Posts by jd17

...the 1080p30 sample gives flickering boxes and comparable to VLC with deinterlacing forced. The 1080i60 sample shows bad Chroma upsampling again because deinterlacing is active again.
    [...]
    It does look a bit strange that progressive content is processed by default.

That sounds to me like you figured out the root cause. :)

The conclusions I would draw from that:

a) Stop forcing Deinterlace on (all) P content.
    b) Improve Deinterlacing (quality) for I content.
    c) Find reason for VC-1 issues with deactivated Deinterlace.

Did I get this right?

But it doesn't fix 1080p30, deinterlacing is forced on anyway causing flickers and Chroma error is visible.

Maybe I am misreading this, but are you saying that a forced deinterlace is responsible for the bad PQ, if the bypass command is not used?
    Or does this just apply to 1080p30?

But 2160p 4:2:0 gives a slightly smoother color ramp, what to choose...

I find the LG's upscaling from 1080p to 2160p considerably better than the box's...

Could you elaborate on that please? Do I need to make a custom hotkey for that?

Sure...
    The way I do it might be complicated, but I don't know how else to do it since I don't have a keyboard attached/connected to the box.

1. Download the addon "Keymap Editor"
    2. Assign whatever key you like to "CodecInfo" (/Global/Other)
    3. Go to /userdata/keymaps/
    4. Rename "codecinfo" in gen.xml to "PlayerDebug" and save.

ssarava9  jd17: If you can try to mount NFS as I did and report to me your results, it would be interesting to understand what's your max video bitrate that your box can sustain.

I finally tried this and the result is truly remarkable! :)

My box's LAN is apparently not bad -> it runs the Sony Camp smoothly with a regular NFS share.
    However the bird90 video stutters horribly via regular NFS share.

That same bird90 video runs absolutely smooth when played from the mount location! :exclamation:

So I stick with my initial opinion:

You should pitch this to the Kodi devs, wouldn't all platforms benefit from this? :)
    Eventually the devs could change the way we add network sources right now to always be mounted your way.

I did not try the 120mbit video since the LAN is only 100mbit...

But what do you actually mean by bad quality? Do you have a lot of color banding?

It's best to just compare and see for yourself.

Look at the Spears&Munsil pattern, especially the top circles and diagonals.

Then run one of either commands...

echo 1 > /sys/module/di/parameters/bypass_prog
    or
    echo 1 > /sys/module/di/parameters/bypass_all

...and look again.

I see the effect everywhere, but especially in upscaled (SD or 720p) content.

I would like to give it a shot.
    The Spears&Munsil test pattern is in 23.976p.
    I assume a refresh rate switch overwrites those kinds of commands?

e.g.
    echo 2160p50hz420 > /sys/class/display/mode
    echo 2160p50hz422 > /sys/class/display/mode
    echo 1080p50hz444 > /sys/class/display/mode (yCbCr 4:4:4 unsupported at 2160p 50hz)

Can I fix the GUI to 23.976Hz and run the command...

Code
    echo 1080p23.976hz420 > /sys/class/display/mode

Or is the command for this refresh rate different? Maybe 23.98Hz or 23.9Hz...?
    [hr]
    I just disabled refresh rate switching and tested the following:

echo 1080p60hz420 > /sys/class/display/mode (TV does not accept signal)
    echo 1080p60hz422 > /sys/class/display/mode (TV does not accept signal)
    echo 1080p60hz444 > /sys/class/display/mode (standard)

echo 2160p60hz420 > /sys/class/display/mode (standard, looks worse than 1080p, probably due to inferior S905 upscaling)
    echo 2160p60hz422 > /sys/class/display/mode (looks worse than 2160p60hz420, also seems fragile, signal comes on and off)

Conclusion:
    Nothing to gain here. The standard modes are already ideal.

It was my information that 1080p is always output as YCbCr 444 while 2160p is output as YCbCr 420.

I have the box set to 1080p60 (+ refresh rate switching) so the majority of upscaling is done by the TV.

The title and my initial post might be confusing, but we must not mix upscaling of a low resolution to a high resolution and chroma upsampling. Those are very different things.

For me letting the TV do the up sampling looks good for 1080i 25fps content (2160p50hz420). But as always, ***** in = ***** out :)

That rule hardly applies here.
    A reference Blu-ray remux suffers just as much from bad chroma upsampling as a low bitrate encode.

There is nothing the TV can do about it, but I believe you are talking about resolution upscaling again...

I edited title and initial post to avoid confusion.

Is it normal for the S905(X) to do some overscan at the left edge?

I have a Mini M8S II 2GB/16GB (S905X) and in both Jarvis and Krypton I don't see the white line on the left:

NMOUso6.jpg

Raspberry Pi 2 in comparison:

JtXpTrs.jpg

Pattern is part of the AVS HD 709 basic settings:
    AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Can you guys check if you have that overscan too?
    Is this a known thing? Can it be changed? Ideally I would like to have no overscan whatsoever...

I understand.
    With a bit more distance to a maybe smaller TV I can see how the issue might not be very obvious - especially if there is no direct comparison to Jarvis or another device.
    However watching SD or 720p content I can move far away from my 65" and still see the problem.

At my regular 3m distance to the 65", it is unacceptable to me, no matter which resolution.
    But I am patient and Jarvis works perfectly, so I will just do whatever I can to help resolve the issue. :)