Posts by kostaman

I have LE on nand, so I can't try that way, but anyway I think it is a software problem, because I flashed back Alex's OE (wiping everithing again) and it recognize my tv as 1080p@60 and I have no video issue.
    This evening I also tried to flash LE again, but the issue was still there.

Problem comparing to my MiniMx is i dont know what Android version you were on before you flashed LE.
    Do you recognise mine below ?
    Build s905_107L 1. Kernel version ly@ubuntu#1 Wed Apr 20 11:15:09 CST 2016.
    I've had issues like this on old Kit-Kat Android Firmware that had this resolution issue.
    My box arrived with s905_103L and i had to do 2 OTA Updates to get to 107.
    I'm just filling in the gaps to see what whent wrong.

I had openelec on nand and I decided to switch to LE (003). I wiped data, restored android and flashed LE using toothpick method.
    When I power on the box (MiniMX 1-8) it starts with 720p resolution (even though the tv is FHD)... but it's not a big problem. The issue is when I try to play a 1080p movie, because I see something like this:

I see something like that also if i try to change resolution to 1080p in settings, but if I give a (blind) confirmation and I reboot the box it keeps the 1080p setting and I have no problem... until I turn off tv and box, because when I power em on again everything starts from the beginning.
    There wasn't this issue on OE.

LOG:

Code

Something wrong in detecting your TV resolution on start up.
    Your box is showing 1280 x 720 native resolution as it fails to detect your TV resolution on start up.
    Try turning on the TV first and then the box.
    Go into Android and turn off Auto Detection in resolution settings. I dont know if this is relevant.

Lastly in LE go to Settings/System/SystemSettings/Input Devices Peripherals/CEC Adapter
    Devices to power on during startup select NONE
    If that is how the TV is being turned on.

Sorry but that is all i can suggest.

I can confirm that i am using Android Build Model MiniMX Version 5.1.1

I have a MiniMX but dont have this issue.

kszaq You will be glad to know i have identified what is causing the Ethernet Bug on my "MiniMX" and confirm the problem is something during cold boot and "only" cold boot.

Today i was able to bring back the ethernet when it was lost after cold boot by doing the following procedure in sequence.

I have wifi turned off in both Android and LibreELEC during the cold boot up.

Box boots up from cold and there is no ethernet no network connection whatsoever.

I run LE from SD so i go to LE settings and there is only the option of WIFI to activate.
    No wired connection option. It is missing.

I then pull the ETHERNET cable out and then Re-Insert it.

I immediately noticed on my Power Over Ethernet unit the signal throughput lights started to flash. 

I then used my remote to Reboot and once box booted up IT CONNECTED VIA ETHERNET.

Did this 10 times and it worked 10 times.

I also want to confirm that i have ELIMINATED my power over ethernet adapter as maybe being the cause as i tested the box with straight ethernet and the problem was there as well.

This procedure works in Android too , as i took the LE SD card out and did exactly the same thing in pulling out and re-inserting the ethernet cable and rebooting.
    Bang the Ethernet hooked up immediately .

So the conclusion is that Ethernet is not recognised during a cold boot either in Android or LibreELEC.

The FIX i have been able to come up with works.

So unless our Genius kszaq can give me one of his magic script commands i am stuck with this Bug.

Thanks for reading.

Tried the toothpick method, used to work with all other boxes.
    Have to try the reboot to recovery method though... Is that a standart feature of android 5.1? All my s805 boxes didn't have that option out of the box...

It depends on your box. I had one box that did not load and i used recovery method which worked.
    Its not a feature its just how the script is accepted by your box during toothpick method.

Good luck.

Thanks for your awesome work as always.
    Unfortunately my MXQ pro won't boot from SD, so I guess I'll have some soldering to do in order to debug through TTL...
    I'll keep you posted!

Hi Spekkie

Did you try going into recovery method as well as toothpick.?
    To boot the system for the first time you have to use one of the following:

• toothpick method: disconnect the power supply, insert SD card, use a toothpick to push reset button and connect the power while holding the button. Wait until LibreELEC logo appears and release the button.
    • recovery method: boot into Android, insert SD card and choose Reboot to recovery in Android. Your box should boot into LibreELEC.

Great improvement on memory Recovery kszaq
    Memory during playback I'm not too sure as I've done a comparison using s905 2gb new box i just got.

Compared to Android which i run SPMC i played a large x265 stream and i can report the Android SPMC
    has really bad memory recovery after playback. It went from using 39% during playback to 35% after stopping
    the stream.
    LE same stream memory usage about the same 38% during playback but dropped to 20% when stream was stopped.

kszaq

See logs link 1 is the log i took when ethernet was not recognised after a cold start. I then had to connect to wifi first and then smb to logs and copy the zip.

I then enabled Debug Logging and re booted.

The bloody thing connected to Ethernet. It usually doesn’t do that if I’m in LE after the loss of ethernet i have to go into Android as i explained before.

Link 2 is the log after reboot with debugging enabled and ethernet came back.

Sorry about this it is has now developed a schizophrenic disorder.

Log 1 MEGA

Log 2 MEGA
    [hr]
    Log 3 MEGA

Log 3 above taken after a cold boot and it hooked up to wifi.
    Ethernet was plugged in of course but wifi was also enabled so it was connected to my network via wifi only.
    I went into LE Settings and Ethernet was not in the menu as an option to turn it on.
    I disabled wifi then turned on enable event logging and enabled debug logging as well.

I then hit reboot from the power menu and when box came back on NO ETHERNET and of course no wifi as i disabled it before reboot.
    I turned wifi back on and took log number 4 below

Log 4 MEGA

After log 4 with wifi still connected and debug logging still running i did a reboot
    and when it booted up the ethernet was still not connected.

Log 5 taken: MEGA

I tried reboot again 3 times but it refused ethernet connection.

I persisted this time with power off and the 3rd try with using power off got ethernet connected. Log below.

Log 6 MEGA

Sorry kszaq this wifi thing is the devil bug.

Actually it does as long as you don't use WiFi. When you start using WiFi, there will be suspend and reboot issues. I have not found a fix yet.

I started buiding 7.0.2.003 release. For those who can't wait, here's a development build which will become 7.0.2.003: 2016-07-13

Hi kszaq

I want to bring to your attention a bug in the MiniMX which has only occurs when the box has been un plugged totally from power supply.
    I want to stress ONLY when the box has been un plugged.

This is a BUG that i have had since the Dev builds and i have done a Factory re set then ran Android alone WITHOUT LibreELEC to isolate any issues that may have possibly been caused by the SD card flashing of LibreELEC.

I can confirm that i am using Android Build Model MiniMX Version 5.1.1

The following issue occurs when the box is un plugged from its power supply.

When plugged back on (Ethernet cable plugged in) it powers up as normal but no Ethernet CONNECTION IS RECOGNISED.
    In settings under Device there is a Wifi tab instead of Network . I've tried plugging ethernet cable in and out but nothing happens.
    On some occasions the wifi has turned off in the settings and other times i have to just choose my available network to connect. Not prompted to re enter password.
    Connecting to wifi network works and i then use "power off" or "reboot" via power button which when the box comes back
    It has connected to Ethernet. This is the only way to get Ethernet Back. The only sequence that gets Ethernet back.
    Once it is back i can go back to Settings and under device column the Network tab is back.

Now for the bad news with LibreELEC is that when this Happens i can connect to wifi and reboot but it does not bring back Ethernet.
    Also in LibreELEC settings the Wired connection has gone as an option (Same issue as Android).
    The only way to get back Ethernet whilst in LibreELEC is to Reboot to nand and get it back following the above steps.

This never happens if the box has its power supply always on.

Tried hard to cover all the variables.
    Thanks.
    [hr]

I think coppying the <DialogButtonMenu.xml> from </usr/share/kodi/addons/skin.confluence> to </storage/.kodi/addons/http://skin.XYZ/720p> only works without mistakes, if the design of the installed skin is very close to the Confluence Skin. I mostly prefer to use the Xonfluence-Skin  on my devices (former "Confluence Customizable Mod"). This is nothing elso than a confluence skin, wich you can customize to your needs and your preferences. I guess this is the reason, why it works with my skin without mistakes.

Thanks Mark
    AppTV skin is very different to Confluence and i am one file away from fixing this.
    The skinner is helping me out on this one.
    Cheers.

I like the function "reebot to nand" in kszaqs shutdown-menue, but I prefer the use the Xonfluence skin (former Confluence Customizalble Mod). Unfortunately the shutdown-option "reebot to nand" is not avilable with the Xonfluence skin. I could fix this, whwn I deleted the <DialogButtonMenu.xml> in the Xonfluence-Skin and coppied kszaqs <DialogButtonMenu.xml> from </usr/share/kodi/addons/skin.confluence> into in the Xonfluence-Skin </storage/.kodi/addons/skin.xonfluence/720p>.

Cheers
    Mark

Hi Mark

Thanks for sharing the file path instructions to activate a "reboot to nand" in the power options menu.

I did exactly what you did and all the option texts came up and all would work when pressed.
    They only appear individually one at a time if i scroll down or up not all together with a background.

I use the APP TV skin with icons on home page and a QUIT Icon is the shutdown option.
    As soon as i hit the quit icon i can see (Text Only) "Power off system" ONLY Immediately on the screen. without colour background. I scroll down 1 Click and and i can see (Text Only) "shutdown timer", again the same Suspend, Reboot, Reboot from NAND.

Is there something extra you did or is it lucky your skin pulls the same Background Graphics File used by kszaq

Just asking if maybe you forgot a step.

I will shoot something off to the skinner but just thought I'd ask you as well.
    Thank you.
    Kostaman

I am so glad i dont own a 4K TV and never will.

Why ???? Read the link. TV Size to Distance Calculator and Science

Its technology out to get your money and now Google getting in on the action with
    their VP9 compression ripped off the H265 .

I sit 4.5 metres from my TV and because i am a human i cannot see the point of it.
    Lets all relax a bit because these chinese have started bringing out a new chip every month.

So far i believe kszaq has done an amazing job with the s905.
    His biggest challenge is juggling ram allocation on Boxes with only 1gb of ram.

I have just flashed an s905 Box with 2gb of ram and it is a flyer.
    Get a 2gb box and enjoy the ride with kszaq at the helm.

Sorry had to get that out.

I updated my post with logs maybe you can do the same. This will probably help kszaq much more then us just posting issues without logs.

kszaq i will start a new thread if you would like as to not clutter this thread.

Below is the quote from kszaq when i was testing the Dev builds prior to Public Release.
    He is aware.

"The memory usage is caused by how Amlogic's video decoder allocates memory for playback in S905 devices: it uses Continuous Memory Allocator to reserve huge amounts of memory and it becomes temporarily unavailable to Kodi."

Hope this helps you.

One word of advice "Dont go looking for frame drops or your eyes will start to trick your brain"
    Look at the screen as if you are watching the movie and not for frame drops. You will send yourself
    mad. I've been there during calibrating my Sharp Aquos when i first got it. I was fixated and then i started to see things that weren't there.
    Obvious frame jumps etc i wont tolerate.
    Kodi 17 wont be supported in Kit-Kat and if that is true ? The s905. is flooding into the chinese seller market.
    Buyer Beware cheaper boards and no Brand Kaos. HA
    S805 boxes will be $20 everyday.

Yes I wondered about this as well! Swaying towards the Beelink at the mo, although I have no money!!

Dont rush PatrickJB
    I have only one + for the s905 so far and i know it is only early development.
    The s905 produces Richer Colour and that is only evident on my 70 Inch TV
    The s805 is faster loading thumbnails fanart and gui.
    Wifi on our s805 is nearly twice as fast tested same spot in my house.
    4K videos are near useless to me as my TV is not 4K.
    I wont be Buying an UHD 4K TV as i sit over 4 metres away from the screen in my room.
    That means a Human Eye cannot pick the difference between UHD 4K and high def 180P at that distance.
    A lot of people dont realise this but it is a fact.
    Funny enough the best thing about the s905 is the 5.1 Android OS.
    Its a major improvement over Kit-Kat.
    Ive tested a 2gb / 16gb Android s905 running SPMC with repaired permissions for refresh rate adjustment and
    it is really good.
    A 2gb/16gb s905 running LibreELEC off SD card is a great box in my opinion.

...the wifi-performance of the Beelink Mini MXIII is poor ( 290MB file @ 1.6MB/s), but I have 10 different WiFi-Networks of my neighbours in the direkt surrounding and the have bad influence on each other, expecially when using my NAS or HD-IPTV. Therefore I always use the LAN-port of my TV-Boxes. Moreover the Gigabit Ethernet of the Beelink Mini MXIII, tested with a large file, is much better in both direction (flash to SAMBA, and SAMBA to flash) with an average transfer rate of 16.2 MB/s.

Cheers
    Mark

Yeah
    I dont know if this will be cleaned up by kszaq as it is pretty weak in Android as well.
    No idea what chip is in the MiniMX or whether the drivers are up to date.

Really surprised you used 64gb sd card with success.
    Specs say up to 32gb. for the Beelink.
    Thanks for the info.

Hi Mark
    I ran the Dev Builds on 1 gb / 8g MiniMX and it runs great out of the box except the 1 gb of ram is highly allocated to video
    playback which sometimes on big files starts to struggle. Could be your MXpro is the same. I notified kszaq about high ram usage and he is aware of the issue. It is a balance of video quallity and performance.

I am interested of the wifi performance of the MiniMXiii. How do you find the speed.
    The MiniMX is quite slow.
    Cheers.
    Kostaman