Posts by redger

I tried the Dec 2 alpha build on Mini M8s II 2GB (S905x)

Most works well, unfortunately interlaced h264, 1080i stutters and freezes. Source is a mythtv backend (works ok with other front ends eg. intel). Note that I have set MPEG2 for software decode so it works fine albeit at high-ish CPU.

• Can be often induced by repeated jump forward & jump back. Not entirely reliable ie. occurs sometimes
    • Can be induced with screen overlays eg. codecinfo, menu overlay. Overlay activity can cause freeze.
    • Will occasionally correct itself. Sometimes a timer appears (as if resynching) after which the problem may be corrected ie. no more stuttering.

For this type of content the current "stable" release seems to play a little better (no issues with overlays, may have problems with jump forqward / back but less frequently).

Is this the ongoing battle with deinterlacing ? Anything I can do to help ?

Easiest way is to install this add-on : Add-on:Keymap Editor - Official Kodi Wiki

I've noticed some keys are not working :
    - media, music, app, fast forward and fast rewind
    - 2, 7, 9 and 0 seem to be duplicates.
    [hr]

[hr]

Thanks Fredouye

For the Mini M8S II (S905x) remote

I've updated the /flash/remote.conf as follows, to enable problematic keys (they all produce useable codes now)

to be used in conjunction with this file at /storage/.kodi/userdata/keymaps/gen.xml

Someone may find this useful.

It seems to be working ok for me.

I haven't really tested the "repeat" functions. They appear to have been deliberately disabled in the original version (and included some odd entries)

Obviously you can remap as you wish :) ... be aware that the kernel seems not to recognise some "standard" linux scan codes (Linux column), (perhaps they needed to be specified in hex)

redger Amlogic H/W decoder has issues with decoding SD MPEG2 videos. There *might* be an improvement in Krypton, we'll see.

Regarding custom EDID - currently there's no way to achieve that but you may want to take a look into something doing similar thing: disp_cap_hack

Thanks kszaq,
    The fix for the interlaced material was easy .... just deinterlace in software for low resolutions (<720) and hardware for high res.
    The screen interactions seem to be working properly now and I may have mis-diagnosed the problem. It looks more like a hot-plug issues ie. all works well if the screen is attached at boot time, not so good if I unplug / change screens.

Thanks again :)

First off thanks kszaq .... this build works beautifully on my mini m8s ii, fired up first time and works very well.

One minor item (may help someone) ... playing interlaced MPEG2 video at less than 720p was stuttering until I turned hardware deinterlacing OFF for resolutions < 720, then it played fine ie. software deinterlacing is superior to hardware deinterlacing for lower resolutions eg. SD tv

QUESTION is there a way to specify a custom edid file or custom resolution as with xrandr. I've searched the web without success ... can anyone advise ?
    I use custom resolutions because I have an unusual setup with tv and amplifier ... I have successfully specified custom edid for raspberry pi and use xrandr for ubuntu on nuc .... but cannot see how to achieve this on amlogic device

yes, thanks. I still need the asound.conf for channel mapping because the 2 device display a different number of channels and I couldn't make that work directly with Pulse combin-sink

It's working now :)

here's the final asound.conf

here's the final autostart.sh

I needed to

• Stop pulse and restart it before doing anything else. For whatever reason this makes the process consistent. Then restart pulse manually. Actually not sure I needed to stop it first
    • Stop Kodi just in case. Probably not necessary, but didn't seem to do any harm so I've kept it
    • "sleep" statements to slow the process down before Kodi starts. For some reason it takes Pulse a while to create the combined sink and kodi had been starting in the meantime so it didn't read & recognise the new sink

Additionally, in Kodi we then set the following in system settings/audio output/ -
    Audio Output Device = "ALSA: bcm2835, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI"
    Number of Channels = 2
    Enable Passthrough = true
    Passthrough Output Device = "ALSA: USB Sound Device, S/PDIF"
    AC3 Capable = true
    DTS Capable = true

Try some AC3 and DTS files, plus some stereo.
    Stereo will play through both the TV and the Amp, but AC3 and DTS will only play through the amp (tv limitation)
    We could make everything always play through both by setting Passthrough OFF ... this compromises quality BUT provides greater consistency of experience (WAF ?)

I've tried a few reboots and the setup seems to consistently provide the same result (not necessarily a given due to timing issues)

Thanks for the response.
    Yes, I have set dtparam=audio=on. Alsa is loaded at boot and the new plugin appears immediately after boot in the list generated by aplay -L ie.

The challenge is that the key pulse sink can only be created manually after boot. All the others are created successfully during boot as shown by pactl list sinks short ie.

Code
    OE-Pi3:~ # pactl list sinks short
    1       alsa_output.hw_0_1      module-alsa-sink.c      s16le 2ch 44100Hz       SUSPENDED
    2       alsa_output.hw_1_0      module-alsa-sink.c      s16le 2ch 44100Hz       SUSPENDED
    3       combined        module-combine-sink.c   s16le 2ch 44100Hz       SUSPENDED
    OE-Pi3:~ #

This is even after (a) the autostart.sh entries above AND (b) creating similar entries in /storage/.config/pulse-daemon.conf.d/99-default.conf ie.

Code
    load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,1 channels=2
    load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:1,0 channels=2
    load-module module-combine-sink slaves=alsa_output.hw_0_1,alsa_output.hw_1_0
    load-module module-alsa-sink device=plug:usbboth

Once the machine is booted I can successfully manually add the usbboth plugin to Pulse ...

Problem How do I ensure Pulseaudio recognises and creates the usbboth sink during the boot procedure ?

Thanks for your advice

I have a Pi 2 with an attached USB sound card. I'd like sound through both of them at the same time.
    I can make it work by creating a new Alsa definition and then adding that definition to Pulseaudio.
    The problem is that I can only use the newly defined Pulse device when (a) I manually define it via pactl (b) restart kodi using "pkill -9 kodi.bin"

/storage/.config/asound.conf is as follows

Then I define the Pulseaudio elements in /storage/.conf/autostart.sh

Code
    # Set devices for Pulseaudio
    pactl load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,1 channels=2
    pactl load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:1,0 channels=2

pactl load-module module-combine-sink slaves=alsa_output.hw_0_1,alsa_output.hw_1_0

pactl load-module module-alsa-sink device=plug:usbboth

Sadly the final load of "usbboth" doesn't do anything.

On the other hand if I log in via ssh and then issue

Code
    pactl load-module module-alsa-sink device=plug:usbboth
    pkill -9 kodi.bin

When kodi restarts (auto-magically) I can now select a new audio device. The ALSA:bcm2836 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI device actually sends sound to both the PI built in HDMI and the USB card (furthermore passthrough to both seems to work too, an unexpected bonus)

PROBLEM: How can I automate this so the Pulseaudio device is loaded/created at boot time ???
    Is this a sequencing problem, or is there something else occurring ?

Note that combine-sink is created successfully at boot time and can be used by Kodi. The problem with the combined sink is that it induces so much audio delay that it's basically unuseable (unpleasant anyway :)

Any help gratefully appreciated