Posts by Knotte

Sooo, I am now running the Odroid N2+ with 2 GB and my H265/4k/HDR/Atmos videos are finally playing as smoothly as they should. This thing is a beast with 50% more power in the CPU Benchmark add-on, and I guess the whole hardware is just way more powerful.

As suggested by chewitt I also tried overclocking the Pi 4 according to https://forum.libreelec.tv since I am running it in their great passively cooled case:

• arm_freq=1950
    • gpu_freq=650
    • over_voltage=5

But it did not help with the stuttering.

Since LibreELEC is only in alpha stadium for the Odroid and does not play those H265 videos at all for me, I switched to CoreELEC, which is identical and running perfectly so far.

So it could also be that CoreELEC has a "better" or just different (since it's a different SoC) implementation of decoding high-end H265 files?

But I guess I am in the wrong forum from now on. :saint:

Just wanted to let everyone know who are still looking for the "right box" to play videos like those mentioned.

Thanks for the hints regarding network performance.

But even if I play from my external harddrive, where streaming high bitrates is not a problem, I still get microstutters playing 4k+HDR files with Atmos. Since everything else is playing smoothly, I can only think of the SoC being the bottleneck and was wondering if you know about the Pi's limits regarding playback. It sould not be a software problem, right?

I should try and play 4k+Atmos files with lower bitrates to verify that, but I don't think it's the bitrate but processing 4k+HDR+Atmos at the same time.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum but have happily owned a Pi 4 with LE for over a year now.

Now that I have more and more movies in x265/4K/24p/HDR/Atmos AND about 80 GB in size it has become hard to watch them since I get micro stutters. I am playing my movies from an external USB 3.2 harddrive (130 MB/s).

Movies with DTS are still playing fine. Or when I switch a movie with both Atmos and DTS audio tracks to DTS it's also working fine, but Atmos combined with those high bitrates seems to be too much for the Pi's hardware, I guess?

In addition, I finally switched to a Synology NAS which, of course, makes it even worse. Wifi hardware is pretty crappy on the Pi, I only get about 10 MB/s which is 80 Mbit/s, with my movies having about 65 Mbit/s. :D (On my laptop I almost always get 250 Mbit/s).

So my question is which alternative device would you suggest that can handle both 4k/Atmos videos properly AND has better Wifi hardware?

Would the Vero 4K+ be enough? It's chipset seems to be even weaker than the Pi's, but since it's all-in-one, it might be implemented better?

The ODROID-N2+ looks pretty strong and I obvisouly could run LE nightlies, which I would prefer over OSMC.

A NUC seems too expensive and too much hassle just for playing movies.

Thanks for any advice!