Posts by chewitt

Realtek breed new wireless chips faster than anyone can figure out how to support them, and 80% of their drivers are "out of tree" with low-quality driver code. Over a period of years we got bored of adding ever more shitty realtek drivers that break with every kernel bump, so we stopped adding them. In the future we'll probably move to IWD which will making it technically impossible to use half their junk too. Get a used Apple A1rport Express and run it as a WiFI bridge. It will present Ethernet to the Pi, has better range/throughput than any USB dongle, and there's no drivers required so they're future proof. You can use any WiFi bridge device, but I find the A1rport ones to be cheap ($15-20) now since Apple stopped selling them.

If your network functions correctly there is never any need to fiddle with cache settings, and the solution to a network that doesn't function correctly is to fix the network, not fiddle with cache settings. RPi 3B+ has weak wifi performance so it's best to use Ethernet or an external wifi bridge that presents Ethernet. I use some Apple A1rport Express WiFi routers in bridge mode for this .. they are fairly cheap (second hand on eBay), easy to set-up, they out-perform all USB wireless dongles for range/throughput, and no drivers are needed.

Code
    Apr 11 17:28:58 LibreELEC connmand[478]: eth0 {del} route fe80:: gw :: scope 0 <UNIVERSE>
    Apr 11 17:28:58 LibreELEC connmand[478]: eth0 {del} route ff00:: gw :: scope 0 <UNIVERSE>
    Apr 11 17:28:58 LibreELEC connmand[478]: eth0 {add} address 192.168.0.16/24 label eth0 family 2
    Apr 11 17:28:58 LibreELEC connmand[478]: eth0 {add} route 192.168.0.0 gw 0.0.0.0 scope 253 <LINK>
    Apr 11 17:28:58 LibreELEC connmand[478]: eth0 {add} route 192.168.0.1 gw 0.0.0.0 scope 253 <LINK>
    Apr 11 17:28:58 LibreELEC connmand[478]: eth0 {add} route 0.0.0.0 gw 192.168.0.1 scope 0 <UNIVERSE>
    Apr 11 17:28:58 LibreELEC connmand[478]: ntp: adjust (jump): +18133880.539957 sec
    Nov 07 13:40:19 LibreELEC connmand[478]: eth0 {add} route 212.227.81.55 gw 192.168.0.1 scope 0 <UNIVERSE>
    Nov 07 13:40:19 LibreELEC connmand[478]: eth0 {del} route 212.227.81.55 gw 192.168.0.1 scope 0 <UNIVERSE>
    Nov 07 13:40:20 LibreELEC crond[281]: time disparity of 302231 minutes detected

Pi devices have no RTC chip so on boot before NTP has updated the clock the time will start from the release date of the current version of glibc which probably dates from a release in April. Once the network is up NTP updates the clock and dateTime changes.

How are you running MariaDB? .. it doesn't look like the DB is up/running before Kodi attempts to access it.

You realise that on anything with 1GB+ RAM we already load the entire OS into RAM? .. and the amount of read/write generated by Kodi on /storage is not particularly high - not high enough to make those solutions worth chasing.

systemctl stop kodi

nano /storage/.kodi/userdata/guisettings.xml

find and edit videoscreen.screenmode to contain <setting id="videoscreen.screenmode">0192001080060.00000pstd</setting>

find and remove any content in videoscreen.whitelist, e.g. should look like <setting id="videoscreen.whitelist"></setting>

save and exit

reboot

As long as the device presents 1080p@60 modes, it should now be the desktop resolution. This should all be selectable in the GUI anyway.. but without debug logs and such there's no way to guess why not.

RPi4 requires GBM/MMAL code paths in Kodi, and while MMAL exists in the Kodi v17 codebase the GBM bits do not, so it is not (and is unlikely to ever be) possible to run Kodi v17 on an RPi4 board. There is sub-zero official (LE, Kodi or Pi Foundation) interest in exploring that direction. It's not impossible to backport .. but that depends on your personal coding and distro packaging skils?

NB: In LE the base OS, dependencies and Kodi are tightly coupled. You cannot update Kodi without updating the base OS at the same time, and you cannot just swap Kodi versions in/out as you like.

LE supports a single GPU being used, and if you have multiple devices the one used is determined through udev, see:

LibreELEC.tv/97-xorg.rules at master · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

^ the i915 device will be detected first, the amdgpu or radeon drivers are later. The simplest option to prevent i915 from being used is to blacklist the kernel module so it's not loaded at boot, e.g.

Code
    echo "blacklist i915" > /storage/.config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

This will prevent udev seeing the node from the driver and it should find the AMD card instead.

NB: the above assumes i915 is the module name. It's about 10-years since I booted LE on anything with an Intel GPU so check it's right first.

Not being able to use the original hardware version with Apple PSUs isn't really a big obstacle. All the cheap(er) PSUs/cables that are advertised for RPi4 use will be fine with it - and the Pi Foundation already started shipping revised hardware that fixes the problem a couple of months ago (released silently to avoid inventory issues) so if you're buying from one of the tier one resellers it's unlikely you'll receive the old version now. RPi4 firmware already started to drop temperatures a little by adding power efficiency - but the gains from that direction will be small and will come slowly over time. Some kind of cooling is mandatory - and for an HTPC use-case the best thing to do is get a case that acts as a heatsink. I'm using the Kodi flirc case and the device runs around 50ºC in a closed and poorly ventilated space. It would be niceer if it ran at 35ºC .. but it's not running at 75ºC like it was in bare-board state in the week after launch. The flirc case is a nice looking case too.