Posts by juramusger

juramusger:

You could use the xbmc-send command with the PlayMedia() action.

Example with URL (for your usecase you could place a file on the sdcard and give the full path and name instead of an URL):

Code
    kodi-send --action 'PlayMedia("http://www.sample-videos.com/video/mp4/720/big_buck_bunny_720p_1mb.mp4")'

You could use autostart.sh in the config directory to run this command after kodi has started.

thanks for the idea, but it doesn't work sadly. I can start the cideo via ssh this way, but adding the line to autostart has no effect. isn't autostart.sh too "early"?

in the meantime I read Kodi Animation thread and XBMC Intro Movie.
    it seems I need to make a copy of the integrated Estuary skin and edit home.xml or startup.xml. I hope I will find the time sometime next week.

following the suggestion in KODI 17 - Enable Playlist At Startup, I now use the "Partymode autostart" add on from the official repo. This is not perfect, as it displays the main menu for a couple of frames before it starts the video you select in its configuration. but for the moment it's good enough for me, so for anyone interested, this is certainly the easiest way to start LE with the right brightness on a S905x box and no HDR TV.

[hr]

thanks kszaq for answers and new build, will also test next week.

so, here is a log where skipping behind 0:00 makes the video hang (while the OSD claims to play from 0:00).
    pausing and playing does not get it back to work, but skipping ahead does.

as I said earlier,
    1. this only occurs with some video files and I have not found out on what it depends. other mkv conatained h264 videos with encoded audio do not show this behaviour.
    2. hardware or software decoding does not make a difference.

as for lircd, I entered "systemctl stop eventlircd" and as kszaq said, all buttons on the packaged remote (that I don't normally use) work ok afterwards (p.e. home does not before). but top still says "/usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin --standalone -fs --lircdev /run/lirc/lircd" is consuming around 35 % of CPU.

finally, what is the difference between the suggested "fw_setenv hdmimode 1080p50hz; fw_setenv outputmode 1080p50hz" and what I'm doing now: "echo 1080p50hz > /sys/class/display/mode" ?

thank you!
    [hr]

Known issues:

• If you use S905X device with TV without HDR support the screen will be darker than normal on boot. It goes back to normal after you start/stop a video.

this is not really a big problem but it triggers certain OCD patterns since I started using your builds.
    is it somehow possible to let kodi play a very short (ideally user defined) video when starting up?
    I seem to remember reading somewhere on freaktab that people wanted to implement this for android but didn't find the elegant way, but LE is something else entirely.
    any ideas are welcome and I'll be happy to fiddle with it and share the results, but I don't know where to start.

I m currently using libreelec [Beta] LlibreELEC 8.0 builds I have strange error in my nexbox plz help...strange issue: skipping backwards/reverse "behind" 0:00 makes the video stop/freeze..

I reported that too, will post a log tomorrow hopefully.

I found that it's only on certain files though, most don't have that problem. it's also independent of hardware acceleration, who would've guessed.

s I also have lirc occupying around 40% cpu according to top, command "/usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin --standalone -fs --lircdev /run/lirc/lircd"
    want a log for that as well?

hmm, sorry for maybe having misled everyone. I have the same behaviour on older builds as well, in fact every build I still have on an SD card (7.0.3.012 and older 7.90 builds).

Code
    2723 root      20   0  584304 177264  25680 S  35.6  9.6   9:33.93 /usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin --standalone -fs --lircdev /run/lirc/lircd

this seems a bit excessive for cpu utilization, doesn't it?
    or is this kodi + lircdev? still, is 35 % cpu normal on s905x devices when kodi is idle? sorry if this is completely noob.

streaming sites fixed confirmed on my box as well.

strange issue: skipping backwards "behind" 0:00 makes the video stop. OSD shows that it catches up to 0:00 (from p.e. -0:05) instantly, but then it does not play. it plays again after pausing and playing or skipping forward again. want a log?

picture shift to the left is not fixed as expected.

but all in all no real world problems for me with this build, so big thanks kszaq and all devs!

Edit: I also have lirc occupying around 40% cpu according to top, command "/usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin --standalone -fs --lircdev /run/lirc/lircd"
    want a log for that as well?

You can always try running fsck.exfat on the Disk to see if there are errors.

thanks for the suggestion!

this is what disk utility on OSX does when repairing, it fires fsck.exfat from the GUI.
    do you think I might get different results if I run it from LE?

also note that as described in the OP, OSX was able to see two files while LE saw none before fsck, afterwards both saw the same, but two files still were missing. in the other instance fsck didn't bring back any files.

WD drive utilities didn't find a fault with the disk on a "full disk test", which claims to search the whole disk for bad sectors.
    In the meantime I found the software "Scannerz" which supposedly finds hard disk faults that other software doesn't, but I am hesitant to pay for it since the disk had no problems during the last year while using it on OSX and exhibited the mentioned problems soon after I started using it with LE, which leads me to suspect software instead of hardware problems as the underlying cause.

The only other thing that changed is that the disk is now attached to a powered hub because it is common knowledge in Kodi/LE forums that bus-powered disks can't get enough juice for reliable operation from an ARM device. Do you think that the hub could lead to the described symptoms?

I have used the disk twice since reformatting and so far no visible issues, but there are a lot of files and folders on this disk so I can't be sure whether or not it is fixed. Still hope for some suggestions or clues as to why this might have happened in the first place.

Thanks kszaq, Still works with Amlogic though, I presume ?

it does. this is the relevant part:

Code
    <latency>
    # general delay 
    <delay>0</delay>
    # delay for specific refresh rates, here 24p, you can of course specify for 50 or 60 hz as well, but at least in my case they are always the same so I use general setting for them 
    <refresh> 
    <min>23</min> <max>24</max> 
    <delay>175</delay> 
    </refresh> 
    </latency>

needs to be inside <advancedsettings> and <video> tags of course

I'm using your source built with kodi master. It seems that the pixel shift increases evrytime I play a video I.e. first video has no shift at all and subtitles are perfect then next video has slight shift and this keeps on increasing..

interesting. especially because sometimes it realigns (?) itself and subtitles show ok again.
    thanks for the in depth testing.

+ I also have the problems with German streams, it thinks it plays but it doesn't with HW decoding on. it doesn't even switch to the fullscreen video, but if I enter it from the sidebar I can see that it hangs on the first (?) frame and then keeps on playing, even longer than the stream is, until I stop playback. it does change refresh rate to the correct one though (but disabling refresh rate change doesn't make it work).

speaking about shifting to the left: I recently found out that the output is shifted one or two pixels to the left for all versions of LE I've tried so far. Again, screenshots are no use, so more photos:

now, this also only occurs with HW-acceleration on, when it's off the picture is perfectly centered.
    (accordingly?) video calibration is no use, I can set the left overscan as far as I want, it' always output the same.
    problem occurs on Krypton from the signature and 7.0.3.011 which is now on the SD card, haven't tried Dec 23rd build again (I need more SD cards for testing)

(should I post a separate thread/bug report or is it fine here?)

did anyone find out what's up with this pixel shift? I'm pretty sure it happens with every file that is hardware decoded, on one file I even saw a red line of pixels on the right. it's just that this test file shows it clearly. I found it also on youtube, so you don't need to download the whole suite of files from the link I provided earlier.

also, can other users test this please to find out whether it's common or just with my box?

thank you!

Yes. A new build is coming in a few days.

I see a lot of action and positive feedback on Krypton builds in the odroid forum (Raybuntu's build and also Dimitriss' snapshots from master).

Just a question: do all of you collaborate in some way? And is there any way for us mere 'consumers' to check up on where everyone is at?

Big thanks to everyone contributing!

It happened again.
    Do you know if this is something that might result from LE's exfat implementation?
    I have now reformatted the disk and am in the process of copying all files back to it (that will take some time). I hope there was something wrong with the FS that isn't anymore, but I'll see if it happens again.
    Sadly I have not found a viable alternative to exfat for my purposes.
    Any ideas to troubleshoot are still welcome.

Well, the box is a s905 and the TV is a samsung 6200 with no HDR. The HDMI cable has been tested, and I have an intel player next to this one (not capable of x265, main reason for the s905), with much deeper blacks. I have also an Rpi3 in another room/tv that I have tried with the same result as the intel.

It's ok, maybe it's an issue of my cheapo chinese box.

Thanks!

does your TV have a "black level" setting or something like it? maybe your intel box outputs RGB and amlogic outputs ycbcr by default (not sure if and how it can be switched).
    outputting video levels when the TV expects full range RGB causes grey blacks (and not quite as white whites).

I'm also having that overlay bug, took a screenshot but it didn't show up

So i had to use my phone, you can see it shifts everything to the left

(pics)

speaking about shifting to the left: I recently found out that the output is shifted one or two pixels to the left for all versions of LE I've tried so far. Again, screenshots are no use, so more photos:

now, this also only occurs with HW-acceleration on, when it's off the picture is perfectly centered.
    (accordingly?) video calibration is no use, I can set the left overscan as far as I want, it' always output the same.
    problem occurs on Krypton from the signature and 7.0.3.011 which is now on the SD card, haven't tried Dec 23rd build again (I need more SD cards for testing)

(should I post a separate thread/bug report or is it fine here?)

My media files are on an external harddisk, a WD myPassport, 4 TB. It's partitioned with GPT as one big partition, formatted ExFat. It's USB powered, which is why I use a powered hub. It gets mounted at boot and spins down when I shutdown.

Lately I noticed files missing from a recently accessed folder. Today I witnessed the same, almost in real time. I was playing a test file, adjusting audio offset. I stopped playing the file, edited advancedsettings.xml, then rebooted the box. Entering the same folder with the test files it was empty.
    Powered down, attached the disk to my mac, two out of four files in the folder where missing. "Repaired" the partition with OSX' disk utility, which found errors in the directory structure and claimed to have fixed it. The two files are still gone.
    After that repair LE was also able to see the remaining files.
    The last time a whole folder went missing.

I used testdisk (before disk utility) but the partition layout seemed to be ok. Contrary to LE (no files) and OSX (2 files out of 4) testdisk showed all four files (and not as deleted). So I could copy them. I would however not "write" the found partition table, as it contained a lot of strange files in various places as well.

So 1st, I think that something is definitely wrong with the disk.
    2nd but neither disk utility nor WD's tool can find anything wrong with it (now).

Do you have any ideas what could have gone wrong? I mean, LE shouldn't even have had to write to the disk, it was just reading the file from there? Still, the files went missing by rebooting.

Any tests or logs I can provide to narrow this down?

Thank you