Posts by Shoog

The limit with all the Pi's is not so much the processing power which seems adequate (even a pi zero can play HD content well), no the issue with the pi is the lack of onboard memory which means there is always going to a lag when switching between tasks. This is especially noticeable when loading an EPG from a PVR. Also navigating around the GUI can be laggy but not such an issue on the 2 & 3. If you can live with this then I recommend the Pi 2 or 3 for LibreElec duty.

An intel based box is always going to beat a Arm approach. My main box is an ancient single core 64bit Fujitsu and it serves as the NAS and the PVR backend as well as the main room Kodi box with very little difficulty.

Stephen

OK status update. I went back and retried irrecord and on about the fifth attempt it managed to generate a functional Lircd.conf file. I used this and the keymap editor addon to get the functionality that I needed.

So alls well that ends well.

Stephen

Hi all,
    I am building a stand alone dedicated media player for use in my camper van. Its based upon a salvaged laptop screen, a decoder board and a Pi Zero. Streaming wise it works surprisingly well.
    However I need to get the GPIO IR remote working so that I don't have to buy a USB hub and I still have the USB port left free for memory stick
    s or WIFI dongles. I have wired up my IR receiver and loaded up lirc-rpi overlay. irw produces no output at all, but mode2 -d /dev/lirc0 produces output. I attempted to useirrecord /storage/.config/lircd.conf

to generate a valid config file but after the first two stages which produce dots it doesn't seem to produce a config that produces useful output.
    I am frustrated because I have previously managed to setup a pi-zero for a projector project using an IR-remote and LIRC and it worked fine - though this was a version around about 5 of Openelec.

All of the guides to LIRC seem to be outdated and from what I read from other people having similar issues, something has changed with LIRC between versions 6 and 7 of Libreelec.

i would prefer to use ir-keytables, but this also seems to have similar issues with ir-keytable -t producing no output at all.

dmesg produces this:

Code
    lirc_rpi: auto-detected active low receiver on GPIO pin 18
    lirc_rpi lirc_rpi: lirc_dev: driver lirc_rpi registered at minor = 0
    lirc_rpi: driver registered!
    lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 245
    lirc_rpi: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.

So what I know for certain is that IR is been detected, but it never gets translated into any useful output. I suspect that something is not right with Lirc-rpi and it needs attention.

Stephen

Hi all,
    I can confirm that this build (7.0.2) works with the the v8-8 board. WIFI is fully functional and system seems snappy.
    However there is a major piece of functionality missing for me at least. The only PVR support is Myth TV. What about TVheadend ?

EDIT: OK just found it in the LibreElec repository.

Great build, thanks a bunch.

Shoog

Hi all,
    I decided to go back to first principles and abandon my attempt to use IR_KEYTABLES. I tried to set up the layers of Lirc from the kernel driver layer to the kodi instructions layer, but I kept on having minor issues with getting specific intermediary LIRC codes recognised.

So in case anyone wanders down this path like me and can't find a solution this is what I did in the end. I accepted that the remote was working at the hardware and basic LIRC level. I cleared out all LIRC and IR_KEYTABLE setup files and my autostart.sh file. I loaded up and fired up the Kodi IRKEYMAP plugin and programmed all of the keys I needed manually. I got everything I needed working apart from the POWER button and the FAV button which do not seem to be correctly mapped to LIRC keypress events at the KERNEL level and so were not recognised by the plugin.
    Its quite a tedious process to program the remote in this way since each subsystem of KODI has to have its own individual unique set of codes programmed. Still this is a hell of a lot more straightforward than debugging a set of LIRC files.

I am satisfied with the outcome, but would have been even happier if I could have got IR_KEYTABLES working as it allows mapping to the limited set of keyboard controls which I need and is very straightforward to setup if LIRC isn't messing up the mix.

Stephen

OK folks,
    I love this build and it works great for me - apart from my remote control.
    I have a dvbsky s850 card which is supported by this build nicely. However the way I had my remote setup previously when I was running Lubuntu under kodi was to use a simple ir-keytables configuration to take the raw keypresses and translate them into Kodi keyboard controls. Worked like a dream on my old system. I tried simply copying over my autostart.sh and my remote config file and only a few keys worked.
    Turns out that the KERNEL now supports my remote using rc-dvbsky.c. This means that it uses a complex chain from ir-keytable to LIRC so even disabling LIRC on boot fails to get my setup working or to override the KERNEL driver. Bummer.

I have been advised that the best way to get this working is to go back to the original sources and modify the KERNEL remnote driver directly before doing a recompile. However in order to do this mammoth task (for me since I have never compiled a KERNEL before) I cannot modify the plain vanilla KERNEL, I need to modify the dvbdriver version of the KERNEL sources.

So where could I find these sources ???

Stephen

File is in linux kernel like build.LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0-devel/linux-4.8.12/drivers/media/rc/keymaps/rc-dvbsky.c.

Thanks for that, but it still leaves me in a situation where I need to find the source code of Libreelec_dvb and recompile it.
    Let me also point out that though I am a competent user of Linux I have never compiled a KERNEL in my life.

Stephen
    [hr]
    So I tried blacklisting the dvbsky driver but could not identify which one it was so no success.

Next I tried the following autostart.sh file:

Code
    # Kill lirc remote services

systemctl stop eventlircd.service

#start ir-keytable

ir-keytable -c -p RC-5,RC-6 -w/storage/.config/rc_keymaps/myremote

Unfortunately it seems to kill the ir-keytable functionality as well.
    However ir-keytable -t does in fact detect the raw codes been issued by my remote but doesn't seem to translate them into keypresses corresponding to my myremote file.

Executing sh autostart.sh produces:

Code
    Read Myremote table
    Old keytable cleared
    Wrote 32 keycode(s) to driver
    Protocols changed to rc-5 rc-6

Which seems to indicate that ir-keytable is reading myremote, but when I then ask ir-keytable what it is interpreting it still says that it is working with :

Code
    Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event6) with:
        Driver cx88xx, table rc-dvbsky
        Supported protocols: lirc rc-5 jvc sony nec mce-kbd rc-6
        Enabled protocols: rc-5 rc-6
        Name: cx88 IR (Bestunar PS8312 DVB-S/
        bus: 1, vendor/product: 14f1:8312, version: 0x0001
        Repeat delay = 1000 ms, repeat period = 125 ms

This is obviously not how ir-keytable should work and it seems that despite killing lirc the KERNEL is still loading its prefered driver, however LIRC has to be involved along the chain somewhere since killing LIRC disables the little bit of remote functionality I had.

Stephen

Since I am running an already modified version of the source code, and I am not certain that I will be able to find the source code for this specific version, it seems a big step to try to resolve my problem by building a modified version of Libreelec over the top of a modified version. Is there another simpler method to achieve what I need ?

Stephen

I did a full system search of my install using find. and it produced no results.

I have a suspicion that this code is somehow embedded into the Kernel and so is inaccessible to the user. If this is the case the question becomes how do you disable or override this kernel based functionality since my attempts to disable the lircd deamon and introduce a direct ir-keytable pathway has failed so far.
    Could I map the lircd output to a final keyboard minic of my choice ?

Stephen

Hi all,
    I have just migrated from a PC based Lubuntu based Kodi box. I am using a dvb-s card from dvbsky and when I had it running on the Lubuntu build I had it setup to use the IR-remote with IR_keytable. I found this very satisfactory and it worked fine after the hassle of setting it up.
    When I migrated and got the card working with the dvb-special build of Libreelec I simply transfered over my autostart.sh file and my remote.config file for the remote from my Lubuntu build. However I found that only a few of the buttons worked out of the box. What seems to be happening is that it is ignoring my ir-keytable setup and automatically setting up a lirc service with the driver;

Code
    Registered IR keymap rc-dvbsky
    [    9.837046] input: cx88 IR (Bestunar PS8312 DVB-S/ as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:10.0/0000:04:05.2/rc/rc0/input10
    [    9.837334] rc0: cx88 IR (Bestunar PS8312 DVB-S/ as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:10.0/0000:04:05.2/rc/rc0
    [    9.850341] input: MCE IR Keyboard/Mouse (cx88xx) as /devices/virtual/input/input11
    [    9.851791] rc rc0: lirc_dev: driver ir-lirc-codec (cx88xx) registered at minor = 0

So I found out that this is a preconfigured keytable with the following contents;

So it seems that all I should need to do is modify this file to for my required Kodi keymaps as defined in my Ir-keytable file and the remote should just work as before. Simple.

However the issue is I do not have a clue as to where this "rc-dvbsky.c - Keytable for DVBSky Remote Controllers" is to be found on the Libreelec file system. Anyone got any understanding of how Lirc is setup within Libreelec ??

Stephen