Posts by charwhee

Hi, I have a 3B+ that I'd like to use as for Kodi, and I thought using libreElec would be a nice lightweight distro to use, but I've run into some problems, so I'd like to confirm what I've read and next steps.

1. Please do not suggest getting a RBP4 or a different machine. That is not helpful and does not answer my question.

2. My understanding is that RBP3 doesn't use standard (hardware) video acceleration, and will run worse on newer versions, so the best version to use is 9.2 since that was built pre-4 and has all the specialized video accelerations tricks for RBP built in.

3. However, I get the rainbow screen because the firmware in 9.2 isn't new enough so it won't boot the RBP3b+. So I need to get the firmware from RBPOS and add it to the older version for it to boot. Will that screw up the video acceleration?

4. I can't get the most recent version of LibreElec to boot, but the most current version of RBPOS boots.

Is that it? Will updating the firmware in the libreElec 9.2 image still retain the video acceleration for the RBP3b+?

Why offer 11.0 for RBP2/3 if the performance is worse?

Why not port the video hacks to that image so it works as well as the older version?

Thanks,

Charlie