I don't have to bother with it.

Mistico most providers are parsed but not all providers share their ovpn files. And honestly, I'm not good at keeping all ~40 up to date because life is too short (especially when it comes to writing software for free that enables someone else to sell VPN services)

From your screen shot, they've added support for openvpn 2.3 - when LE is on 2.4 and there's probably an even later version. VPN Mgr will call whatever version of openvpn is installed, but as the openvpn team add more parameters (and take stuff away) some ovpn files will stop working.

Surely if you move your devices away from something that appears to be for legacy support and back to the "OpenVPN Europe" servers using their website, it should all work again?

I've DEFINITELY no interest in supporting 2.3 opvn files (if that's indeed what this means) when the world (including LE) is not going that way.

If for some reason you want to go backwards, or use the other servers mentioned, then just use User Defined. I'm really not sure why you'd want to do this though - it's really not clear to me from their website why they have all of these different servers.

Did I mention I hate the way Cyberghost complicate things....

Thanks for trying to help. Here are the issues:

If i change to what you suggest, then it'll break for everyone else using the regular servers. I've been down that path, I'm not going to do that again.

I could get a list of all the servers, but there are too many and it'll take too long.

Cyberghost are using different servers for different accounts (I'm guessing), and expecting the user to define which device uses which set of servers. This is additional complexity that just has people telling me that connections don't work.

I'm really not motivated to support Cyberghost whilst they're offering such a complex service. There's no right answer other than expecting their users to jump through the hoops they've put in place and use User Defined. So for now, the support is what it is, but I'm honestly close to pulling support entirely.

Arduino is a lower level FPGA you need to program with a "direct" interface to the hardware, minimal memory/limited CPU and no real OS to speak of.

RPi is a really cheap PC you can run Linux on which also has a good interface to the hardware if you need it.

I use both - the Arduino for projects where I don't need an OS (sensors, clocks, LED drivers, servo drivers), and RPi where I need all of the complexities offered by the OS. I've also used them together before...

Really if you're asking what the difference is, you should go google "Arduino projects" and see what people are using them for.

This is now fixed. Pick up the latest update when you see it.

Even if you do clean up your build and find the problem still exists and isn't due to dodgy add-ons, HideMyAss support looks consistent with what they currently provide. Your next step is to read the debug guide to understand how to run the VPN from the command line and go and get support from a combination of your ISP and your VPN provider.

Thanks for a prompt response.

My account is active on other devices, so no issues there. Can I send you my login for NordVPN to rule out that it's the addon which is failing. I'm quite sure it's the outdated ELEC as well, but NordVPN said they changed nothing on their end, and I didn't do anything to my setup either.

Sure