Posts by AlexFederici

So far my process (as I've only done this once) was to shut down LibreELEC/KODI gracefully using the menu options in KODI, unplug the USB and attach it to a laptop I bring with me, add/remove/update files as needed, then re-attach and turn the RPi5 back on. I noted that KODI did not see the removed/added files, so I had to have it rescan the library (I don't recall the exact term used in KODI, apologies for that).

I added the 14TB drive as a movie source (all files in one folder, not separate folders) and a TV source (these are in separate folders by program/series). As mentioned above, I use MediaElch to pre-populate the metadata for all the files given the lack of a network.

TL;dr: I'm trying to avoid bringing the laptop to do these updates, I'll investigate the File Manager, I suspect I'll need the keyboard for the best experience with that. Hopefully if all the content is in one folder it'll just let me select all and go. :P

As far as I know, KODI/LE shutdown and startup are not necessary, it's all plug&play for USB devices. But after adding new files (even if tagged) library rescan is obviously necessary.

You're trying not to use the laptop, correct? So, are you connecting the BD reader/writer to the Raspy, right?

If so, yes I think you'd need a keyboard and a mouse (if you get'em bluetooth it's all ready... just connect them in the LE bluetooth panel and everything will work). I don't go for this straightest option because I don't feel comfortable working with keyboard and mouse in my living room on the couch watching the TV (even with a 50"). :)

So I have a Raspberry Pi 5, it's attached to a 14TB external HDD via USB3. I have it loaded up with movies and TV shows. I use the LG Magic Remote via HDMI-CEC to control the RPi5 but I do have a wireless keyboard/trackpad (Logitech K400 Plus) I can use if needed via USB2 on the RPi5. As I convert more of my physical BD/4K-BD collection into files, I find myself wondering the best way to add these to the 14TB external HDD. I can technically shut down the RPi, attach the HDD to an external Windows laptop and add more media that way, but I'm hoping there's an interface within KODI I can use to just attach a second external storage (likely a 2TB SSD plugged into the other USB3 port temporarily), copy/move the newer content, then remove once I'm finished.

If there's a guide for this that I've missed, I apologize. I've done some Googling and maybe my Google-fu is broken, but all I get are guides on how to import libraries into LibreELEC/KODI (initially, on first use or when adding a new server/NAS), not what I'm actually trying to do. =)

Any advice or links to relevant guides are appreciated!

On different Raspberries I've been using external USB drives with TB and TB of space for music and movies directly connected since 2016. The procedure is much more simpler than the couple you mentioned. The Raspy for USB devices has always been plug and play, with every distro, LE included. If you want to do exactly what I do every 3-4-5 weeks (after several downloads got on my laptop): just detach the USB drive, attach it to the laptop, load whatever you want on present or newer folders, re-attach it to the Raspy and enjoy. Never a problem, and I use NTFS everywhere on my drives for robustness of data, and no need to switch off and on the RPi.

I don't know how you access the data on the drive... I use the Raspy automatic mounting/dismounting, that put/put away the USB drives under /media/

My 2 cents

Alex

Hey, today I tried with the latest nightly build (20240313, about 2 or 3 versions after the problematic one) and everything is OK now!

- System booting

- Multi USB storage perfectly functioning

- Latest EEPROM version

- Latest LE and Linux kernel versions

- Latest Kodi version

I'm rescanning libraries right now. Thanks a lot everyone!

Hello Harry.

The answer is the first case: it's an autonomous POWERED hub with a lot of USB slots, connected to only one Raspberry USB3 port. Now I've been using it for several years since my previous Raspberry Pi3 exactly because of the limitations in power of the Raspy. In my vision is the lot cheaper and more flexible way (I use to frequently move the USB drives to the ports of my notebook for moving and tagging new files and other things) to have a NAS.

About recent kernels: isn't it the last LE 12 kernel the same as the last LE 11?

It's not the answer you are wanting, I know, but with that amount of storage and such a large database, you will probably get a much better experience if you use a NAS for storage rather than locally attached drives (easier to maintain) and run MySQL on the NAS to have a shared database.

Yes, you're right... I've always been quite a nerd and I love to play with technology, so I thought at once about a NAS at the time in which I decided to liquify all my music in 2016.

But... I'd use the NAS only for RPi5 and its cost would be extremely higher than my actual 4 Seagate USB3 external disk drive. Moreover the performances with multiple USB drives (upgradable: I've got 2 2TB for music that probably will become 2 5TB) are fantastic both with 24bit .flac music files and with 4K movie files (with RPi5 obviously).

Thanks anyway... I'm looking forward to install more stable versions of LE 12.

Hello.

I had a fantastic couple of months with the hardware/software in the subject, except the EEPROM version, that was stuck on september 2023 version.

Saturday unfortunately I found the possibility to upgrade the EEPROM in Libreelec update panel, but after I checked the button for the upgrade, the RPi5 couldn't boot anymore, displaying a lot of errors in memory and something related to the USB drives. Without the USB system attached the RPi5 boot normally; if I attach the hub after booting, everything freezes and I have to do a cold reboot.

Since I needed the system for music (3 discs for about 9TB, almost full) and for movies (1 disc for 5TB, full), I tried to fix the problem at once, and I ended switching back to LE 11 (last nightly build). With LE 11 (and EEPROM 2712 obviously) everything is OK.

Unfortunately I had to rebuild all the music library (export/import didn't work, I don't know why) and moreover the library with Kodi 20 is not as complete and rich and precise as with Kodi 21...

I didn't save logs because I was quite in a hurry... now I can only wait for a stable LE 12 without these problems, or try to downgrade the EEPROM, but this last thing seems not so simple.

Thanks in advance and kind regards

Alex