Posts by Shoog

When samples are received of the King box (as they will be) then full support will be in CE in a matter of weeks - as it was with the N2. That is where you are spreading more misinformation beyond your knowledge of reality.

No one here has questioned your efforts to further development of the mainline S922 kernel, but simply stop spreading bullshit about a cooling system which performs better than any other of the available boards. Your comments regarding the heatsink are simply laughable.

You only seem interested in spreading misinformation and puffing your own work up.

The only reality that should matter in making a choice of developer board here is that the N2 is ready to run as a stable, reliable, high performance media player straight out of the box.

Shoog

Shoog AFAIK afl1 ported his driver to mainline and balbes150 includes it in his builds. I also prepared packaging for this driver to be included in the future: TEST: add media_tree_aml for out-of-tree DVB drivers · kszaq/LibreELEC.tv@4230427 · GitHub

Good to hear.

I suppose the take home is when using bleeding edge builds, various useful functionalities are the last things to get tidied up and integrated.

Shoog

You again give inaccurate information (you have previously tried to intentionally spread fakes about N2, after that I am skeptical about your information). As far as I know, the representative of Beelinc offered CE sample KING, but CE representatives said they need a lot of samples for all developers. This requirement is very similar to the attempt to put obviously impossible requirement that would then hide behind this, why they were not able to release the CE image for King.

Please refrain from speculating about something you obviously know nothing about. Your conclusion is grossly inaccurate.

As to you comment on the N2 cooling, you can put forward any amount of theories as to why it wont work - but the real world empirical evidence says it does - and this has been demonstrated to you on numerous occasions. If you want to drive it hard as you suggest - turn it over mount a 12V 4inch fan run at 5V (a very simply DIY job) and you will achieve a steady below 50 Cent temps under any load.
    Meanwhile the VIM3 which you are advocating as a better product will sit at over 60 Centigrade in normal use and much higher in active use simply because it has NO COOLING. The VIM3 in stock form is on a fast track to burnup - now that is bad design.

Shoog

If someone knows an answer, they reply. I guess you are referring to DVB-related questions and I'm afraid there are no many people here who can answer them.

If DVB is important and your particular card has a driver developed by afl1 then you have no choice but to use CE. It seems unlikely that his driver, developed for the AMLogic 3.14 kernel, will get ported to mainline any time soon and no one else is actively developing a driver for mainline kernel. The driver itself was offered for someone else to do the necessary porting work - but no one took it up.

Shoog

If you need a ready-to-use device only for the media center - look at Ugoos AM6. Details about all the models you can find on Freacktab, there are a lot of comparisons and discussions. By the way, it is possible that you do not need S922, and it may be enough s905x2. I have samples of N2 and AM6. :)

VIM3 is the most versatile and powerful device with the richest set of functions.

p.s.

Very funny look at some of these arguments. Literally not long ago, these subjects were screaming about the fact that I have no right to even write publicly my findings (by the way, based on precise calculations) about the poor efficiency of the cooling system on N2 (costs do not meet the requirements of the result), referring to the fact that at that time I had no sample of N2 (by the way, actual tests have confirmed the correctness of my calculations). And now they brazenly write their reasoning about VIM3, not possessing his VIM3. :)

Your comments on the N2 cooling was bullshit then and still is bullshit because they bare no relationship to actual real world measurements from people who actually had the boards to base their measurements on (which you did not when you made those comments). So I suggest you still retract any complaints regarding cooling on the N2 since you are wrong.

A steady below 60Cent CPU temp shows that the cooling is more than adequate.

Shoog

LE has been working on a release for the VIM3, but I cannot say how ready for prime time it is. If its waiting for Mainline support it could be a way off. CE supports the N2 now and the alpha test releases are fully usable now, they await samples from Khadas for them to start development for the VIM3, but if they get them most of the heavy lifting will be already done and potable from the N2 work.

Khadas have released various versions of Ubuntu and Android, but I found that follow up support for their own software releases was fairly poor. How well team LE or CE support a product is somewhat dependent on backroom communication with Khadas and from what I gather this has been somewhat lacking in the past and the main difference between the companies, Odroid has been proactive in getting software support before release by working with developers.

Shoog

I have a VIM2 and my experience of the support is based upon that board. I have been happy with how it has performed since I got it, but if it wasn't for the work of the CE team this would not be the case. Team CE's feedback is that Khadas are not as good to work with as the Odroid team. I bought the dTV board and Khadas offered no Linux driver support for their own product and still rely on the Android dTV app for its use. The case it came in is just pathetically flimsy and I had to rebox it after a short while after it fell to bit whilst I was rebuilding it. I actually doubt that the standard heatsink offered by Khadas will be adequate without a fan since it is very small (only the size of the board which is very small), I added my own heatsink using an old video card heatsink and a lazy fan. I found the paucity of USB ports of the VIM to be a pain as you need to add an expansion hub, and the N2 has four onboard.
    Pricing is indeed the clincher though and if you are not based in the USA the price of the N2 is considerably higher than that available to the American customers (about €110 in Ireland). Look at current prices for the VIM2 (they have come down quite a bit) to see where the VIM3 will hit its final price point - its expensive.
    If the VIM3 is currently cheaper than the N2 for you (and your not going to be dependent on Khadas for software) I would say go for it as is a good little board, it just needs a bit of fetling to make it a user friendly living room box.

Shoog

After the initial "promo" price the VIM3's price is likely to be nearly twice that of the N2, this is based upon their previous pricing policy.

Looking at the specs the N2 is better suited to a life as a media-center, it comes with a high spec DAC built in - a feature which will cost extra on the VIM3 (a decent offboard DAC cost between €50-100).

For me though the biggest advantage of the N2 is its substantial heatsink which keeps operating temps down to below 60C. For long term reliable usage you are going to have to add a heatsink to the VIM3 and a decent case, if you go for Khadas offering in for this expect to pay another €50 for both and if they use their standard squirrel cage fan expect it to audible in the room).
    Finally my experience with Khadas is that community support is worse than the Odroid community support with little real input from the Khadas team itself.

The VIM3 is undoubtedly superior in terms of raw feature - but for a media-player everything it has to offer over the N2 is fairly redundant.

Shoog

I wonder how temperatures are going to be on that thing with no heat-sink?

or are they not showing it yet? because it might be massive and cover the whole board?

Indeed another flawed implementation from Khadas. It will overheat without a heatsink/fan which you will have to bodge together yourself (at least initially). To answer your second question - thats what they did with the VIM2 and it most definitely needed a heatsink and fan.

The direct competition, the Odroid N2, has a heatsink, a cheap yet decent case and is undoubtedly cheaper to boot.

Shoog

Ah... i was afraid that normal procedure would not work and would brick the box ...i dont remember where i have read this, so i never gave it a try hahahahaha

Many thanks for reply, i will try later :)

I can't guarantee that it wont brick this box.
    The issue is that the build really should be tailored to the specific box components, which is usually done via the bios reporting to the kernel - but these boxes have very specific unique bios's which might mean that things simply aren't detected. I am about to get an Atomic Pi with the same chip in it. I will be using the preinstalled Ubuntu as my base and simply running the Kodi as an app within Linux. There is a whole raft of scripts to load the specific drivers needed for the board so I simply wont risk a generic Kernel missing hardware support and leaving me with a semi-functional box.
    These chips are more like ARM chips that need a specific device tree to access all hardware.

There is a way to create a bootable USB stick with the Libreelec OS on it for generic boxes (its a few extra steps), which allows you to run everything off the USB stick and leave your native OS intact. It might be a good idea to try this as a way of testing hardware functionality before doing a full install.

LibreELEC 8.2.0 live USB how-to with Kodi Krypton 17.5

Again I cannot tell you if this technique still works on x86 boxes.

Shoog

Can anyone please explain for us that are not so tech-experts

what steps are needed to replace the installed windows with Libreelec

It used to be that you created a bootable USB stick using the Libreelec USB SD Creater tool. On first boot using the created stick it asked you where you wanted to install your Libreelec on your computer. After that it should simply boot to your installed LE system.

How to install LibreELEC on HTPC - A lightweight Kodi operating system

That's how I have always done it in the past, but things might have changed since there is a move towards running off USB/SD recently.

Shoog

Libreelec 8.2 had working driver support for your intternal tuner, I am not certain if it was ever ported over to the Leia builds.

Shoog