Posts by MatrixNetrunner

So it seems that not only could there be a Kodi/Librelec growing pains. It could also be my hardware. I checked my TX-NR787 reciever and according to the specs, all HDMI inputs are HDCP2.2 compliant.

https://www.zkelectronics.com/receiver/onkyo-tx-nr787/

BUT, I then came across a post explaning the differences between HDCPv2.2 and HDMIv2.0. There was blurb in that that referred to Onk's units;

https://www.audioholics.com/hdtv-formats/hdmi-2.0-hdcp-2.2

This to me is bullsh!t. Manufacturers shouldn't be allowed to pull this kind of stuff and still get certification with the licensing bodies. Either they stick to the spec or they don't get certified to show the logo.

I have Onkyo TX-NR646 (launched in 2015) and I suspect that this HDMI bandwidth limitation definitely affects my model. It seems like that I have to turn off support for more than 8 bit per color channel in order to have proper audio pass-through when utilizing dtsX or Dolby TrueHD (Atmos) in combination with 2160p 23.976 Hz video.

If I leave the default support for 12 bit per channel enabled, the receiver indicates that it is showing RGB 36bit 3840x2160 23.976Hz video. The issue is that when the sound channels are utilized intensively (action scene with a backing soundtrack), the sound will cut out for a second or two, and then come back on as if nothing happened. This is very jarring and usually happens in the most annoying moments.

This does not affect other audio formats, only dtsX/DTS.MA and Dolby Atmos/TrueHD, and only when using 36bit 3840x2160 23.976Hz video. If I turn off Deep Color support on the receiver or use non HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 ports, the video is shown in 24 bit color and everything works just fine. They probably didn't expect 36bit RGB UHD video when they made this design tradeoff

I think they may have fixed this issue by the time your model came out (2018).

This may be a HDMI cable issue. I checked the necessary bandwidth for image transmission with resolution of 2160p at 24bit per channel and you only have enough bandwidth for 68 frames per second at max HDMI 2.0 capacity. Adding in audio transmission and you are at full capacity at 60 Hz. I would get a HDMI 2.1 compliant cable and try it to see if this is the problem.

HDMI v1.4 and HDMI v2.0 cables are wired identically, and if you use short cables (under 2 m) you could probably get away with using a HDMI v1.4 cable. But just to be safe, get a decent HDMI v2.0 or v2.1 cable and avoid the hassle.

AGLyons, I had something similar happen on an older Onkyo receiver that did not support HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 on all HDMI inputs. If I connect my Zotac mini PC to HDMI 1-3 I can get 3840x2160p 23.976Hz 36bit RGB with BT2020 colorspace (with the latest LibreELEC build from this thread). But If I connect to other inputs I can get 3840x2160p 23.976Hz 24bit RGB with BT2020 somehow.

Does your receiver support full HDMI 2.0 on both outputs, or on only one (the main one)? Try hooking up the projector to the main output to see if it makes any difference. The other reason you might have issues flipping the projector to HDR mode automatically is that the Inter driver defaults to RGB colorspace , and the projector might be expecting the very specific YUV 4:2:2 color space to recognize the signal as HDR.

Since you can force it to BT2020 colorspace manually, at least you get to have this functionality (with a bit of fiddling).