Posts by zomboided

Try googling your router make and vpn or PIA. There might be some funkiness with some settings, or you might need to use a different port maybe. Or there's some firewall nonsense going on? Put your kodi box in a dmz to test this.

VPN Mgr spends ~30 seconds waiting for openvpn regardless of what it's doing before giving up. It'll then try again a bit later up to a dozen times or so with increasing periods of time between the attempts (think it waits a minute then retries and it that fails it doubles the wait time up to an hour before trying again). Doesn't help you tho as it'll just do the same thing on the same connection.

I guess I could look at moving to the next connection on failure, but I'm not sure that'd work with filtering well (unless the user sets it up properly)

If you want to hand craft something with explicit failover behaviour then one of the APIs could be used. I'd go bitch at my VPN provider about fixing their service rather than spend the effort doing this.

I'll look at user configs being wiped out - providing you're putting everything in the userdata directories it should just repopulate? Is it just the user key/cert that were the problem?

There's no failover to different connections within the add-on. You're on the right path using multiple remotes within the ovpn. You'd need to read then openvpn docs to work out what parameters to use...the one thing to bear in mind is that after a period (30 seconds or so) VPN Mgr will get bored waiting for the connection to work and I think will shoot the task.

Really tho, if your provider is so unreliable that you expect server connections to fail that often, get a new provider. I don't think I've had any connectivity issues with mine in over a year.

/usr/sbin/openvpn "/storage/.kodi/addons/service.vpn.manager/PIA/US West (UDP).ovpn" > /run/openvpn.log

This is the command that starts the vpn you can see the location of the ovpn. You can try running it directly on he command line and see what happens. Everything looks normal to me in the log apart from the connection failing. I use PIA and I'm not seeing this issue (on a Pi running LE 7) so it could be platform or LE 8 related I guess but nobody else is reporting it.

For the second attempt without force ping it looks like you're getting a different error that is typically caused by dodgy connectivity (server doesn't respond to TLS handshake). Maybe the lack of ping working too in the previous example also suggests this

Did you click default in the settings? Restart and this should go away.

What platform? Can you go to settings/utilities and delete vpn provider files and try again? Want to see the whole log with debug on (settings/debug) and probably one of the ovpn files that gets generated.

Looks like it's timing out when it should have ping going. Do you have the force ping option (settings/debug I think) set on? Is there anything in your environment that blocks ping? Can you also try with force ping off? (need to delete the vpn provider files again after changing it)

I got a paid subscription.

Dunno then, I've just tried my account and connected to Windscribe just fine.
    [hr]

I have been trying to get this addon to use my Private Internet Access VPN account, but I have not been able to get it to connect, it just keep attempting then timing out. So I got a trail account at AIRVPN and it connects no problem. I can post a Log later this evening, but is there any simple explanation for this? is there known issues with using the PIA VPN?

Check you're using the right ID, which is not your PIA logon user ID and password. It's in the client area on the PIA website somewhere.

Can you set the path so openvpn is found without qualitification and then find the debug option in the settings/debug which will call it that way? I added this for generic Linux installs but it might work here.

I'm also thinking it might have issues running against an older version as I updated the ovpn templates to use newer 2.4.0 parameters that may or may not have been in 2.3.x - maybe there were tho and it was just some deprecated params knocking around I needed to fix.

Hi Zomboided, after running a speedtest on krypton and receiving a result of 7mbps and then logging into chrome OS (have dual boot on chromebox) and running same speedtest and getting result of 61mbps. I paused filtering but for some reason my ip address was still showing the last vpn server I was connected to. And the speedtest was still showing 7mbps. So I uninstalled "VPN Manager" ran the test again on Kodi and got 59mbps. What could be causing this??

Your VPN is causing this. Pausing filtering doesn't disconnect, it stops switching connections. Disconnect to stop using a VPN. You'll see the speed go back up. If you can demonstate that the performance is fine when you use the command line then get a debug log.

Hi Zomboided. Reading more on the Plex forums it sounds like I need to get my computer to allow the Plex IP address to bypass the VPN which I think is what you're suggesting. It a bit beyond my capabilities at the moment as the walkthroughs are for windows and I'm trying to set it up on a RaspberryPi running Linux and still learning basic commands. I might just use another old computer to run my plex server. Thanks for making the add-on so I can get the Pi to connect to the VPN simply!

Andy

If you do work this out you can probably make the adjustments to the routing table using the up and down scripts that are documented on the wiki.
    [hr]

Not sure if there is anything in the new release to explain it, but I've been seeing about a 25% increase in speed. From about 22-24 Mbit to 31-33 now. Fantastic.

Nothing intentional...good news for you tho!

It doesn't filter based on incoming connection which is what I think you're asking?
    Can't you do some kinda port forwarding over SSH through your router/firewall? This is the approach I've taken in the past for non-Kodi reasons. I don't know anything about Plex to know if this would work.

I would think the switching of locations would look like additional connections and be rejected (I've seen this with other free providers). I guess you can try and get it working by using the user defined import wizard and see if I'm right

Hey zomboided,

last few month i used successfully torguard with your vpn manager.
    Now i am use free provider windscribe and i wont work...
    Dont know why, user and pass are right but dont connect.

Here the vpn log:

Windscribe free doesn't work, it only allows you to have one device which means no switching. If you want to use windscribe get a paid account