Posts by jd17

@jd17 I will take a look at PQ. Now that fractional frame rates are fixed this would be the next thing to look at. :)

Sounds great, thank you so much! :)

Maybe there even is a way to improve upon the Jarvis performance (all Bicubic/Bilinear and less banding), that would be bliss. :cool:
    [hr]

As far as I followed the development, the kernel is the same for both versions. So presumably, somewhere in the code, the video decoder might be initialized slightly differently.

I would still like to know if this is a S905X-specific issue or if S905 is affected as well....

OP updated with 7.95.beta6 build.

23.976p frame skips seem to be gone.
    I let the video run for about 10 minutes, no skips.
    The same video caused 20+ frame skips within the first few minutes:
    thread-4268.html

Picture quality is still awful. I checked 1080p too now and it definitely looks much worse than in Jarvis.

This time I also had a look at the Spears&Munsil chroma upsampling pattern and the difference between Jarvis and Krypton is very obvious.
    I am not really capable to take a picture of the phenomenon... I tried.

However in Krypton, all the "Low Frequency Zone Plates" look much worse than even Nearest Neighbor, extremely blocky. :exclamation:
    In Jarvis, they look like something between Nearest Neighbor and Bilinear on the upper circles, Bilinear or Bicubic on the lower circles.

Patterns:

Explanations:
    Choosing a Color Space, 2nd Edition | Spears & Munsil

The "High Frequency Diagonal Bursts" are also much worse in Krypton.

Another issue is the fact that when playing back 1080p (and outputting 1080p), the output is 4:4:4, but the chroma upscaling is just simple nearest neighbor, which looks horrible.
    As a workaround I switched to software decoding, which uses ffmpeg to do the chroma scaling.

EDIT: I'm on S905X (Beelink MXIII - II)

Of course!
    I did not even bother to check the chroma upsampling, but this must also be the reason why the upscaling looks so horrible!
    Nearest neighbor upsampling explains perfectly what I see.
    I also thought that 1080p looked worse in Krypton, but I did not bother to look into it much because of the frame skips.

Try Jarvis, none of these issues are there in Kodi 16. :)
    Apart from the 8 Bit vs. 10 Bit of course - but I cannot comment on that since my TV does not tell me the color depth.
    I did not see much color banding in the 10 Bit demo videos I have, but all of them are very high bitrate anyhow, which would of course make up for most of it...

...some of the feedback by S905X users makes me think that this chipset might behave differently when decoding h264/h265 video.

I had that thought too, but I only own the S905X.
    Can anyone comment on that who owns both S905 and S905X?

No matter which settings I choose, I still have the following issues related to video playback on my S905X in Krypton:

- Consistent frame skips in 23.976p content.
    - Very bad quality upscaling of SD and 720p videos.
    - Screen "shakes" with black "flashes" when I skip forward or backward (30s, 10min etc.) in video.

None of this is an issue in Jarvis.

I reported in detail back here:
    thread-2156-post-29829.html#pid29829

Hi kszaq,

just a general interest question:
    Am I right in assuming, that the "premium" S905 devices (like Odroid C2, WeTek Hub, WeTek Play2) currently have the same issues with the video player / hardware decoding in Krypton, as all the others do?
    For instance the frame skips...

If this is a hardware decoder issue, all devices behave equally, right?

24p passthrough has always been out of sync with xbmc/Kodi, not just for amlogic hardware for me. LE defaults to a 175ms delay but not for these builds, I would suggest to include it :).

LibreELEC.tv/advancedsettings.xml at master · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

I am using the advancedsettings for the 175ms delay now, it works flawlessly! Again, thank you so much. :)

I just removed the unnecessary parts from the code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <advancedsettings>
    <showexitbutton>false</showexitbutton>
    <cputempcommand>cputemp</cputempcommand>
    <gputempcommand>gputemp</gputempcommand>
    <video>
    <latency>
    <delay>0</delay>
    <refresh>
    <min>23</min>
    <max>24</max>
    <delay>175</delay>
    </refresh>
    </latency>
    </video>
    <samba>
    <clienttimeout>30</clienttimeout>
    </samba>
    </advancedsettings>

24p passthrough has always been out of sync with xbmc/Kodi, not just for amlogic hardware for me. LE defaults to a 175ms delay but not for these builds, I would suggest to include it :).

LibreELEC.tv/advancedsettings.xml at master · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

Thank you for that piece of information! I did not know that! :)

kszaq:
    Would you be open to implement that in your upcoming builds?
    If the 175ms delay is already implemented in regular LE for 24p, there does not seem to be any harm in it?
    [hr]

It's interesting though. I have around 0.500ms delay with 12h version and only 0.175ms with krypton version with 23/24fps but both with no delay with the rest.
    With 007 as you mentioned everything is ok, and with 009 0.175ms for evereything. So things are definitely changing along the line.
    Btw: is there a way to most perfectly define the a/v delay? Sample videos with different encoding,fps...etc?

I cannot confirm your 500ms for 12h.
    I have exactly 175ms in 7.0.3.012h (fresh install from scratch).

Maybe you changed something else?

Pretty much the same problem here, but with S905 (U1). I did try to modigy advancedsettings for 0.175ms delay for 23-24fps and 0.00 for others, but it doesn't work for all the video.
    I would also like to have this resolved if possible. And I agree it's worst for DD+.

At least I am not alone with this...

For Raspberry Pis, they introduced "PLL adjustment to maintain audio/video sync" in Krypton, since which even every HD audio track is perfectly in sync.
    Maybe this is an option for AMLogic devices too?

Thank you.
    I know that I can adjust a/v-sync in there and even set a standard for all videos.

However I don't really like fighting symptoms instead of root causes...
    If my much much slower RPi2 offers perfect a/v-sync in the same device chain (Kodi box -> Onkyo TX-NR818 (video set to passthrough) -> LG 65B6V) - why not the S905X?
    There must be a reason for this...

I also think that regular DD is less off than the other audio track types, which would make a global offset annoying.

I have tried everything to get video and audio completely in sync, but no setting works.
    No matter if I select HDMI or PCM, passthrough or no passthrough - the audio is always a tiny bit ahead.

Am I missing something?
    Does nobody else have this issue?

I tested DTS, DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, even regular stereo tracks - it's always the same.
    Only DD+ behaves differently, it is out of sync by a lot if passthrough is enabled. Once I disable passthrough, it is only a bit out of sync, like the other audio tracks...

I would appreciate any help. :)
    This is now the only thing keeping me from using the S905X on a regular basis (RPi2 fallback).

(Box is a Mini M8S II 2GB/16GB, Jarvis is still on SD.)