Posts by chewitt

This should probably be reworked as a GitHub repository so the contents are under version control and are in a flat structure that would be suitable for programatic use within distros. This would also allow users to submit new/corrected files. I'll have a think about it. NB: All meson-ir files should be converted and submitted to the upstream kernel so ir-remote details can be included within device-tree files (which also need submitting) to improve the out of box experience.

There are two ways to boot the VIM3 .. from SD card, from eMMC.

From SD card: write LibreELEC-AMLG12.arm-9.80-devel-20200426060538-38764c8-box.img.gz to an SD card, download Dropbox - u-boot.ext - Simplify your life and place it in the root folder of the SD card, then put the VIM3 board in update mode, it will find the SD card, and LE will install.

From eMMC: follow the SD card install procedure, then run the following commands:

Code
    cd /storage
    wget https://test.libreelec.tv/LibreELEC-AMLG12.arm-9.80-devel-20200426060538-38764c8-khadas-vim3.img.gz
    emmctool w LibreELEC-AMLG12.arm-9.80-devel-20200426060538-38764c8-khadas-vim3.img.gz

This downloads the eMMC install image to /storage and writes it to the internal eMMC storage, overwriting Android. Now power off the board, remove the SD card, and power on again. It should boot into LE on the eMMC. If you ever want to reinstall Android to eMMC, Khadas have an SD card tool called krsecue that will help you do this.

USB/SD Creator works fine for writing SD card images for all the test images (not just KVIM) but install to eMMC is a two stage process.

If you restore bootsector.img to the USB using any USB writing/flashing app it will erase the bootsector - including knowledge of the extra partitions that Windows doesn't understand, and then Windows will allow you to reformat the USB. It sounds like the original is some filesystem corruption.

The image you downloaded is for eMMC install. It will not boot from an SD card unless the eMMC has been wiped. If you want to keep Android or some other Linux on the eMMC you can use the "box" image, edit the dtb name in uEnv.ini first. Once booted from SD, you can use "emmctool" to write the other emmc image to the internal storage.

It's not possible to build from local source folders, it's just not how the build-system was designed to work. I use the following script to automate the process of generating a patch-set from the committed changes beyond a specific githash that typically corresponds to a release tag. This way I can tweak things like device-trees in a kernel branch, commit the changes, then swap to another terminal window where I run the script to update the patches, and then I respin the image with changes. This is probably as-fast as fidddling with sources, and forces me to commit/squash and rebase changes in a more structured way. See:

The LE settings add-on checks for updates against update.libreelec.tv which is on 46.101.13.226 which also hosts our main website, and PTR records for that server are probably wrong or out of date. Kodi uses add-ons (so you're using some, even if you don't use add-ons) and Kodi will redirect checks all over the place based on mirrorbits redirection so you will always see some "random" connections.