Posts by PolarWeasel

Da Flex --

Thanks for responding. Yes, in the "System" settings in Kodi I have "Allow passthrough" ON, I have my "Passthrough output device" set to "ALSA: vc4-hdmi-0 (vc4hdmi0), MJI marantz-AVR on HDMI", and I have all the "... capable receiver" options ON. I have the "Audio output device" set to "ALSA: vc4-hdmi-0 (vc4hdmi0), MJI marantz-AVR on HDMI", "Number of channels" set to 5.1, and "Output configuration" set to "Best match".

When I play "Ride Across The River" over my network through Kodi, my Marantz AV7701 preprocessor indicates it's receiving "MULTI CH IN PCM 192kHz 3/2/.1" and when I play the same track over my network through my Oppo BDP-103, the AV7701 indicates it's receiving "MULTI CH IN DSD 3/2/.1".

Oddly, the BDP-103 is only capable of outputting DSD/DSF on its HDMI2 output, but that's the one I'm using -- connected to one of the HDMI inputs on the AV7701. I'm using one of my Raspberry Pi 5's 2 HDMI outputs connected directly to a different HDMI input on the AV7701. I thought perhaps only one input on the AV7701 supported DSF/DSD, so I tried connecting the Kodi HDMI output to the HDMI input normally connected to the BDP-103, but that had no effect.

Is there a DSF/DSD decoder add-on I need to add to Kodi? It sure seems to me that it should be working Out-Of-The-Box, but I'm willing to try pretty much anything.

I'm running a recent nightly build of LibreELEC (LibreELEC (official): 11.95.1 (RPi5.aarch64)).

Thanks again ... any suggestions?

-PolarWeasel

Bump.

Has anyone heard more information about this?

When I play DSD64 tracks via the latest Kodi nightly build (as of like 26 March 2024) on a Raspberry Pi 5, it converts DSD to PCM -- and I hear an obvious change in the audio for the front-center channel. For example, when I play the "Ride Across The River" DSF file (extracted from the Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" SACD) over my network on my Oppo BDP-103, it bitstreams native DSD and it sounds *great*. But when I play the same file with Kodi, the front-center channel volume is much lower and the channel has a ton of reverb / echo.

Kodi on RPi5 can stream DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD (be still my heart!) so if I can get it to bitstream DSD (and FLAC) it will officially be my Holy Grail of high-end audio players.

Does anyone have any recent info on DSD/DSF streaming with Kodi on Raspberry Pi?

-PolarWeasel