Posts by robbie599

Thanks Guys. That’s very interesting.

On reflection the title I used: “Simple NAS” is a bit misleading. What I’m really aiming for is the cheapest possible network storage device for my small library of Movies and TV Shows - without backup.

In my case I don’t need a backup as the master versions are held on my PC and these are already backed up to external drives on a regular basis using (free) Macrium Reflect.

I should add that:

I don’t want to accumulate a huge library of Movies and TV Shows, as I’ve found in the past that I rarely have the time or inclination to access any of these.

I experimented with a friend’s old SBC + 1TB SSD as a network storage device, and discovered that if LE was installed on it, all problems relating to access from Windows File Explorer as a result of using Linux, simply went away. Like magic.

Thanks again.

I have a RPi running LE in my lounge. I am proposing to buy an RPi4 with 2GB RAM, install LE, attach a 1TB SSD, and use this as a simple media network storage device to feed my LAN.

The SSD contains a variety of media including 4K HDR movies.

The advantage of this setup is that is cheap, easy to set up, and means that I could easily add or delete files from my Windows PC.

Grateful for any advice whether 2GB RAM is appropriate for this job, and also, whether I could update this to a larger SSD (say 2TB) should the need arise.