Posts by Shoog

You mentioned that you wanted DVB capability, the KI at about €60.00 is the cheapest way to get that and it doesn't run the risk of finding your USB DVB isn't fully supported. Otherwise as someone else said any S905 box will do. However at this extreme cheap end of the range there are many clone boxes which can cause lots of issues since often they are not what they claim to be and it might take a while to find a suitable dtb.

As someone pointed out, a RPI3 is the most reliable solution to your wants.

Shoog

This version plays PVR streams well, but recorded HD files are very jumpy - which is a regression from 8.90.6. Tried a few settings and couldnt get any improvement.

Edit: can confirm that setting fallback framerate to 50hz solves this.

Reverted back to 8.90.6 as this version seemed less stable.

Shoog

Exactly the same problem I'm facing.

I'm going to try to explain as clearly as possible:

I'm using Tanix Mini 3 (Amlogic 905W) and created the LibreElec card. Everything went fine. I followed OP tutorial to move Kodi data to internal and only boot from mSD, that went fine also. No problems at all. The thing is, that when I tried to use a Kodi backup setup from one of my other boxes and rebooted I got caught on a Kodi splash screen boot loop. I didn't know what to do, so I decided to start all over from scratch. I disconnected box from power, removed mSD card, went back to Android, did a reset there, burn LibreElec image again to my mSD card and rebooted. Now I have exactly the same problem as the user above. How can I fix this? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Same issue here. Happened twice to me. Don't know how I triggered it but got the same message. Leaves me a bit jittery that my system could crash and need a complete rebuild at any moment which isn't nice at all.

An advert for keeping the "installtointernal"

Shoog

Heh.
    I know the RC of this message in my LE implementations - mounting eMMc and symlinking .kodi folder to it, instead of using the TF/SD card storage partition.

8.90.6 works pretty snappy on my S905/S905X boxes with one little hiccup, just found - one HEVC, 10bit rip is all green. :)

Passthrough is working for me - DTS(-HD), Atmos, AAC... ;)

Seems to be what is effecting my USB boot as well. Solution ?

Need to check again when I get back from work.

Shoog

The issue specifically with khadas is that they allowed claims about their hardware to be circulated on their forum which were patently false and misleading and did nothing to correct them. the dTV is claimed to be supported on LE for months from within the Kernel and when this was discovered to be not the case they did nothing to correct the claim. Anyone such as myself who did their due diligence and researched their board would be left with the impression that LE with dTV would work with LE images from at least 5months ago.

So I can accept that they were unaware of the issue at the start, but they did nothing to correct the issue when they knew. They left a lot of people high and dry and did little to correct it. If they had I would not have bought the VIM2 over the KII pro and I suspect that is where their failure lies.

So I do not feel entitled to any support beyond what was claimed in their own forum, and I did my due diligence to ensure I would not be left in this situation. I understand well how LE works and am more than grateful for the hard work done by all contributors including yourself. I have been a happy user from the start of this project and previously ran my HTCP as a Lubuntu box, so I know fairly well what I am doing and what the pitfalls are.

But unfortunately after all this unnecessary hot air, I am still no nearer to understanding why I cannot boot 8.90.6 from USB.

Shoog

I'm not sure of KVIM2 works the same as other devices as I don't own one but if it is then burn the img.gz to a flash drive or sdcard and copy the kvim2 dtb from the device_trees folder on the newly burned flash/sd and boot up.

Thats exactly what i did and it didn't boot. I created a 8.90.5 USB just to check if I had done anything wrong and it booted first time.

Since the other thread closed and the question is very specific to this version - this is the only place to ask short of opening a new thread.

I want to test this and I want to be constructive, but its hard when I can't get a simple response. Has anyone else tried to run this version on top of an internal older version and encountered similar issues ? If not then I have to look for other solutions.

Shoog

Since I have no idea if your box is the problem or if it's something you did wrong when trying to install the first time, there is no way i can help you.

All i can do is clarify that if you install LE according to the given instructions, i't works fine on my Nexbox and My KI Pro. There is no way anyone else than your self can be hold responsible for the mess you have put yourself in.

Not helpful or constructive.

I have a working 8.90.5 build on internal.

I can run 8.90.5 from a USB stick with Libreelec 8.90.5 also on internal. So there seems to be nothing wrong with the workings of my box or installation or my 8.90.5 installed USB strick.

The issue is that using the same setup and trying top run the 8.90.6 from the same USB fails. I have done nothing wrong. I used exactly the same procedure to install the 8.90.5 to the USB stick as I did to install the 8.90.6 onto the same USB stick. One works one fails. Tell me what I did wrong there ???

I have asked a simple question three times - is it necessary to return to a stock Android ROM to run LE 8.90.6 off a USB stick ?

Shoog

I thought we were over this internal nonsense.

So to all/any of you internal fans, Can you please explain to me how running LE from a decent SD card has any negative effect on playing hw accelerate media?

I am, surprisingly, not interested in going back over this - the decision is made. Get over it and I was happy to move on if I could have tested 8.90.6 from a USB. I couldn't so the question is what changed ?

However something seems to have happened as a consequence which prevents loading 8.90.6 which will effect a\ few people and so I for one want to know what the solution is so I can move on.

So does it require a return to stock or not, or does the issue lie elsewhere such as a faulty dtb ?

Shoog

I have no problem booting 8.90.6 form SD on Nexbox and KI pro. So it defiantly works;)

Have you got an earlier version on internal or stock ROM.

The dropping of "InstalltoInternal" came out of the blue so I am certain you can appreciate someone who had used it might be a slight bit peeved. I would still much prefer to run from internal - because at least on the VIM the EMMC is quite fast (4x as fast as most SD cards). Again its no biggy - but if I am going to have to jump some hoops I want to be certain its going to be worth it.

Shoog

You are wrong, downgrading from 8.90.6 to any other version is doable if you are installed on an external device.

The funny thing is your waiting for an upgraded dtv driver for your kvim2 board when it already exists in 8.90.6, it contains the latest changes by afl1.

Shame your staying on 8.90.5 :)

When was the last change applied by afl1 ?
    Couldn't get USB to boot the 8.90.6 with either the supplied dtb or the previous dtb from 8.90.5, so lets clarify do you have to return to stock to upgrade. 8.90.5 boots just fine from USB when 8.90.5 is on internal as well.

Shoog

For once I wish I could step back from the bleeding edge, but decisions by people developing hardware support mean I am stuck on the knife edge. Wish I had have went with the KII Pro, but was sucked in by Khada's false advertising about the level of support for their product. Might just save myself the grief and get a KII Pro anyway.

Shoog

I've gone back to 8.90.4 too, it's a pretty solid build for me. Adamg mentioned that downgrading is not possible due to the new partitions so it might be essential to do a fresh install, and if you're installed to internal it may well break everything but I've uploaded it to dropbox anyway Dropbox - LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.90.4.img.gz (use at your own risk, etc. etc.)

If you are running on internal the partition change will not allow you to even run 8.90.6 from a USB stick. So disabling the "installtoInternal" will leave many people stranded. I suspect it will require a return to stock before you can run these versions if you are running from EMMC. Shame.

I will stick with 8.90.5 since I am also waiting for an upgraded DVB-S driver for my dTV card on the VIM2 and needs some additional tweeks to work anyway.

Shoog