Posts by ds000

I thought some stupidity on my side for a while: At some point the PROJECT=Allwinner ARCH=arm DEVICE=H3 UBOOT_SYSTEM="orangepi-pc" make image doesn't generate bootable sd card images any more. I was just using some previously written card with an older image and just exchanged the KERNEL and SYSTEM with the newly compiled one (on the first partition). Which works without any problems. Only problem: It is quite tedious (slow) to clone a card to get a fresh booting version that way. Diffing the scripts/(mk)image files there are some changes ... but they do not look very dramatic to me. Any ideas? Thank you!

I just took the patch from an earlier kernel (which fixed the aforementioned problem):

maybe, this was not the brightest idea :)

I was distracted with other stuff and boards for a while: Came back to the Orange Pi PC. The new images work really great. Unfortunately the patch for software CEC does not work any more, running the build linux throws a message that it assumes the patch was already applied. Same state with the Sony (non-working) and Samsung TVs like before, but without the mitigation option.

I was looking into a bit similar problem. As stated above, the magic is the device tree (overlay). It is required to get the pin routing right, here the newer kernels and dts need to work together properly. For getting e.g. SPDIF output to work, I had to modify the device tree file to actually enable it (creating packages/linux/patches/default/linux-080-odroid-c2.patch):

That worked for me a couple of month ago, unfortunately I fried my C2 board and thus being unable to test it again. Hope this find someone helpful though ...

For getting SPDIF output to work on recent LibreELEC (11.0), I had to modify the device tree file to actually enable it and make it visible to KODI (creating packages/linux/patches/default/linux-080-odroid-c2.patch):

That worked for me a couple of month ago with SPDIF, unfortunately fried the board, thus unable to test it again.

The Allwinner H3 support on the Orange Pi PC matured a lot over the years, appreciate that! Unfortunately the once perfectly working CEC control somehow degraded in newer versions. I checked the older 10.X standard image available for direct download - working like a charm. In 11.0 and the development branch it is really sluggish for SONY KDL50W805B (works perfect for some older SAMSUNG model):

• In many cases it switches the TV (SONY FullHD, 5y) on and switches to the proper HDMI
    • The message that the CEC adapter got recognized takes longer to appear compared to 10.X version (in kodi main screen)
    • Sometimes the Orange Pi reacts to key presses on the TV remote, often not. Usually, double presses do not get recognized. If running for a while, nothing happens any more
    • When switching off kodi and getting down to the commandline (cec-ctl) it won't react as well
    • I checked CPU frequencies and scaling governors if they could have an impact on that - no changes in behavior

Other devices like a Pine Rock64 work with the newest version without problems.

From cec-ctl I get (kodi stopped to avoid blocking of the device):

I can provide the kodi debug messages for CEC, but they pretty much say the same as for the command line tool.

I checked for differences in the kernel code for CEC, didn't see much changes here from the kernel used in 10.X and the latest ones (I'm not an expert though). I've no idea what might influence the CEC implementation showing such effects :( Any ideas where to look for a solution/fix?

I'd like to do some minor modifications to the image and thus compile the package by my self. Works perfectly for 11.0 and the latest stuff, but not for 10.X any more.

Thank you!