Posts by Xsist

Just wanted to update you or anyone else having the same issue. Before I gave up I tried a different USB drive to boot to. A DataTraveler g4 32Gb drive was loaded with the intel generic build and I was finally able to boot to it.

All is again well with the world. Thanks again for all assistance.

After a Google Search, found this:

USB Boot

By default, USB booting is disabled. Once you are in Dev-mode and have a root shell (Ctrl-Alt-F2), you can run:

sudo crossystem dev_boot_usb=1
    and reboot once to boot from USB drives with Ctrl-U.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I will try my best to be as detailed here as possible as I sense your frustration and disbelief in the time I have spent attempting to research and solve this issue.

Up to this point I have been unsuccessful in accessing Dev Mode. I have tried all of the following with 2 different keyboards, and please keep in mind my box was not a dual boot box. I booted directly into Openelec.

With the box off , I have pressed a paperclip into the box, then powered on, and then released the paperclip. ... didnt work

Tried same as above but held the paperclip in the hole until I saw SeaBIOS at the top of the screen... didnt work

The methods listed below here have been attempted with and without the paperclip method listed above.

power on and hitting

ctrl+Alt+f2.... or
    Ctrl+alt+f3.... or
    Ctrl+Alt+T.... or
    Ctrl+alt+D.....or
    Esc

all gave me the same negative result . Here are pics of what I am seeing. I have also attempted to use the commands you suggest from this screen, and this was the result. I am trying everything I and find.

im ridiculously stuck.

Have you actually gone in to the bios while the USB stick is installed and changed the boot preference to USB?

That was what I had to do in order to boot from the USB stick.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

How do I do I do that? I thought that hitting the cntl+alt+f3 would do that and I am not getting anywhere with that. I have tried hitting ESC several times on boot. That didnt work. I have tried 2 different keyboards with the same result. How do I access the bios on the chromebox? I know it may seem like I am a moron but pls trust me when I say I have read forums and searched google for hours and hours trying to resolve this issue. At this point I am completely lost and am truly at the mercy of the board. I cant not convey to you how grateful for your assistance .

Thank for both for the replies.

I have created a new USB stick with the generic build and have it plugged into the chromebox.

I have attempted the CTRL+ALT+F3 and although the box thinks about it for a min... I still get the same text. It doesnt want to boot to the usb or give me an option it seems. I have tried it with 2 different keyboards and same result. Is there something else I am missing

Thanks again

Thanks, worked perfectly

I did the same thing and now it wont boot.

I am at a black screen that says

Booting from Hard Drisk...

Syslinux 6.02 EDD 2013-10-13
    Booting Kernel failed: Invalid Argument
    Boot: _

Any ideas?
    [hr]