Posts by bite_your_idols

News about IARL addon installation!

You can replace the file "/storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/install_iarl.sh" with this updated one:
    install_iarl.sh
    it will install the latest addon version with correct folder name.

Also, zachmorris, addon creator, told me he updated paths for Gamestarter installation, but I couldn't try it yet. After run wizard and select external launcher, all emulators should work.

Tut for compiling retroarch: Raspberry Pi • View topic - RetroArch on Raspbian: the tutorial --might have to do it first on a raspian image then copy it over to lbreelec/openelec...I don't know if and doubt if they have the libraries to compile it.

I compiled it following the tut but it didn't work...

I seem to have gotten it working...it seems like on default, IARL was pointing either to cores that weren't downloaded or don't exist on retroarch. I downloaded and point IARL to the right core by right clicking / pressing 'c' on the platfrom in the IARL listing.

maybe it is a problem related with the addon folder name or with the path to script... But, with context menu editing, you can make it works... I am trying to fix that method

hi bite_your_idols,
    do uae4arm support joypads (xbox360 wireless controller)? how to setup it in gamestarter.uae? thx

UAE4ARM does support joypads, but maybe you need some keypress or mouse button press in order to enter game, skip crackintro screens or whatelse... I tested libretro core port of this emulator and joypads work flawlessly, also for enter games, I used my dualshock and there was no need for any key or mouse press... on the other hand the sound is a bit chunky because it is an alpha beta of the core... I am thinking about including the optional feature for next Gamestarter verision to be toggled from addon settings...

I didn't run the wizard...it doesn't seem to start...i can sort of highlight it...but it doesn't seem to execute..the ok button works up in the box though..but that doesn't seem to trigger it ..? As far as the IARL addon is concered, it seems like it points only to a folder where retroarch is located. not a specific file in the addon settings. One other question..is it possible to upgrade retroarch binary to 1.3.4?
    tia.

I am in touch with IARL creator trying to fix this issue, I don't know if it is related with the path or with the folder name that don't let the wizard start...
    When I have some news I will post over here... Meanwhile, If you, or anyone else, make it work, please let me know.

About retroarch 1.3.4, it is included in my package, you just have to browse to /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin and rename "retroarch" to "retroarch_1.3.2", then "retroarch_1.3.4" to "retroarch" and give it execution permissions. I don't set it by default because it is taken from lakka distro, so if you update lakka from settings menu, you will lost LibreELEC, so be carefull..

I don't know how to compile retroarch for Pi, if anyone gives me some tutorial I will take a look, or if someone knows how to compile and want to do it for gamestarter I will apreciate that ;)

I'm trying to use Internet archiver...It downloads the zip ok, but it doesn't launch. I pointed it to the retorach bin location in /kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin. Am I missing something?

I also had to make a symbolic link from /.kodi to /kodi since the openelec menus won't let me select hidden folders.

Thanks.
    Z

(Using Libreelec RPi2)

You have to enable hidden folders and files in kodi settings. IALR addon must point to gamestarter.sh script, not retroarch binary. Did you run IARL settings wizard?

Hi all,

I'm using Libreelec 7.0.1. Audio is played on a bluetooth audio speaker, which is paired to Libreelec. That works fine.

If I start an emulator, sound does not work. Is this due to the missing support for bluetooth speakers in retroarch/etc or am I just too stupid to set it up?

Can you try using HDMI audio output? I don't know how works bluetooth audio output in libreelec and if it can make some issue with alsa audio... only thing I can tell you is: google... sorry...

Hi bite_your_idols,

I'm planning for a fresh re-install of LE 8 testbuild including Gamestarter on my Pi3. Would you be able and issue a version 2.0.3 of Gamestarter with the fixes included since 2.0.2 version? I'd be happy to report on any findings during the re-install...

The truth is that I have no update plan in mind, there are a few upgrades since current versionand I am waiting for any big feature or improve... but If I have some free time next week I can make a new release ;) (This week I am full of work...)

By the way, thanks to everyone for the support here and on kodi forums ;)

that worked but when i went to install the internet archive launcher it said it inastalled it (from zip after settings) but i cant find the program to run it and im using a bluetooth controler i set it up in libreelec and it works in emulatationstation in the control setup but not in the games only a few buttons do the d-pad and start and i get the controler to do anything in retropi

By default IARL addon is located in Video Addons, you can change that in addon settings.

About your bluetooth controller, can you connect it using usb to try if it works? what brand and model is it? are you saying if you install retropie in your SD the controller works both in emulationstation and retroarch, but with Gamestarter it only works in emulationstation? that is a very weird issue because rertoarch joystick configs are the same in both systems...

i cant get this to work i copied the git onto the pi did install from zip shows gamestarter 2.0.2 in my addons and it did its first run setup but after that it it asks to go into retropi but never siwitches and in the setttngs i tried to get it to install internet archive rom launcher but it did nothing when selected

i am on a rpi 3 running LibreELEC (official) Version: 7.0.1

You have to download the zip from releases page not from the main page, that could be the problem...
    From settings you can download Internet Archive ROM Launcher addon zip, it will be located in /storage. After downloading you must go to kodi settings, select install from zip and select the zip file.

Great! Thank you very much for this nice piece of work!

Next to my love of MSX games I'm also keen of NDS and Nintendo Game & Watch games. I found the first to be supported by desmume and the second one by gw-libretro emulators. Unfortunately I could not find builds though on http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/linux/armhf/latest/, yet Retropie supports them if I understand correctly. So I guess the Pi would be potent enough to run these kind of games? Any chance you could add these emulators to Gamestarter too?

Game & Watch core is already in Gamestarter ;) you can download games from here: gw

About NintendoDS, it is an expeirmental core and is not functional yet, you can see it here: Nintendo DS · RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup Wiki · GitHub

When i launch "Gamestarter" from my Program Addons shortcut

Is there a way to bypass / disable the ... " Exit Kodi and run EmulationStation? " confirmation ?

and just have it launch without asking ?

It will be included in next release, it can be toggled from addon settings. If you want to try it now you can download and overwrite these two files from github master:
    default.py
    settings.xml

Also I found atari800 libretro core, I included in this package for the next releae:
    libretro-part1.tar.gz

If anyone wants to test it, just download and unzip, copy atari800_libretro.so file and paste it in /storage/.config/retroarch/cores then it can be launched from retroarch. Some bios are needed.

Thx. Really appreciate it.
    I just saw that RetroPie uses the Amiga800 Emulator and i thought it would work the same as the Amiga one ^^.

For amiga emulator we are using a binary compiled for openelec by an user, and also I needed to get some required libraries... I made the effort because it is a system I used when I was a child, but now I am using libretro-uae4arm in my installation, because I don't like to use keyboards and complex configs, that's another reason why I choose retroarch.

I'd like to play MSX games with a keyboard. I prefer fMSX core over blueMSX because the first supports save states. Yet the keymapping in fMSX is not passed though from RetroArch, so I cannot play games ?. In Lakka this does work perfectly, so I guess it should be possible with a small config change. Btw for blueMSX it is working. Any pointers how to make this work using fMSX core too?

It is strange that fmsx doesn't work with keyboard... I preffer bluemsx because it remaps basic keys to gamepad, but when I tried fmsx with a keyboard I remember it worked... also, if it works in lakka it must work here, as you say, maybe is something related with input or core configs inside retroach, you can take a look...

Would you add the Atari800 Emulator to the next Update ?
    Or would you give me a hint where to put it ?
    I would like to "try" the Atari5200 Emulation. ( even though i read its a pain to set up )

Basically in Gamestarter we only use retroarch for emulating, this is because both libreELEC and OpenELEC are such closed systems and it is difficult to make wokr other emulators without compiling a custom build.
    I found Recalbox includes an atari800 libretro core, I will take a look...
    About atari5200 I can read on the internet that it can be emualted using newest mess core but it is something I can't understand...

Can someone tell me where the Emulation Station Theme/Graphics are located ?

I would like to change the background color ... as it causes my Plasma TV to "buzz" a lot

Also, where are the scraped "Game Covers" stored ?

I would like to change a few of them

Thanks

/storage/.config/emulationstation/themes/

Finally I made core updater work... there were 2 lines in retroarch.cfg wrong:

Code
    core_updater_buildbot_url = "http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/linux/armhf/latest/"
    core_updater_buildbot_assets_url = "http://buildbot.libretro.com/assets/"

With this 2 lines like above and retroarch 1.3.4 it works...

Also I checked latest lakka nightly core versions and they are the same we are using in gamestarter, so we are up to date, but we have more of them

Sevren68, if N64 run better in retropie can be related with overclock parameters or maybe it is because in retropie you can also use non-libretro mupens64plus emulator... About PSP, it is in experimental stage in raspberry... I saw a couple of videos running decently but with a very high overclock value and with standalone ppsspp emulator, not retroarch version...

I have just tried it in my NUC with LE7, is it supposed to work anyway?

It crashes Kodi after i try to run it, Kodi restarts and nothing Fürther happens.

Is it my fault?

It is supposed to work only in Pi's arm, sorry.

I also can not get the "Online Updater" in retroarch to work .... when i click "ok" nothing happens except on screen text "glitches" and nothing happens. I'm running Gamestarter Version 2.0.2 on Kodi Jarvis

No problems running SNES games ... all appear in the correct menu

Thanks for all your hard work ! ... loving this addon

Online Updater for cores and retroarch itself is a very experimental feature I guess, some user said it worked in retroarch 1.3.4 but the truth is that I couldn't make it work in any retroarch version I tried...

If there are any known improvements in some of the libretro cores I could try to get them from lakka nightlies and include them into next update, it is only thing I can do...

Installed this latest version and copied all ROM files from a working fMSX installation from a Windows PC to the bios folder and started testing.

Found some issues:
    - EmulationStation won't start
    - From RetroArch:
    - fMSX: Emulator does start, but games run way too fast and keyboard and xbox 360 controller keys are not mapped
    - blueMSX: Emulator does not start

In LE8 latest test build Emulationstation works flawlessly. MSX emulators also work, you need to put your bios in /storage/emulators/bios folder. I guess your issue is related with missing bios for bluemsx emulator that are different from fmsx emulator...

This is from cores github page:

this core requires the two folders named Machines/ and Databases/ from standalone blueMSX copied inside your frontend's system directory. you can get these from the official windows standalone version of bluemsx (http://www.bluemsx.com/) or any other binary package.

I think it is not against any piracy policy if I include them in next releases, I see retropie already does.
    In my opinion bluemsx is better because of its joystick remap for keys.

Thanks. Tried new version of retroarch binary. I does start up now, yet RetroArch fails to do next items:
    - Update any item (GUI starts to act strange when an updater is chosen from menu)
    - Start any MSX games, using either fMSX or blueMSX core
    - SNES games do work (with both pre-installed cores!), yet RetroArch fails to add an SNES console menu item

Any pointers? Or should I wait for LE8 package? I'm quite eager to learn when this version will come available ;)

Hi! I just released new addon version with a package for LE8 alpha. Basically it is the same as you already have but I changed core update urls... I think it is not related with your update issue... but please take a look.
    - about msx, do you have bios files in /storage/emulators/bios folder? MSX has a lot of different bios depending on which version you want to emulate...
    - about SNES list in menu, I can tell you that you need to update games database first, in order to download database file where retroarch fetches with your roms list to create its own menu list. So you need to make some updates before.

Please take a look if paths are correctly set and try to update game database again, this is the basic update needed. If this does not work we will need to find another workaround...