Posts by shiro

True, I read somewhere about it. I just didnt think that it could be so slow. Especially when it have no problem with read speed, only with writes.
    Are there any good advantages in ext4 comparet to ext3? Maybe I format the HDD into it later, when have time for moving about 600GB of data again :)

May the NTFS be a culprit of this slow speed? If yes, even then it is weird that read from HDD is 80-90MB/s and write is only 20-30MB/s.
    And will I have access to that HDD from win10 over LAN if I reformat it to ext3 ? I think yes, because of Samba will handle it, but rather ask for sure :)

Have you tested your network using iperf3?
    For LibreELEC there is an addon, other systems have their own compiles.

I did the test, results are below:

Dont know for what exactly I need to look, but I see 942 Mbits/sec badnwidth, so I assume its okay on my 1Gbit LAN.
    192.168.0.178 is HTPC (mediacenter) and 192.168.0.177 is win 10 PC.
    The mediacenter was server, the win10 PC was client. But it doesnt work oppositely, dont know why. When I tried to run iperf3 from htpc (connected to console via putty), and hit enter, it just make one empty space (like empty row, without any text) and nothing happened. Dont know if this was because of putty, or it indicates a problem.

Is the target drive the same one that LE is installed to?
    Or are you using a secondary drive? If so what format etc?

No, LE is on SSD. Only LE, nothing else.
    Movies and Music are on HDD where I copy all the data over the LAN (WD black 1TB 7200rpm)

I also try to disable "large send offload" in driver settings on win10 PC as I read somewhere it helped some people. Nothing change.

Hello,
    I was struggle with this before with OpenELEC, but this is the same thing.
    What are possible solutions when USB stick refuses to return to its previous working state?
    I mean formatting USB stick back to its full size after installing LE.

Shortly, my previous Pretec REX100 usb3.0 stick was passed out, after I write install image of OpenELEC to it. And nothing can restore it back into its full size again. I tried various ways, apps, even SDFormatter mentioned here on forums.

Now, after install of LE, I was afraid of my second USB stick (sandisk ultra fit 16GB, usb3.0) will behave the same, as the process of making usb install stick is nearly identical. LE just use its own image write utility.
    On usb stick, there was three partitions:
    - 512MB with installer
    - 32MB system
    - 13.8GB unallocated free space
    ...only that 32MB system partition was manageable in windows disk management and I can delete it.
    Other ones have all option greyed out. Why?

As I found here on forum, there is possibility with SDFormatter to restore one big partition back on usb stick.
    With my Sandisk stick, it works, and I have it back. That is good.

But what with other usb sticks? How to tell if they are compatible, or they will work? I read also that some can and some can't work....I dont wanna to stupidly buy usb sticks in the future because of this. Or, can be the install image somehow modified to create partitions on usb sticks, that are manageable and I can delete them freely even through windows disk management? Idk why they are not manageable there. It will be much better without the use of any special tools like SDFormatter = even more risk, because nobody knows what that utility is doing in background, how exactly it works. Why to use them, if it can be done from windows disk management if possible?

Today, I tested some new things:
    - flash AM1H-ITX's BIOS to latest version
    - change SATA cable between MB and HDD
    - enable/disable CSM in BIOS
    - connect HDD to ASMedia SATA controller (didnt use it and have it disabled in BIOS before to speed up boot)
    - free another 100GB on HDD to test if its caused by drive's speed because of occupied space
    - checked SATA config in BIOS - all in set as AHCI

I have installed LE as in UEFI mode. I have installed also OE before in UEFI mode. Idk if that can change something...problably not.

...and nothing helps . I really dont know where is the problem.

No, I always copying from HDD to HDD, I have nothing on htpc's SSD, only OS

So, I just formatted htpc and installed fresh LE 7.0.2.
    After initial set-up (ip adress, htpc name), I tried to copy some files.

- copy between directories through KODI's file manager on internal HDD in htpc PC running LE 7.0.2 fresh install - speed was about 25-35MB/s
    - copy between directories on htpc's local HDD like before, but I did it on windows PC through windows explorer - speed was around 20-35MB/s
    - copy from windows pc to htpc running LE - 20-35MB/s
    - copy from htpc to windows pc - from 59MB/s to almost 100MB/s depending from the particular file

htpc's internal HDD is 1TB WD black, and has over 100GB of free space.

I did nothing else so far, only those tests...so everything is set up as it comes with fresh install of LE 7.0.2.
    so...why I can copy from HTPC to windows pc with minimal speed of 60MB/s, but writing is only about 20-30MB/s, even on libreelec?

Thanks for the hint. I have checked it and it says that dialect is 1.5
    I checked it via PS command "Get-SmbConnection"
    I have put the samba.conf file to the use so I can set parameters to samba in openelec (rename samba.conf.sample to samba.conf and reboot openelec htpc). There is setting about smb "max protocol = SMB2" but even after restart of both pc's, it still using 1.5.
    Main windows pc is windows 10 x64, which reports dialect 3.1.1
    Is there any way to tell openelec to use higher dialect for greater speeds over LAN?

Its not about that :)
    Im talking about copying files from my main pc with windows, to htpc running openelec. It was doing this from very first time when I install openelec there, about 2yrs ago. There it was v 4.0, today I have newest 6.0.3, but nothing changed over entire time.

Copying speed via wired gigabit LAN was always like 30MB/s. Did some research and at the end, everyone just told me that it is because of something with samba. It just run this slowly when there is file transfer from windows pc. From replies on openelec forum, they will do nothing about it. And I dont simply understand, why I must go 30MB/s, when I can go 90MB/s.

I just want to know if there is any benefit running libreelec, if it does have something better solved under the hood than openelec in this case. I dont know, maybe newer version of samba, which has this resolved, or something like that. I dont know nothing about compiling such a system like *elec, so its just my plain thinking :)

Im working in IT and altough not dealing with linux much, cant just believe that nobody have resolved this over those years of samba development.
    Just imagine running network in some company like this, with maximum speed about 30MB/s. Just because of samba and nobody takes care about it.

Hello,
    I wanna ask if Libreelec too have limited transfer speeds over LAN to approx. 30MB/s ?
    I am currently using Openelec, which has such a limitation because of samba, and nobody wants to do anything about it. I have tired various tips, settings of buffers, etc. Nothing work.
    When I install windows, the speed is limited only by speed of my HDDs, which is 60-90MB/s.
    Is really weird on 21. century to copy huge files such as HDrips just about the speed of usb 2.0 over gigabit home LAN from windows pc to htpc using openelec.

My htpc setup is:
    asrock am1h-itx
    athlon x4 5350
    2GB RAM
    GPU integrated in CPU.

Thanks.