Posts by blinkmxq

Any way to disable HDR completely (e.g SSH commands)?

Forum search doesn't work to save its own life. Google site search turns this up:

Code
    echo 0 > /sys/module/am_vecm/parameters/hdr_mode

This probably won't fix the issue you're having (I've been messing around with this for a little while now), but 0 is hdr->hdr mode. 1 is hdr->sdr, and 2 (default) is auto. To disable, you'd want to use 1, but you'll probably get the wrong colorspace.

Edit: disabling AM_VECM solves the issue on boot, but most hdr material will still be unwatchable. kszaq says on github that it's needed for OSD, but I haven't run into any issues with it disabled in libreelec-7.0.

Edit2: main post implies that HDR-supporting TVs aren't dark on boot, when in reality since HDR isn't supported, all TVs are affected.

I believe the partition labels should be LIBREELEC (boot) & LIBREELEC_DISK (storage) ;)
    (Or, perhaps it hasn't changed for the 7.0.3.x builds :s )

It differs between libreelec 8 and 7: LibreELEC.tv/platform_init at libreelec-8.0-sX05 · kszaq/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub and LibreELEC.tv/platform_init at libreelec-7.0 · kszaq/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

Edit: I just tested a libreelec-8.0 build from kszaq's repo, and got: Error in mount_storage: mount_common: Could not mount LABEL=LIBREELEC_DISK

However, kszaq's last libreelec-8.0 build dd'd to a micro sdcard the same way works. So I'm definitely missing something in the build process for micro sd or s905x.

Update: partition layout from amlpkg .img isn't correct, and the second partition doesn't mount. Using the same structure and just updating the build seems to work.

I'm trying to test a basic patch to support color space conversion for my bt2020 videos so they're watchable (not hdr but hdr tv unfortunately), and haven't been able to boot even current kszaq libreelec-7.0 HEAD builds on my s905x device from sdcard. Kszaq's builds boot flawlessly.

I don't know what's different between how I'm building for sdcard, and how kszaq does:

PROJECT=S905 ARCH=arm make amlpkg

I then dd the image, copy dtb (gxl_p212_1g.dtb), and try booting. However, on booting the sdcard it is unable to mount LABEL=DISK (unlike kszaq's builds).

How can I build for sdcard? I do working non-media_build/backports builds for my s805 mxq, but do tar internal updates on it.

Make sure you don't have CPU-intensive tasks/addons running in background. In Kodi 17 + Amlogic smooth playback depends a lot on free CPU resources.

I've only tested on a completely stock installation with no addons or even library import. On my 23.96fps x264 1080p movies (~12G), it will stutter during fast camera movement which makes action movies unwatchable. Try skipping to a fast scene in any action movie to see. Depending on whether auto refresh is enabled or disabled, the movie will either stutter by skipping, or slowing down and speeding up very quickly. My 25fps planet earth II also stutters more consistently whether auto refresh (50hz) is on or off (60hz).

My s905x performs a bit better on krypton than the s805 with these videos, making me believe it really is a performance issue with the faster scenes. However, for similar performance issues (but with 4k), it's also staying on jarvis for now.

@all 7.90beta2 build posted in OP - fixes and improvements included.

Really big thanks to Peak3D who redesigned AML decoder in Kodi Krypton. Thank to his hard work and patience we can now have near-perfect HW-accelerated video playback in Kodi Krypton!

I'm currently rebuilding addons and will update repositories soon.

Do these updates fix 23.97 automatic refresh playback?

Edit: it doesn't.

I got a 1gb ram s905x box and new samsung 4k/hdr capable tv running this libreelec build perfectly with just a single issue with hdr movies: the tv recognizes the video is HDR (says "HDR video is now playing" in a quick message), but all the blacks are horrifically blocky. If I check the "hdmi black level" on the TV, it's stuck to "Auto," when it should be set to "Normal." Unfortunately because the source isn't correct, I cannot change this setting on the TV. I had this same issue on android, with no options to change it.

On a PS4, I can set the full black output range for good HDR playback, and the TV "hdmi black level" option is no longer grayed out. Any suggestions other than just disabling HDR through the sysfs interface (since I want working HDR output)?

This isn't a bug, and the solution's simple:
    Change the refresh rate and resolution in settings to what is used during video playback (looks like 4k and 24hz), then do video calibration. Video calibration is different for each resolution and refresh rate profile. I recommend changing the video calibration for any combination you may use during video playback.

GitHub updated. This build doesn't have PR10887 as it doesn't work well with automatic framerate turned on. This build has "pure" Kodi 17 beta 6 with 1 fix regarding playback for S805: aspect ratio tracking for H.264 streams.

Thank you for your awesome work. I still have bad stuttering on my 23.97fps movies (which are almost all of my approximately 800 movies), so I'll hold off on running it daily for now.

I did notice an improvement with 50fps video playback on a TV with no 50hz support (60hz): On the current stable release, movies playback flawlessly when auto changing the refresh rate to match the 23.97fps, but my 50fps Planet Earth II and fights stutter (not quite as bad as movies on the alpha release though). On the alpha release, 50fps videos playback nearly perfectly at 60hz (probably what minimoe noticed with his formula 1 race).

I, too, confirm that there is substantial stuttering. Not only with with high bitrate files but also with smaller x264 ones with bitrate around 1000kbps. Looks like Krypton is not ready yet.

Is there a console command to reboot from NAND? I use Amber as my main skin (very nice and fast) and it doesn't have this option in the shutdown menu.

You're right, I misspoke earlier. It actually stutters on all videos I've tried on it. Prior, I had only watched a lower bitrate video during a calm segment.

The system is certainly not underpowered. Stuttering may be caused by the new approach that is used to video decoding and I think that frame rate automation is not working well yet with the new decoder.

Okay, that's good to know. I don't think the system is underpowered; It's just how it looks since in calm scenes there's no stuttering. It's only in big camera movements that the video stutters.

I looked in the s905 wip thread, and found another user talking about the poor video playback compared to jarvis: LibreELEC

Could the stutters be due to the amcodec update? Interestingly, for me the stutters only occur in big movement or fast action scenes (not every 40 second like he says). It makes it look like the system is underpowered for the videos.

Wiped the previous comment for an update (on red stripe beelink mxq):

The .update method doesn't work with this img.tz unfortunately. I built myself off the SX805-bringup branch, and was able to successfully update off the tar output (link for those interested: Dev-Host - - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service).

However, I'm about to downgrade due to the very poor video playback. Lower resolution (such as 720p) and low bitrate videos playback fine, however no matter refresh rate changing or other options, the higher bitrate 1080p videos stutter VERY badly. These ran flawlessly on the previous releases. I even tried toggling the amcodec hwaccel options (which I needed to do in previous releases when the option didn't stay enabled post-update).

I will pay attention to this release for when playback is fixed, since I'm a big fan of Estuary.

Edit: My higher bitrate x265 stutter badly in addition to the x264. Definitely sticking with personal builds of previous releases (due to mce remote deprecation) until playback is fixed.