Posts by decr

Hi,

Sorry if this has been answered before but I'm having a hard time getting my Mecool M8S PRO+ (2GB RAM / 16GB flash, S905X) to boot off SD/USB. Following the install instructions it seems none of the applicable (no reset button) methods seem to work. Every time there is a storage medium with the LE image present it hangs on the Mecool logo.

I have an older S905 box as well with the appropriate build, that worked with the a dummy .zip file update method and boots LE just fine off USB. While I don't expect the S905X to boot that image I would expect it to proceed past the Mecool logo nevertheless so I'm unsure whether it's the image, SD/USB, or the boot method.

Now to clarify I don't have Rufus available (running it under Wine has been hit/miss in the past) so I have dd'd the image instead, it seems to come up fine but I'm not sure whether there is some Rufus magic involved and whether the image is OK for just the usual dd. After dd'ing I can see the partitions just fine. The image for the S905 worked fine with dd though.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

An easier way would have been to follow the "Alternative way of installing via recovery (not recommended):" step.

Once the sd card had the 5 files you boot into Android launch the BACKUP&UPGRADE app and select any random/dummy zip file hit install. The box reboots and starts flashing LE from SD to NAND.

Heh, this is more or less what I did with my MXQ PRO 4k, follow official img install instructions to flash a USB stick with kszaq's LE, shove any random .zip file on there, boot to android and go to backup/upgrade, select the .zip, hit install/upgrade. Now my box boots to LE from the USB stick (in port 4) with NAND seemingly intact.

Edit: Which is actually really good as while mine has a reset switch it seems it doesn't work even with stock firmware, I've seen similar reports from others.

Read from above link.
    These MXQ Pro's seem to be clones of different versions of clones. HA! :D

Thanks for that. Seems like I'm stuck with booting off USB for now, it's fast enough. Mine is a MXQ_905 2015 ... something ... V1 I think. I don't have the box handy right now to check.

Thanks again for your help.

gxbb_p200_1G_100M.dtb

If you haven't needed to use the realtek wifi tree in previous version i think the above device tree should be fine.

OK, I cloned the SD card to a 32GB UHS-1 one (in USB4, using an adapter) and everything seems fine so far and all those previously mentioned issues went away. Load is hanging around 1.4 with 1080p playback over NFS, seems all good. And yes, it's a 100M Ethernet model with Realtek (8189es) WLAN. Both worked fine out of the box.

Any ideas regarding the reset / boot to recovery for this box as holding the switch behind the AV port while powering on seems to do nothing?

Thanks

You should have used the 7.0.2.008 device tree.
    You have made an error with the tree version.

The is no gxbb_p200_1G_mxq_pro_4k.dtb for 7.0.2.008, so I thought I'd have a better chance of success with a tree that has been labelled for that particular device. What is the equivalent for mxq_pro_4k at version 7.0.2.008?

Hi,

I just wanted to chime in that booting LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0.2.008-fix.img.gz worked fine on my 1G RAM MXQ Pro 4K with device tree gxbb_p200_1G_mxq_pro_4k.dtb from 7.0.2.007, using USB port 4. My box is reset handicapped so I used the update method from Android and it booted to LE fine and everything seems to work out of the box.

The only thing within the short amount of testing was that navigating menus was choppy, starting a video clip took ~30s, stopping and starting a new one seemed to crash the box. I might account this to the miserable SD card I was using, so this isn't a complaint... 720p and 1080p seemed to work fine otherwise, there might be an issue with subtitle overlay making video stutter but I'll need to look into it more.

All in all awesome work and I hope I can help out ironing out any problems with these boxes as they are fantastic value for the $$$.

Oh, and sorry if this has been answered somewhere already, is there a reliable way to boot to recovery/boot off SD/USB in case internal flash gets stuffed (as my reset switch doesn't work)? I've seen some reports of shorting NAND pins with alternating results so it would be good to know before deciding to flash, otherwise I'll just run it off a decent SD card I suppose.

Cheers