Posts by chewitt

Refusing to support RAID (and disk encryption) is about keeping our distro images small and keeping what our all-volunteer team has to provide user support for simple. RAID is not "risky" but there are 20+ flavours of RAID and based on user requestts there isn't one thing we can add, so we end up being asked for many things and many tools and .. we have always tried to avoid "the death of a thousand cuts" where we keep adding little things that cumulatively lead to LE being yet another bloated general purpose Linux distro instead of the focussed and minimal Kodi client distro that we are (and always have been).

There are many distro choices that support Kodi so there's probably another with package management so you can add the RAID and other thingst you are interested in. You also have the option of taking our codebase and modifying it any way you like. That's the fab thing about open-source.

If a Library source has content set to none the only scraper that will be used is the default .nfo scraper. This means nothing will be added to the Library views unless you prepared .nfo files that describe all the content. If all you want is a browsable view of the files/folders use the 'Videos' node on the home screen as this simply shows the files/folders.

Prices seem to go up and down. I've got three of them and the most I've paid is USD $23, the cheapest was USD $12 .. from a UAE seller (local to me) advertising on the US site and wondering why nobody was bidding (postage to the US would have been crazy).

A1392 .. the second generation (square) ones. Prices for them seem to go up/down but there's usually someone offering one caked in dust (they clean up easily) and missing the easily replaces (figure-eight) power cable, and that one's the bargain. The first generation ones are always cheaper but I've had a few die on me over the years - the second generation are solid.

Converting 4K media to 1080p is handled in hardware but you still need to copy 4K images in memory and on cheap ARM boards (even well made ones like the RPi4) that doesn't come for free. If you play 4K media on a 4K panel (witth whitelist entries) there's no conversion involved. Scaling lower resolution content to 4K has a similar process but with the desktop size at 1080p Kodi will scale SD media to 1080p and output 1080p and the TV can internally handle the upscale to the 4K native panel resolution. You could also force Kodi to run at 4K desktop, but the TV will do a massively better and more efficient job at scaling 1080p to 4K than Kodi/RPi4 will. Low-power ARM boards are fantastic when everything is aligned and they can work to their strenghts. If you want something that can convert anything to anything .. start with a Core i7 NUC as you'll need the CPU grunt :)

Internal installation is not (and never will be) supported on cheap box devices using LE which is why we have never included that script in any of our official releases .. ergo you are not using one of our releases.

I have default config.txt (no hdmi_enable_4kp60=1 or GPU increases) and a LG 4K TV with 23.976/24/50/59.94/60 Hz modes set for 1080p and 23.976/24/25/29.97/30 set for 4K and the desktop defaulted to 1080p. Apart from washed out HDR content (as no HDR support) I have no issues playing anything. I don't have any 4K60 media .. hence no need to force that config.

fbicknel is playing [email protected] media on a 1080p panel and RPi4 isn't optimised for that kind of thing (and won't be for aeons) so best option for him would be to re-rip that Movie in 1080p.

NB: The issue witth 25/29.97/30 modes is that Kodi always outputs progressive so interlaced media requires 50/59.94/60 so that each half-frame can be rendered as a full frame. There is no 4K interlaced media so this is only a 1080 thing.

At the end of the day not all media is ripped properly, not all TVs support all refresh rates, and RPi4 support under MMAL "is what it is" because it was a quick and dirty hack to ensure something worked at launch. The focus of all development is on GBM/V4L2 not MMAL.

NB: I'm booting the 1GB LaFrite fine with Linux 5.6-rc6 so there's no issue with the dtb size. LibreComputer pay Baylibre to upstream everything so I doubt there's anything missing from the upstream kernel apart from audio card stuff (will be done for Linux 5.8 probably).