Posts by Jaaxx

There is a very simple way to downgrade if you're using SD card: if you're using Windows you can use 7Zip to unpack .img.gz file down to first SD card partition content. Then simply replace kernel.img and SYSTEM on SD card with the ones that you unpacked

I very often do upgrades/downgrades this way.

I have never had a non-booting issue using this method but on several occasions I have had a lot of wonkiness actually using the box afterwards. If this happens, I simply copy the img to .update folder and let it do its thing and all is well. I attribute this to using dodgy sd card adapters on my laptop when copying the system images.

I would advise spending the extra $10 and getting 2G of RAM. Even if you never touch it with the particular setup you might be using, it's nice to have a little headroom for the future.

Also, pay close attention to audio outputs. A lot of boxes omit an optical output which might be key to you if your TV does not passthrough audio to your AVR properly.

If you will be using wireless be sure to do some research and make sure the device you are getting has a good chance of being supported in LE. Also, do not assume that in 2016 all boxes will come with 1G ethernet connections.

Just a niggle, but I really hate boxes that use a standard size SD card slot. They are not recessed and so 75% of the card just hangs out the side. Doesn't affect performance, but looks a bit clumsy.

And if you want the *least* hassle get a Wetek or OdroidC2. They are not without issues, but there is a boatload of documentation and support available.

What's the trick for AAC and Passthrough as I'm having issues getting any sound. I changed the channels to 2.0 but then I just get stereo and obviously it's not ideal.

Channels: 2.0
    Upmix: Off
    Passthrough: On
    AC3 Capable: On
    Enable DD AC3 transcoding: ON
    Other settings set to taste/AVR capability
    Pray
    Stand on one foot with a piece of aluminum foil in hand

This way I get a DD 5.1 signal at my AVR from all sources.

As a side note, I got a DTS signal once during the Today show. Since enabling transcoding I have never seen DTS again. I would think that Kodi would leave DTS alone and simply pass it through, but something is afoot. I would say check the Kodi wiki or docs, but no one seems to truly understand when transcoding occurs or doesn't. Good luck!

It power off the TV and after a second it power on automatically in LE HDMI input. It looks like the TV notice that it is something in the HDMI and it power on again.

Is possible to send other command to power off completely?

Kind regards.

Play around with the CEC settings on your TV and turn off any options to automatically turn on (ie on source change, on device power, etc.)

Do similar in Kodi CEC settings if you are using that.

- With SPDIF Dolby TrueHD Atmos sound is converted to 2 channel sound but center is missing so I hear no dialogues. The AC3 passthrough isn't working correctly. My AVR can handle AC3 and DTS so I deactivated DTSHD and TrueHD in passthrough settings but I still have this bug.

Amlogic audio is sort of a mess at the moment. Add on top of that Kodi's incredibly convoluted audio system and you have a real dumpster fire. That being said, LE devs are making steady progress and I'm seeing improvements regularly.

My results are:
    - Without passthrough you can only get either stereo output or multichannel missing center and LFE. Kodi's Audio DSP won't help you.
    - With passthrough you CAN get all formats (including AAC encoded to DD 5.1!) if you hold your lips just right and the trade winds are favorable.

For now, learn to love stereo and Pro Logic.

- On brightness settings lower than 50 the whole screen is lighting up like in extreme gamma settings.

Same here on an x96 2/16 box. Extremely irritating but sorry to say I'm glad to finally see someone else reporting it as I was beginning to think I might have a hardware defect!

See this post. Look familiar? LibreELEC

I want to configure the POWER key to power on/off the TV with CEC, but I don't know how to do it.

The Kodi built in functions appear to be broken in LE, I never could get to the bottom of it.

I use the following script for my TV. It creates two temporary files to track status. $file indicates whether the TV is on or off, $file2 indicates that the script is working as there is a several second delay for cec-client to do it's thing. $file2 prevents my impatient wife from pressing the button a million times and running the script over and over.

The script also sends a stop command to kodi and sends a notification when turning off the tv. I simply leave my LE box on all the time.

The script is called cecpower.sh and I call it from my keymap like this:

Code
    <key id="323664">system.exec(/storage/.kodi/userdata/cecpower.sh)</key>

The whole thing is quite a hack, but it works in my case.

I have the same/similar problem as Sine64.

For me DTS passthrough works fine, all channels work. For non-passthrough mode and spdif a Dolby transcoded signal is sent, but is always missing the center channel AND the LFE channel. Also in some modes not only is the center/lfe channel missing, but the side channels seem to be mixed together and sent to center. So I end up getting music and effects through the center channel with no dialog whatsoever.

I plan on testing this more thoroughly, but it's very time consuming with so many permutations in the settings on my system.

Meanwhile, analog out is still a no go on all builds so far. :(

SPDIF does work sort of. I get a signal via optical. However the volume is very low unless I enable passthrough.

Also telling is that my attached amp detects Pro Logic mode in normal mode and Dolby Digital in passthrough for some reason.

I believe that in passthrough the channel settings, etc are working correctly. In normal non-passthrough mode, the volume is very low and the center channel is so predominant that it sounds horrible.

I did discover that the analog output DOES have a signal, but it is very, very faint. On a 100W amp with all volumes cranked to max and all volumes in Kodi maxed I can barely make out the audio. I still suspect that we are missing some controls in alsa, etc. There SHOULD be a volume control for both i2s and spdif. As it is now, there is neither and the DAC volume which is available has no effect on any output stream.

Got impatient. Analog in 008 is not working :(

Controls available are very different. Also, muting/unmuting i2s and spdif does not produce the popping sounds like in 009.

First boot from sd works fine,but after a reboot the kodi Library is corrupted.
    Tried usb stick same result...

Try a good quality SD if you're not already. My boxes are very finicky about which cards I use. Cheap no-name "Class 10" cards were giving me all kinds of corruption issues. I only use Sandisk Extreme Plus and Samsung Evo cards now and no more issues.

I will try 008 this evening and hopefully I will have an A/D converter to test the optical spdif output tomorrow. It's been driving me nuts not knowing if spdif is working silently all this time.

I have a bit of experience working with sound devices in Linux, I was the realtime kernel guy for PCLinuxOS for a time and had a studio recording based distro RocXshop. Unfortunately this arm based sound system has me a little flummoxed. At this point I would love to tell if this is an issue with driver/alsa config or with device tree.

If it helps HERE is the dtb extracted from the original android firmware.

Bug: No output from AV jack.

Device: (Tomato?) X96 s905x 2G/16G connected to various amplifiers via both original AV cable and standard 3.5mm to RCA cable.

Affects: 7.0.2.009 and all devel versions up to and including 11/26/16

Notes:
    AV out DOES work in original Android firmware
    HDMI audio works perfectly (except for pops on connect/disconnect which has been reported elsewhere)
    SPDIF (optical) has not been tested yet (waiting on D/A converter)
    In LE i2s and spdif are muted by default in alsamixer.
    Unmuting or muting i2s causes a popping in any device attached to AV jack via either the included AV cable or a standard 3.5mm audio cable. The same popping also occurs anytime the soundcard wakes or sleeps and can be heard through the HDMI audio stream as well.
    Increasing "DAC Extra Digital Gain" above 0db causes a very faint hissing to be heard from devices attached to AV jack.

Speculation on my part, but the hissing at very high gains seems to indicate that a signal IS being output via AV. However, it seems that the Kodi audio stream is somehow not being routed properly.

Logs and additional info:

Screenshot from alsamixer before unmuting i2s and spdif:

Full Log Set from clean install (system booted, liveTV stream started (mythPVR)): Logset 11/26

I think this is going to turn into a full bug report soon. Seems no one else is having this issue.

I find this when starting a livetv stream:

And this little bit of oddness at the tail end of "amixer -c 0 contents"

Code
    numid=10,iface=PCM,name='Playback Channel Map'
      ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---R--,values=8,min=0,max=36,step=0
    amixer: Control hw:0 element read error: Invalid argument

I will setup a fresh SD card with 009 and create a new post with a full bug report and logs as soon as I have a little more time.

Analog audio in S905X is via T9015 codec which seems to have mapped correctly on your device. What kind of audio cable do you use? With my S905X device a standard 3.5mm plug is working well. Can you confirm that analog audio works for you in Android?

Although I now have LE on NAND, analog out was working with android during the brief time I was testing.

I have discovered through alsamixer that Audio i2s and Audio spdif were both muted. When I unmute/mute Audio i2s in alsamixer I can hear a thud through my amplifier, but no further output. Maybe i2s has a hidden mixer control which is currently set to 0?
    [hr]
    Hmmmm... only controls for i2s and spdif are MONO switches.