Posts by jmooremcc

HooRaay! I finally got LE 8.0 to compile.
    Thanks vpeter for your advice that helped resolve my pronlem.
    Your advice to update the e2fsprogs package and the fonts package specifically helped resolve the issue. The update to populatefs was not required,.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Your method backs-up and then restores "all the crap" from OE into the new clean LE install. There is no cleaning benefit :)

I acknowledge "some crap" but what's the alternative? Manually install every addon and every configuration setting?
    Compared to "updating" an existing image, the method I outlined and used delivered superior results because less baggage, I.e. crap was carried forward. [emoji4]

On the RPi create a backup of your OE configuration and copy it to your computer. Next put the LE 8 image on a new SD card using their usb creator app. Boot up your RPi using the LE 8 image and do a minimal configuration that will allow you to connect with your computer using samba. Copy your OE configuration backup to your RPi's download directory and perform a restore operation. You should also anticipate that your advancedsettings.xml file, if you have one, may need to be updated due to changes made in Kodi Krypton.

A big advantage of the above method is that you will have a super clean image with minimal crap from the old system.
    Another advantage of this technique is that you will still have the old OE system available just in case.

I'm running LE 8 on a good ole RPi and have no problem with Estuary lagging at all. In fact I have it connected to a 1080p TV and Krypton is running very well. The RPi2 runs rings around an RPi so I'm surprised to hear your complaint about its performance.

For me it is

Code
    build.LibreELEC-RPi.arm-8.0.0/toolchain/sbin/populatefs

I think something is messed up with your system. This package should be build automatically.

It's not in that directory on my system.
    I'm running the following system on a Dell computer:
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 16.10
    Release: 16.10
    Codename: yakkety

what's the command to compile only populatefs?

Not sure what happen but this should work.

Code
    PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm ./scripts/clean populatefs
    PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm ./scripts/build populatefs:host
    PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm make

Unfortunately that didn't work. Got the same error. Where should populatefs be located?
    Is it a script file or executable?
    I did a search using the find command and find said the file does not exist.

Sent from my EM756 using Tapatalk

Code
    wget -O packages/x11/font/liberation-fonts-ttf/package.mk https://raw.githubusercontent.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv/c4ab1f6ca47dcb781811f9a3740506267e229ea1/packages/x11/font/liberation-fonts-ttf/package.mk
    PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm ./scripts/clean liberation-fonts-ttf
    rm sources/liberation-fonts-ttf/liberation-fonts-ttf-2.00.1.tar.gz*
    PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm make

I appreciate all the help you've given me and I feel like I'm almost there.
    I now have the following error:
    ===================
    image: creating file LibreELEC-RPi.arm-8.0.0.img...
    image: creating partition table...
    image: creating part1...
    image: creating part2...
    image: creating filesystem on part1...
    image: creating bootloader configuration...
    image: copying files to part1...
    image: extracting part2 from image...
    image: creating filesystem on part2...
    image: populating filesystem on part2...
    image: error happen...

scripts/mkimage: line 287: populatefs: command not found

image: cleanup...
    ===========================
    I ran the following commands you gave me:
    wget -O packages/tools/populatefs/package.mk package.mk

and then recompiled but I still get the same error dealing with populatefs.

What should I do next?

Full Log:LE8 Compile 3/6/17

Then try to bump populatefs too:

Code
    wget -O packages/tools/populatefs/package.mk https://raw.githubusercontent.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv/master/packages/tools/populatefs/package.mk
    PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm make image

I've implemented all of your suggestions to myself and others with similar problems compiling LE8.
    However, now I'm getting the following new error:
    ===================================
    You will probably need to make your busybox binary
    setuid root to ensure all configured applets will
    work properly.
    --------------------------------------------------

make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/john/http://LibreELEC.tv/build.LibreELEC-RPi.arm-8.0.0/busybox-1.25.1/.armv6zk-libreelec-linux-gnueabi'
    INSTALL busybox (target)
    INSTALL busybox (host)
    INSTALL hdparm (target)
    INSTALL e2fsprogs (target)
    INSTALL diskdev_cmds (target)
    INSTALL libressl (target)
    INSTALL zip (target)
    INSTALL bzip2 (target)
    INSTALL unzip (target)
    INSTALL usbutils (target)
    INSTALL libusb (target)
    INSTALL systemd (target)
    INSTALL libcap (target)
    INSTALL kmod (target)
    INSTALL entropy (target)
    INSTALL parted (target)
    INSTALL parted (host)
    INSTALL procps-ng (target)
    INSTALL netbsd-curses (target)
    INSTALL nano (target)
    INSTALL rpcbind (target)
    INSTALL libtirpc (target)
    UNPACK liberation-fonts-ttf
    Makefile:12: recipe for target 'image' failed
    ===============================
    Do you have any advice for resolving this issue?

BTW, I wanted to use pastebin to post my entire log but unlike previous logs, the current log file is huge (36MB)

You need to use newer e2fsprogs package. Run this:

Code
    wget -O pr1154.patch https://patch-diff.githubusercontent.com/raw/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv/pull/1154.patch
    patch -p1 <pr1154.patch
    PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm ./scripts/clean e2fsprogs
    PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm make image

Thanks for your help.
    I followed your advice but encountered the following problem after the 2nd command:
    ========
    LibreELEC.tv> patch -p1 <pr1154.patch
    patching file packages/sysutils/e2fsprogs/package.mk
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 17.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file packages/sysutils/e2fsprogs/package.mk.rej
    ========

I'm new to compiling LE and have successfully compiled the master branch. However, I'm trying to compile the 8.0.0 branch and keep getting the following error when creating the image file:
    ============
    image: creating file LibreELEC-RPi.arm-8.0.0.img...
    image: creating partition table...
    image: creating part1...
    image: creating part2...
    image: creating filesystem on part1...
    image: creating bootloader configuration...
    image: copying files to part1...
    image: extracting part2 from image...
    image: creating filesystem on part2...
    image: populating filesystem on part2...
    image: error happen...

Error: [Filesystem error] /tmp/tmp.XWIglA7cq4/part2.ext4 cannot be opened.
    ===============

In the target directory the img, kernel, system and tar files are created but not the img.gz file.

I would appreciate any assistance anyone can offer to help resolve this issue.

For Kodi Krypton the settings have changed. I use the following in my advancedsettings.xml file for buffering on my RPi:
    <cache>
    <memorysize>26214400</memorysize> <!-- number of bytes used for buffering streams ahead in memory
    Kodi will not buffer ahead more than this. WARNING: for the bytes set here, Kodi will consume 3x the amount of RAM
    When set to 0 the cache will be written to disk instead of RAM, as of v12 Frodo -->
    <buffermode>0</buffermode> <!-- Choose what to buffer:
    0) Buffer all internet filesystems (like "2" but additionally also ftp, webdav, etc.) (default)
    1) Buffer all filesystems (including local)
    2) Only buffer true internet filesystems (streams) (http, etc.)
    3) No buffer -->
    <readfactor>3.0</readfactor> <!-- this factor determines the max readrate in terms of readfactor * avg bitrate of a video file.
    This can help on bad connections to keep the cache filled. It will also greatly speed up buffering. Default value 1.0. -->
    </cache>

4.1 advancedsettings.xml changes
    Main page: advancedsettings.xml
    <useddsfanart> - removed in v17 Krypton.
    <cachemembuffersize> and <readbufferfactor> - In v17 <cachemembuffersize> is renamed to <memorysize> and <readbufferfactor> is renamed to <readfactor>. In addition, all three buffer related settings in <network> are moved out of <network> and into a new <cache> parent tag.
    <minvideocachelevel>, <minaudiocachelevel>, and <cacheindvdplayer> have been removed in v17.
    <useffmpegvda> - Tag was only used for development testing. Removed in v17.

If I were downloading from your website directly, you'd have a good point. But this ingenious application you created (usb-sd creator) is so convenient and easy to use, it eliminates the need to routinely go to the website. If the drop down menu also showed the kodi version, that would give me all the information I would need to make a download decision. Just Sayin'...

You didn't understand....

LibreELEC is a Linux distro which ships Kodi in different versions. LibreELEC itself is on an alpha-state, but the Kodi version it ships is on the Beta. that means LibreELEC 7.90.008 ships Kodi 17 Beta 5.

There is no LibreELEC beta (yet)...but the available LibreELEC alpha version already ship the Kodi beta versions.

Hope it's clear now

Thanks for the clarification.
    The version I downloaded previously was a beta 3 version of kodi that was disabling the nextPVR addon. I downloaded beta 5 this morning, restored from my backup and everything is working as expected. Krypton is also solving the wabc addon problem I was experiencing under jarvis.
    It would be nice if the LE distro title included the Kodi version as well.