Posts by ajb

If you mean yourself, I have to agree.

This doen't help ... But anyway, I looked where this configuration is made and suggest the following solution:

1. I see the need of doing some automatic configuration BUT I also see the need of the rule, that no machine should alter any configuration made by an human. Could we agree to that important point?

2. LibreELEC puts it's host.conf - whatever configuration the devs/deciders might think of are right - to /usr/share/services or whatever place

3. LE looks whether /storage/.config/hosts.conf exists. If not, LE copies the configuration from place 2 to /run/connman/hosts. If yes, LE copies /storage/.config/hosts.conf to /run/connman/hosts. Python-script system.py in LibreELEC-settings-*/build/service.libreelec.settings/resources/lib/modules can be cleaned up where the "configuration" is made right now:

hosts.write('127.0.0.1\tlocalhost %s\n' % self.struct['ident']['settings']['hostname']['value'])
    hosts.write('::1\tlocalhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback %s\n' % self.struct['ident']['settings']['hostname']['value'])

This would be clean and proper.

For hosts.conf I suggest the following content:

I would like to use the USB-Tuner PCTV 292e on the WeTek Play 2 like on Raspberry Pi3. It works out of the box with LibreELEC (official) Version: 7.0.3 on the Pi, while on the WeTek Play 2 there are some kernel driver parts missing.

I know that you are inevitably tied to the old Linux kernel 3.14.29 by Amlogic on the wetek box, where you can use the more modern Linux kernel 4.4.13 on the Pi. The kernel module em28xx is already onboard with wetek, but the si2168 e.g. is missing. Could it be included by backport to make the PCTV 292e DVB-T2 tuner work here, too?

The PCTV 292e is one of the rare working DVB-T2 sticks and in Germany they switch the aerial TV system to DVB-T2. So this would be very nice to make it work.

Does anybody know whether there any plans to use a more modern kernel for the WeTek Play 2 away from the Amlogic kernel, more to the mainstream Linux kernel line?

BTW, this is the second tuner stick which doesn't work with the Amlogic kernel while it works on other platforms. You might think that some kind of exclusion of other tuners couldn't be by accident. Just my thoughts ...

I'm digging into the eth driver, can anyone confirm the play 2 is using the am_net8218 driver ??

nope, it's stmmac:

# cat /lib/modules/3.14.29/modules.builtin | grep drivers\/net
    kernel/drivers/net/mii.ko
    kernel/drivers/net/netconsole.ko
    kernel/drivers/net/tun.ko
    kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac.ko
    kernel/drivers/net/phy/libphy.ko
    kernel/drivers/net/ppp/ppp_generic.ko
    kernel/drivers/net/ppp/pppox.ko
    kernel/drivers/net/ppp/pppolac.ko
    kernel/drivers/net/ppp/pppopns.ko
    kernel/drivers/net/slip/slhc.ko
    kernel/drivers/net/usb/smsc95xx.ko
    kernel/drivers/net/usb/usbnet.ko

[...]

I've put up a test build here if people want to try, it works fine on mine, but don't blame me if stuff breaks (it shouldnt, but still)

LibreELEC WeTek Play 2 test builds

I tried your last image LibreELEC-WeTek_Play_2.aarch64-8.0-devel-20170108131246-r25157-g9e4c5ea.img.gz and network device with 1000 Mbits still shows the frozen behaviour ...

That my workaround (tested it now many many hours) isn't a solution for 4k movies, is clear to me. But maybe it is the right step in the right direction to get rid of this bug. Does the workaround works for you with SD and HD material?

I also experienced strange network device breakdowns on the Wetek Play 2 since many LE versions. Today I started to hunt that and maybe my log will help the LE developers to catch this nasty bug:

My LE version is compiled from github master and has version: devel-20170106171602-r25136-g3adb69f 8.0, kernel: Linux ARM 64-bit version 3.14.29 (installed to NAND). All services are disabled: no Zeroconf, no Webserver, no UPnP / DLNA, no Airplay. Skin is Confluence. I use TVheadend 4.1.2309 with ?scam and this runs quite well - with the known bugs described here in the forum.

But always when I watch a longer movie from my NAS or stream Live TV to a clients VLC, the network goes down. So I switched on Debug-Logging with all components and asked VLC to view an HD broadcasting from the wetek server to my laptop (connected via WLAN to my homenet; wetek is connected to the LAN device). And within some few minutes, the LAN device broke down (it doesn't matter whether it is DHCP or static configured).

Here is my log: Ubuntu Pastebin

I started my Wetek Play 2 at 2:55, waited 5 minutes and started VLC at 3:00. At 3:02 the eth0 device collapsed. What I can see in the log: there is a lot of UPnP talkings to my router and my NAS (syno DS412+), although I switched that off! I consider UPnP as insecure and avoid to use it anyway. I haven't thought that UPnP service is running when it is disabled ;-P

After 03:02:49.235 T:545996714208 INFO: Platinum [neptune.http]: cleaning up connection (1 remain) - I just waited some seconds and swithed my box off and booted it to SD-card to save the log. Why is connmand not able to bring the device up again?

Hope my investigation will help
    ajb

Dear LE-Team,

it is many many years ago, that I edited /etc/hosts and was wondering that some code of software ignored it and claimed to know it better. It was SuSe's YAST which drove many admins crazy ... Here it is like a little déjà-vu now:

Meanwile some months ago, I wrote my very small bug-report and pointed out, that the hosts file created by connman is not quite right and that the example of the given hosts file is not correct. It has nothing changed. And I pointed out that I don't know the side effects of it.

Today I compiled the LE master from github for my WeTek Play 2 again and without any hosts file I can find:
    [hr]
    wetek:~ # cat /run/connman/hosts
    # hosts.conf

# This configuration file allows you to manually map hostnames to
    # IP addresses

# Format: <ipaddress> <hostname1> <hostname2>
    # Example: 192.168.0.3 libreelec libreelec.mynetwork

# NOTE: do not edit /etc/hosts directly
    # edit /storage/.config/hosts.conf then reboot
    127.0.0.1 localhost wetek
    ::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback wetek
    [hr]

With my own hosts file containing the lines
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.178.1 fritz.box
    192.168.178.4 syno.fritz.box
    192.168.178.40 wetek.fritz.box

I get the false /run/connman/hosts again:

127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.178.1 fritz.box
    192.168.178.4 syno.fritz.box
    192.168.178.40 wetek.fritz.box
    127.0.0.1 localhost wetek
    ::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback wetek

Sorry, this is wrong! Ping to your hostname, and you will see it ...

I wrote I don't know the side effects, but I read here of problems with Samba name resolution etc. Maybe there is a connection.

BTW, if IPv6 is disabled, why is ::1 added by connman? The IP of my hostname wetek here is not 127.0.0.1, but 192.168.178.40. 127.0.0.1 is the IP of the loopback device. There are many computers around where you can check that and even RFCs.

So please, correct that. Users writing bug reports and getting ignored, starts to loose fun ...

Take care
    ajb

Sometimes, when zapping through Sat-channel on the Wetek Play 2 box, it happens that the pictures move like "stop-and-go"; in the log I can see

[...]
    Nov 09 00:28:12 box kernel: codec:video_freerun_mode_store(0)
    Nov 09 00:28:13 box kernel: codec:video_freerun_mode_store(1)
    Nov 09 00:28:13 box kernel: codec:video_freerun_mode_store(0)
    Nov 09 00:28:14 box kernel: codec:video_freerun_mode_store(1)
    Nov 09 00:28:14 box kernel: codec:video_freerun_mode_store(0)
    Nov 09 00:28:15 box kernel: codec:video_freerun_mode_store(1)
    [...]

Swtiching from this channel to the next and back again, it will disappear. Does anybody have this too? What happens here?

I found the same error but twice ...

[...]
    Oct 25 19:39:03 wetek systemd[1]: Started Wait on network.
    Oct 25 19:39:03 wetek systemd[1]: Started Wait for network to be configured by ConnMan.
    Oct 25 19:39:03 wetek systemd[1]: Started TVHeadend42 Service.
    Oct 25 19:39:03 wetek systemd[1]: Started OSCam.
    Oct 25 19:39:03 wetek systemd[1]: Reached target Network is Online.
    Oct 25 19:39:03 wetek systemd[1]: Starting Kodi user autostart script...
    Oct 25 19:39:03 wetek sh[2743]: /storage/.kodi/addons/service.softcam.oscam/bin/oscam.start: eval: line 1: =false: not found
    Oct 25 19:39:03 wetek sh[2743]: /storage/.kodi/addons/service.softcam.oscam/bin/oscam.start: eval: line 1: =false: not found
    Oct 25 19:39:03 wetek systemd[1]: Started Kodi user autostart script.
    Oct 25 19:39:03 wetek systemd[1]: Starting Kodi Media Center...
    Oct 25 19:39:03 wetek systemd[1]: Started Kodi Media Center.
    Oct 25 19:39:03 wetek systemd[1]: Reached target Kodi Mediacenter Interface.
    [...]

I am confused because I don't see any error at the beginning of the script oscam.start

(strong) bugs on LibreELEC (Krypton) v7.90.007 ALPHA with WeTek Play2

1. Watching a Sat-TV-program: Sync out of audio and video appears very fast
    2. Changing a channel: nasty sound "click" - can be reduced with System-Settings->Audio->Keep audio device alive = Always (but only reduced)
    3. downscaling a UHD channel from 4K to Full HD doesn't work (it works in LE 7.1 by wrxtasy)
    4. Music often "yowls"

BTW, adding that to 3.) it is funny that downscaling UHD -> HD works within the preview window but not within the fullscreen one

also posted on WeTek forum, see LibreELEC (Krypton) v7.90.007 ALPHA - WeTek Community Forum

How can I change the kernel command line to set the kernel parameter "coherent_pool=1M", because one DVB-T-USB-stick quits with "dvb_usb_it913x: probe of 2-1:1.0 failed with error -12" ??
    see LibreELEC 7.1.0 / Kodi 16.1 for the Play2 by wrxtasy - Page 7 - WeTek Community Forum - same problem here with v7.90.007

I don't know any side effects of a bad hosts.conf on LibreELEC, but discovered that this configuration file isn't like I would write it.

Let's see (my box's name is kodi and set by dhcp) on unmodified hosts.conf:

hostname -s (short) = kodi ok
    hostname -f (fqdn) = localhost nok
    hostname -d (domain) = nok

Now we add
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.178.40 kodi kodi.fritz.box
    to /storage/.config/hosts.conf like in the example (IP short fqdn):

hostname -f (fqdn) = kodi nok
    hostname -d (domain) = nok

Now we change it to the correct way with
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.178.40 kodi.fritz.box kodi
    and get
    hostname -f (fqdn) = kodi.fritz.box ok
    hostname -d (domain) = fritz.box ok

Voilà - first comes the IP_address, then the canonical_hostname (FQDN) and optionally aliases...

So /storage/.config/hosts.conf should be:
    [hr]
    # hosts.conf

# This configuration file allows you to manually map hostnames to
    # IP addresses

# Format: IP_address canonical_hostname [aliases...]
    # Example: 192.168.0.3 libreelec.mynetwork libreelec

# NOTE: do not edit /etc/hosts directly
    # edit /storage/.config/hosts.conf then reboot

127.0.0.1 localhost
    ::1 localhost
    [hr]